Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Spoke Tension
  • chestercopperpot
    Free Member

What would cause all the spokes of a wheel to lose tension?

Just trued up a few wheels and one of the fronts from the oldest set had really loose spokes, needed a full revolution of the spoke key on every spoke to get it something like.

I assume it happens incrementally over time and I’ve only noticed when it’s got really bad.

dovebiker

Spokes weren’t tight enough in the first place – the spoke de-tensions under load and allows the nipple to incrementally work loose.

orangeboy
    Free Member

Uneven tension and or to little tension in the first place

tjagain

I have had this a well on the tandem – took about 50 miles for the wheel to go all floppy

epicyclo

orangeboy – Member
    Uneven tension and or too little tension in the first place

Usually this.

I dip the nipples in olive oil to lubricate them and that makes it easier to get tensions exactly even.

A long time ago I found that when I didn’t do this sometimes there was a bit of spoke wind up, and that unwound during use or when the bike was standing.

It’s one of the nice things about modern rims, they are more rigid, and can take a bit of tension so there’s less chance of unwinding due to rim flex.

chestercopperpot
    Free Member

Oil the nipples I’m down for that.

billyboy
    Free Member

The wheel builders I was taught by were against lubrication or locking compounds— allow the natural friction to hold things, I think was the principle!!

Maybe you have a fracture/ hairline crack in the hub or the rim!!! You get everything tight but when the wheel revolves and moves the fracture gives and sends everything out of tension and true- Hope hub?

chestercopperpot
    Free Member

No it’s not a Hope hub. Not sure what it is TBH.

Ridden it this morning and it’s stayed put but I will have a closer inspection and make sure there are no cracks.

greyspoke
    Free Member

Was that extra virgin olive oil?

I use linseed oil, so if anyone whacks a cricket ball at my wheel it’s going straight back at ’em.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Spoke Tension’ is closed to new replies.