Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Spokes..
  • bennn
    Free Member

First time building wheels so please bear with me;

Long story short, I’ve used DT Swiss spoke calculator for Hope Pro2 Evo hubs and Mavic EN521 Disc rims, which is coming up with a true spoke length of 257.6mm (front left) 259.2mm (front right)
    258.9mm (rear left) 257.8mm (rear right) Do these lengths sound right?

Also when ordering, will just ordering 260mm be ok, since the rim’s will be double walled to accomodate the end of the spoke?

Furthermore, I’m looking at DT Swiss Comp spokes, or Sapim Leader spokes, either with brass nipples, are there any reasons for/against either?.. Other than Sapim appear to be quite hard to find in the UK.

Thanks in advance, Ben

takisawa2

Download a copy of spokecalc, I use that & another one but can’t remember which one.

Danger with going up too high, is the nipples running out of thread & bottoming out.

bennn
    Free Member

Ok will do.

Am I better off ordering 258mm’s then or will they be too short?

Also where’s best to get accurate dimensions for Pro2 Evo’s and/or Mavic EN521’s?

Ta!

Sum
    Free Member

I calculated 258.2mm and 259.8mm L/R front and 259.3mm and 258.5mm for L/R rear, using the Edd spoke calc and assuming an ERD of 536mm. Spokes tend to come in 2mm jumps so I’d get 258mm and 260mm for both front and rear.

I tend to get DT Swiss simply because of their availability.

bennn
    Free Member

So 16 of each front & rear?

ir_bandito
    Free Member

Yep, 16 of 258 and 260 for front and rear sounds right.

Rosebikes are good for DT spokes usually.
    ACI Alpina are good IME and cost a lot less than DT and Sapim – check out sdeals.com

aracer
    Free Member

Danger with going up too high, is the nipples running out of thread & bottoming out.

This. Personally I’d never buy a spoke longer than the calculated length (not even 0.2mm longer) as the calculator doesn’t account for the spokes stretching when under tension, and that stretch can be quite significant. Just get all 258 – you’ll have plenty of thread engaged even if that’s nominally almost 2mm too short.

takisawa2

Going on an ERD of 535mm…

IMAG0187 by pten2106, on Flickr

IMAG0188 by pten2106, on Flickr

IMAG0189 by pten2106, on Flickr

IMAG0190 by pten2106, on Flickr

IMAG0191 by pten2106, on Flickr

64 x 258mm
    🙂

Just be mindful of the few mm differences if you spin them all down with a nipple driver first. It will set them all exactly the same, you’ll then have to back them off accordingly. The thread pitch is 0.45mm so every nipple turn will load or unload 0.45mm.

bennn
    Free Member

General consensus seems to be to get 258mm, so I’ll do that, cheers everyone.

Sum
    Free Member

This. Personally I’d never buy a spoke longer than the calculated length (not even 0.2mm longer) as the calculator doesn’t account for the spokes stretching when under tension, and that stretch can be quite significant.

Providing you don’t buy a spoke that is too long (or too short for that matter) or use a different length nipple (ooer) that the spoke calc assumed then running out of thread isn’t going to be an issue as the spoke thread is meant to allow for some adjustment. Also note that buying too short a spoke can also cause problems hence I prefer to stick with Wheelpro’s advice of not deviating more than +/- 1mm from the specified figure.

bennn
    Free Member

Got 64 Sapim Leaders at 258mm, and 70 Sapim Polyax brass nippless for £22. 😀

Also where’s best to get accurate dimensions for Pro2 Evo’s and/or Mavic EN521’s?

http://www.hopetech.com/webtop/modules/_repository/documents/2010HUBoffsetandpcd.pdf

aracer
    Free Member

the spoke thread is meant to allow for some adjustment.

It is – but as stated the spoke calculators don’t allow for spoke stretch, so the actual spoke length required is shorter than that calculated. If you get the calculated length then you’re limiting the range of adjustment available.

nickc

I use Sapim…Just because, but either of your choice is fine. I would gone with 258 and 260, but it’ll probably be cool, nothing worth sweating about.

Sum
    Free Member

It is – but as stated the spoke calculators don’t allow for spoke stretch, so the actual spoke length required is shorter than that calculated. If you get the calculated length then you’re limiting the range of adjustment available.

No but I suspect the spoke manufacturers do allow for it as I can’t say that I’ve had any problems with the range of adjustment when using the calculated values rounded to the nearest mm. Is the running-out-of-thread issue something you have experienced with a particular make or gauge of spoke or something you’ve imagined might happen if you don’t always round down?

takisawa2

bennn…mind if I ask, where did you get the Sapim spokes…?

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Spokes..’ is closed to new replies.