Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Spokes?!
  • matther01
    Free Member

Got some new rims on order and will be attempting my first build but confused by the vast array of spokes.

I’m a fairly light rider and will be running 32H and would like some light but strong spokes for general trail riding with hopefully a trip to the Alps in the coming year.

I hear sapim CX rays are race light but suitable for downhill?

Any others I should be thinking about. Will be running AC hubs with Spank Oozy 295s in 27.5.

Oh, and brass or alloy nipples?

Cheers

Stevelol
    Free Member

Sapim race or DT comps.

Brass nips.

njee20
    Free Member

Comps and brass nips will be a solid choice. Revolutions and alu nips if you want light and will sacrifice durability and stiffness. Don’t bother with CX-Rays, speaking as someone who’s used them several times.

orangeboy
    Free Member

Personaly I use alloy nips on my own wheels but they are a pain as the wheels age
    For customer wheels I always recomend brass

Cx rays are a lot of money with little benefit IMO
    Dt comp or aci double butted as a good but cheap option

aracer
    Free Member

Stevelol gave the correct answer in the first reply. Apart from the other reasons given, anything thinner – which includes CX-Rays – will make building harder when you’re a first time builder, and so make it less likely you’ll do a good job. Like Nick I’ve built with CX-Rays (and revs and alu nips), but I’d also strongly recommend against them unless you have a really good reason (in my case on road wheels where I was after the tiny aero benefit).

Rorschach
    Free Member

Sapim Race (or D-Light).
    Dt Comps
    Brass nips.

benpinnick

DT Comp Races are nice.

njee20
    Free Member

Do you mean Super Comps Ben? No such thing as a Comp Race…?

bencooper
    Free Member

Do you want a wheel that just works and lasts a long time? DT Comp and brass nipples. Do you want lightweight bling? Revolutions and alloy nipples.

carlosg
    Free Member

Another vote for Sapim race from me 🙂

njee20
    Free Member

Do you want lightweight bling?

Bling implies form over function, but as alu nips and Revs look identical there’s no ‘bling’ factor! Agree that Revs and alu nips are good for lightweight builds (to the detriment of longevity), but no reason to sound so scathing, there’s a significant weight saving.

I’ve had wheels so built last years too, it’s not like they’ll fall apart in 6 months!

aracer
    Free Member

I’m quite happy to admit my wheels with Revs and alu nips (pleased to see I’m not the only one using the correct term) are lightweight bling. I do after all have gold alu nips 😉 I’m reclaiming the term from those who might use it in a scathing way. The thing is, for most folk (which to be honest includes me nowadays) the weight saving is insignificant.

bencooper
    Free Member

Bling implies form over function, but as alu nips and Revs look identical there’s no ‘bling’ factor! Agree that Revs and alu nips are good for lightweight builds (to the detriment of longevity), but no reason to sound so scathing, there’s a significant weight saving.

Was I being scathing? I’ve built lots of wheels with Revs, they’re great spokes.

njee20
    Free Member

There was a scathing tone, my apologies if my assessment was wrong!

nemesis
    Free Member

For a first build (and for the riding you mention) sick with standard db spokes eg comps or equivalent.

I’d recommend ACI ssdb spokes from sdeals.com. I’ve built loads of wheels with them, they’re as good as DT comps and cost a load less.

ajantom

Some good deals on Sapim spokes at On-One at the moment….. Sapim spokes
    Standard – 20p each
    Race – 30p each
    CX Ray – £1.49 each

It doesn’t mention nipples, but the ones I bought came with them.

jimc101
    Free Member

Problem with PX prices is either they have very limited availability as in the Standard spokes, or just a few at the price you first see, as in the Race, most as 59p each (only 265mm & 269mm in silver @ 30p), which is more than Spa do them for.

ajantom

True, but if you they do have the length you need at the lowest price it’s a Brucie Bonus 😀

tomaso
    Free Member

Rose and Bike-discount
    De often have good deals on DT spokes

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Spokes?!’ is closed to new replies.