Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Spoke length….. Stupid question alert
  • doncorleoni
    Free Member

Mulefut 50 rear wheel

Just come in from lovely autumn ride and managed to pop a spoke.

Broke at the J bend as they all seem to.

What would be the most likely size….measures 298mm with my highly accurate measuring tape, but I guess it could have stretched

vincienup
    Free Member

Difficult to say without knowing more about the wheel.

Various dimensions for the hub are needed plus the distance between rim bed side to side to make an accurate assessment.

However, if you have the broken spoke and it’s snapped on the j bend, measure the length to the beginning of the threads and ask for one of those. TBH, most shops I’ve asked in would want to see the spoke if they could anyway. 🙂

jonba
    Free Member

I thought a bit longer was ok provided it is not going to poke through your rim. I’ve never built a wheel though, just fixed a few. Bike shop might be a good shout for individual spokes as most places online what you to buy 20+ Bike shop will also measure for you.

johnners
    Free Member

measure the length to the beginning of the threads

To the end of the spoke, surely? Unless that’s what you mean by the beginning of the threads. But as above, just take it to the bike shop, they’ll do it.

vincienup
    Free Member

Yep… badly worded version of ‘take nipple off and measure to end ‘ !

cynic-al
    Free Member

Measure end to inside of J.

132mm on your pic.

stretch – never.

coatesy
    Free Member

All this also assumes it was the correct length to start with, check the others and work from there, correct length will be about flush with the base of the slot in the nipple.

Speeder

Does it REALLY matter within a mm or 2? Can’t think of any reason it would. Once you have full engagement on the spoke thread surely that’s ok?

doncorleoni
    Free Member

So I probably want very helpful with my OP thanks for all the replies. The tape starts at 100mm just to throw a curve ball. Ha. Just measured a fresh spoke removed from the same wheel….measures 298 long to end of thread. I have a few 290s and they bite on the nipple but far too short.

Ordered a pack of 298 so that should do it.

Thanks

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Spoke length….. Stupid question alert’ is closed to new replies.