Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Spoke length tolerances
  • ir_bandito
    Free Member

For a new wheelset I’m building, in theory I need 295.1 and 295.5 on the front, 291.6 on both sides of the rear.

Obviously it would be cheaper if I could just get a box of a single size.

Can I get away with building both wheels with 294mm spokes, which would be 1.1/1.6mm short on the front and 2.4mm too long on the rear?

Or go for 293 (if available) which would be 2.1/2.5mm short on the front, but only 1.6 too long on the rear.

What’s better: too long (and possibly snip the ends off if they stick through) or too short?

Or should I be sensible and get 296 on the front and 292 on the rear?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Bigger Nipples?

ir_bandito
    Free Member

I’m assuming the spokes come with standard 12mm nipples, so buying some 14mm for the front wheels is extra cost and probably just as cost effective to buy a sepreate box of spokes.

wysiwyg
    Free Member

jus buy the spokes from lbs in correct length? or shorter spoke length longer nipples…

rocketman
    Free Member

I went into the lbs for a spoke the other day it was like asking them to perform brain surgery.

Even though I had the wheel with me there was an animated discussion between the assistants about the ‘best’ spoke length. Eventually the consensus was if in doubt to go slightly shorter because the spoke would stretch

Too long was a definite no-no

ir_bandito
    Free Member

Cheers. Slight downside to longer nipples is a HUGE increase in rotating mass 😉

I’ll see what the LBS can do…

cynic-al
    Free Member

rocketman – Member
    Eventually the consensus was if in doubt to go slightly shorter because the spoke would stretch

What guff – find a new LBS.

OP +2mm will be OK as long as the length is spot-on.

ir_bandito
    Free Member

Just been to my LBS. He doesn’t have quite the right length in stock, but will buy a box of each so I can buy a wheel’s worth.
    Sorted.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Spoke length tolerances’ is closed to new replies.