Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Spoke Lacing Patterns?
  • KingofBiscuits
    Free Member

I’ve just ordered some custom built 29er wheels but there are two options for spoke lacing. 2x or 3x. I’ve selected 2x as I checked my Pro II Evo – Flow wheels and believe they are 2x. Hopefully someone can confirm a way of checking this? They are Factory Hope Hoops if that helps.

Therefore is 2x the usual standard or have I interpreted it wrong and my current wheels are 3x and 3x is the usual standard?

bigyinn
    Free Member

I thought 3x was the norm, I think its a little stronger than 2x

titusrider
    Free Member

3X is the norm the first X is easy to miss though, right by the hub

orangeboy
    Free Member

Normaly most wheels are three cross. But most 29er rims can’t take huge spoke tension so should be fine. But I’ve never tried it

bigdugsbaws
    Free Member

Factory Hopes are 3x. Little difference in strength between 2x and 3x but the hub is put under a lot more stress with 2x lacing, especially with brake disks. 3X is the recommended pattern for 32H rims.

shortcut

Most are 3 cross.

KingofBiscuits
    Free Member

Errr, OK. Is there a way of telling?

Basically I followed the spoke from the hub and it passed 2 spokes. Hence 2x. Maybe I’m wrong so I’ll check again.

Thankfully they will have not started building them yet so I can change pattern.

Rorschach
    Free Member

Snowflake for the win…

Ladders
    Free Member

I’d have thought you’d be better off using 3x with MTB rims as it helps prevent wind up of the wheels under disc braking.

Most road wheels use 2x for lightness and because they don’t wind up like MTB wheels

wwaswas

have a look on this page for how the various cross patterns are worked out – it even has pics;

http://www.troubleshooters.com/bicycles/wheelbuilding/index.htm

this is 3-cross;

titusrider
    Free Member

as you can see from WW diag the first cross out from the hub is kind of easy to miss as the spokes dont always touch as they exit the flange (giggles to self….)

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

See this pic:

IMG_5260 by PeterPoddy, on Flickr

The spoke that exits the frame to the right just above half way up the side joins the hub on the drive side.
    That spoke crosses 3 others. (JUST. one is right next to the hub)
    3 cross is the norm and is the bestest! 🙂

rootes1

snowflake.. good call Chris!

but seriously on 29er 32h 3x

mtbmatt
    Free Member

Using 2x on No Tubes wheels with no problem what so ever.
    It makes the spoke lengths a little shorter, so could be possible that it could make a stiffer wheel?

Nothing to support that mind, just that shorter spoke lengths might counter the extra cross.

KingofBiscuits
    Free Member

Thanks wwaswas and PeterPoddy, I now see the error of my spoke lacing pattern counting ways. My Pro II Evo-Stans Flow are 3 cross.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Spoke Lacing Patterns?’ is closed to new replies.