Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Spoke length help for a wheel build
  • robhughes
    Free Member

Evening all.
    So wheelset will be 26″ flow ex on dt 350 hubs.
    Pro wheel builder says.
    Front.
    Left spoke length: 260.6
    Right spoke length: 262.4
    Rear.
    Left spoke length: 261.5
    Right spoke length: 261.3
    What size spokes do i go for and nipple length.
    First wheel build so go easy on me… 😉
    Thanks all..

rickon
    Free Member

Personally,

16*260

48*262

With the nipple size that the calculator used to work out your lengths.

You could be clever and use all the same size nipples and use 12mm for the three longest spokes and 14mm for the one shortest set.

But check the size the calculator was using first.

transporter13
    Free Member
    robhughes
    Free Member

rickon.No nipple length on the pro wheel builder calculator.
    transporter13 .That site is just too muckin fuch for my brain. 😀

rickon
    Free Member

Chances are they are using 12mm nipples. So, you could go for a big box of 260, use 16*12mm nipples and 48*14mm nipples.

Or you could use different length spokes as above.

I’d use different length spokes personally.

robhughes
    Free Member

Cheers rickon.Will be using the correct length spokes so you reckon 14mm.

rickon
    Free Member

Nope 12mm I think they’ll use in the calc. To be sure have a look a DT Swiss calculator, it gives the option of your spokes and nipples.

goldenwonder
    Free Member

If you’re doing it properly, nipple length doesn’t really affect the spoke length, as you’d try & get the spoken to correct point in correlation to the ERD of the rim, so the spoke will come halfway through the slot at the top of the nipple for maximum support.
    *edit*
    I’d double check the calcs if you can, there’s usually around a 2mm difference in rear lengths unless it’s crazy flange diameters or it’s an offset rim.

rickon
    Free Member

Yeah, looks like front and rear hubs are back to front in how the OP has written it.

robhughes
    Free Member

rikon.Just double checked on the prowheelbuild site and that’s the figures it’s coming up with.??
    link
    DT swiss’s one won’t let me enter flow ex.Can someone do me a solid and calc this for me please please.. 😀

rickon
    Free Member

Choose ‘user input’ on the DT Swiss calculator, then use the ERD of 538 and weight of 400g.

Then choose your hubs.

robhughes
    Free Member

Cheers rikon.As i said first build so all new to me bud.
    Front left 259
    Front right 260
    Rear left 260
    Rear right 260

Does that sound right bud..

robhughes
    Free Member

Bump

robhughes
    Free Member

Is there anybody out there.. 😥

steezysix
    Free Member

I’ve only built one wheel so far, but i used the Sapim spoke calculator as it seemed a lot more simple than the DT one. The wheel came out fine and is still going 2k+ miles later.

Here’s the link.

rickon
    Free Member

Just done the calcs myself, personally I’d go with a big set of 260mm spokes. There’s a variance of just over 1mm, which will be totally fine – you can have a variance of 2mm and get away with it.

Have a look at Bike-Discount.de for spokes, as they’re usually very good for price.

What had confused me before was that I was expecting the spokes to be smaller on the rear, as you build them asymettrical, but the DT hubs have smaller flanges to account for that and make the build simpler. 🙂

robhughes
    Free Member

Superb.Thanks very much rickon.Your a star.12 or 14mm nipples?
    What width spokes 2mm ?
    If you don’t mind helping out bud.

munkster
    Free Member

Not sure if it has been covered up above but *AFAIK* (and double check this) Sapim 12/14mm nips have the same thread lengths (so spoke length calcs are unaffected) but DT 12/14mm ones have different thread lengths. I have got round having to think about the implications of this by, yes you guessed it, just using Sapim nips 😉

rickon
    Free Member

Spokes… Depends on what you want. If you want to have dependable and pretty much bombproof, then Dt Competition are awesome. They also do a triple butted spoke, the supercomp, they’re more likely to break at the nipple. Then there’s the revolution, which is fine for XC and trail, but not Enduro/DH.

Ive not bothered with other brands, so can’t comment on sapim etc…

robhughes
    Free Member

So these wee felas for a tough build then rickon.Sorry to pester you bud.
    link

dufusdip
    Free Member

I built DT swiss 350 on flow ex rims as my first build and confused myself by using multiple spoke calculators. DT swiss turned out to be the best and I think I was 258 & 260 on both.

Good luck and nothing like building a set that is true and stays straight.

goldenwonder
    Free Member

To throw another one into the mix, we use the Wheepro spoke calc at work when we’re not doing it manually & find that excellent.
    You’ll also find that not all spokes are equal-DT’s usually come up slightly short on the claimed length (aournd .5mm) whereas Halo are often slightly long for the same given length-just something to consider if you can’t get the exact sizes you’re after, or how critical exact lengths are to you.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Spoke length help for a wheel build’ is closed to new replies.