Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Spoke length for a DT swiss build
  • howsyourdad1
    Free Member

Hi , sorry to ask but I have a DT 240s 142 x 12 bolt through 32 hole DBIS hub, and I want to attempt to build a wheel with a DT swiss 27.5 ex 471 rim.

https://www.bike-components.de/en/DT-Swiss/EX-471-27-5-Disc-Rim-p37959/black-27-5-32-hole-o207602/

From googling I think i need spokes of 272mm and 273mm

Would anyone with some knowledge if wheelbuilding confirm that for me?

Ta!

blastit
    Free Member
    howsyourdad1
    Free Member

cheers. 273 it is then. Anything else i need to know?

stevied
    Free Member

If you’re building it yourself I can recommend making a tool for the nipples using a disc rotor bolt.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

oooh tell me more

fieldini
    Free Member

471 rims should come with squorx nipples and dhr washers. You can’t use a standard nipple driver as they are like an inverted torx. This is why you can attach a rotor bolt to something like a T-shaped allen key and use that as the squorx nipple driver is expensive and hard to get hold of.
    Also looks like you want 272 and 274mm spokes.

stevied
    Free Member

oooh tell me more

The torx on a rotor bolt is the same size as the squorx nipple head. I got a piece of bar and drilled/tapped it M5 to take a rotor bolt. Needed to reduce the diameter of the head of the bolt slightly so that it would fit though the rim.

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

I thought squorx was mavic

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

[Late edit] Sorry that should have been phrased as a question but a customer rudely interrupted my stw time

simondbarnes

I thought squorx was mavic

Nope, Dt Swiss.

mudmonster
    Free Member

I built 401’s onto pro 2 evo’s using this one:

http://www.prowheelbuilder.com/spokelengthcalculator

It didn’t take into the account that squorx nipples seem to have more of the threaded part inside the rim. (Maybe dt swiss’s calculator takes this into account?)So the spokes were too short, I used standard brass nipples and it was spot on.

Made a squorx driver from a disc rotor bolt and a piece of dowel.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

sounds very hectic

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

yes dt swiss calculator lists 15mm squorx nipples as default. it also gives me 273mm for both Dside and NDside. does that sound right?

lustyd
    Free Member

Get yourself a strong magnet to retrieve the washers that fall into the gap in the rim and I recommend investing the tenner in the proper tool as well. Squorx are purest evil to work with but do get the job done 🙂

simondbarnes

as the squorx nipple driver is expensive and hard to get hold of.

They’re £14.99 and any shop with a Madison account could get you one next day if they didn’t have one in stock.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

will be my first build. nit so keen on the idea now!

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Spoke length for a DT swiss build’ is closed to new replies.