Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Spoke length
  • matt_bl
    Free Member

I’ve been calculating the spoke length for a road bike wheel build.

Two different calculators have given slightly different numbers.

Front:287 and 287.6
    Rear:NDS 289 and 290.3, DS 285 and 286.3

Which numbers should I go with or between the two, e.g. 290 and 286 for the rear?

Thanks
    Matt

cynic-al
    Free Member

It really won’t matter.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

290 and 286 for the rear?

Yes.
    I normally round to the nearest even number, if in doubt go a tad longer.

Which spoke calculators were you using? I find them all generally identical. But I always measure my own hubs and I’ll double check any given ERD. I’ve seen 2 different ERDs printed on 2 identical (Stans) rims. I emailed tham and they knew about it – Printing error if I recall correctly…..
    I only trust my own numbers, the only time I’ve ever got it wrong was with internet sourced dimensions.

aracer
    Free Member

Why longer? I always round down – because spoke calculators take no account of spoke stretch (which is a bit over half a mm at typical spoke tension).

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Because too long is adjustable. Too short isn’t.

matt_bl
    Free Member

Thanks for the replies.

The results came from the DT Swiss and Prowheelbuilder websites. Each has a couple of measurements which are taken from slightly different points, the hub and flange lengths.

Matt

andyl
    Free Member

I think I may have some spokes around those lengths as I had to buy packs of 100 if you are interested. They are Alpine DB in black (stocked by cyclebasket in S.Wales). 2.0-1.7-2.0 so a little bit more robust than DT revs but much cheaper.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Spoke length’ is closed to new replies.