Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Spoke length question and buying hubs from australia
  • chrishc777
    Free Member

Spoke length calculators ask for pcd, which is the hole diameter and can be found for most hubs, then centre to each flange. Some of companies tend to give flange to flange and offset, am I correct in assuming I then subtract the offset from the drive side on a rear hub and add it to the disc side?

ie F to F of 100 and offset of 10, drive side 90, disc 110

Then the opposite on the front, ie F to F of 100 and offset of ten giving disc 90 and 110 non disc?

Couldn’t they just give the data needed for the calculator?!

Also looking at buying some novatec hubs from australia, anyone bought anything similar? Any idea on customs charges if any?

Thanks for any help, had a couple beers and this is doing my head in!

aracer
    Free Member

er, 40 and 60

otherwise you’re about right – flange to flange and offset is a fairly standard way of measuring them though.

Not quite sure why you’d import Novatec hubs from Australia though – they’re fairly generic and available from shops in the UK.

chrishc777
    Free Member

Yeah silly error there! Thanks.

For some reason they’re less than half the price I can find them in the uk for

honourablegeorge

Aren’t Superstar a Novatec hub?

chrishc777
    Free Member

By the looks of them probably, still twice as much even with postage though

jimc101
    Free Member

For some reason they’re less than half the price I can find them in the uk for

Have you looked on eBay? there is a Polish seller who has Novatec hubs normally cheaper/HTF hubs than UK suppliers, no issues with VAT/Import duty either as they are in the EU.

Poopscoop

As above, try an eu seller as you’ll probably get hit for import tax otherwise.

I say probably, meaning you should definitely pay it, but customs might miss it. However Customs is much better than it used to be in this respect so best assume you will pay it.** There is an online calculator for import tax for when your through with the spoke one! Lol

**Other option is to start a multi billion dollar company up and then paying tax in the UK becomes all but a distant memory. 😉 Maybe a bit over the top to just get some hubs though. 😀

Brother_Will
    Free Member

Okay so I ordered these hubs from Australia, probably the same seller as yours. I didn’t have to pay important tax on them they took about a week to arrive. I think I have all the measurements I took somewhere so I will dig them out later today. What I would say though is spend a little extra to get the interchangeable axle versions I wish I had.

stevied
    Free Member

Have a look here: http://www.bikestacja.pl/en/

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Spoke length question and buying hubs from australia’ is closed to new replies.