Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 89 total)
  • SPOILER -Andy Murray British or Scottish?
  • iDave
    Free Member

Looks like he'll still be British, until the final anyway

Serving for the match

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Both, what with Scotland being a part of Britain. 😉

gonefishin
    Free Member

As a Scot, and much as it pains me, I agree with the cap'n.

mt
    Free Member

Andy who?

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Both, what with Scotland being a part of Britain.

Not quite what the OP was getting at though…

Good on him – sounds like he played well.

iDave
    Free Member

he's still a plucky brit as opposed to a dour scot

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

I am a bit ambivalent about him though – I have got over all that 'supporting another nation's footie team' bit, but he just doesn't excite me or get me interested.

AndyP
    Free Member

scotch, always.

tails
    Free Member

I'm really happy for him, don't give to s**ts where he is from he is getting better to watch now as well very powerful, athletic, still got a great drop shot. he will win a slam in the next 2 years. If (when) fed makes the final murray will have to bully him off court as feds still too good, but he has the power to do that. plus serena vs henin will be a great match.

MrSmith
    Free Member

have you thought of asking him?
    that's the only way to solve this conundrum and spare us the jingoistic chest beating of sweaty socks.
    will probably help avoid mentioning north sea oil, tax revenue, alcoholism and obesity too.

Dougal
    Free Member

He's neither; he's a right dour little bugger.

muddydwarf
    Free Member

Do the majority of Scots actually consider themselves British?

By that i mean that most people see 'British' as a political state of being, completely forgetting that they reside on the island of Britain.

zokes
    Free Member

Geographically he's British, whether he likes it or not!

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

MrSmith may not have realised it, but he has just ignited the blue touchpaper underneath our favourite faux-Scot, TJ…..

molgrips
    Free Member

You can be both British and Scottish, can you not?

gonefishin
    Free Member

Do the majority of Scots actually consider themselves British?

In my experience, yes. The thing that annoys is when the word English is used as being interchangable with British. When a non UK citizen does it, it doesn't really annoy me but I will probably correct them but if you have been brought up in the UK you really should know the difference.

muddydwarf
    Free Member

That annoys me too & i'm English!

I keep hearing from (i suspect Scots Nationalists) that they don't consider themselves to be British which is a strange idea unless Scotland can be physically seperated from the rest of the island.

Ed2001
    Free Member

I have a friend who knows jez green ( one of his fitness coaches) quite well, I think he went to loughborough with him. And by all accounts he's actually very down to earth and very good company socially quite the opposite to the way he often comes across and as the media like to portray him. Sadly it makes much better copy to paint him as your stereotypical dour English hating Scot.

Drac

I will probably correct them but if you have been brought up in the UK you really should know the difference.

Your right, they should know the term English was used for British for years.

Ti29er
    Free Member

Scottish.

He knocked England once live on TV, very much distancing himself from England.

DickBarton

I mountain biked with him a couple of times a good few years ago – wasn't that great on the bike but fiercely competitive…gettign beat up the hills (or down them) and he'd start seriously grunting and then it was brute strength that got him going. Was a quiet kid and seemed fine, just very competitive – but he wasn't bad with it. No idea what he is like now…but good luck to him.

epicyclo

muddydwarf – Member
    …I keep hearing from (i suspect Scots Nationalists) that they don't consider themselves to be British which is a strange idea unless Scotland can be physically seperated from the rest of the island.

Don't worry, rising sea levels from global warming will fix that for us

There's a nice application on Google Earth that lets you play around with sea levels. Unfortunately it doesn't mention how much carbon we have to burn to achieve this – curse those environmentally friendly windmills! 🙂

mefty
    Free Member

I'm English, he's Scottish, we are both Britsh. I don't care about any anti english comments he has made, I certainly would not rely on the media to interpret them. Good luck to him whether he wins or not, he is achieving a huge amount and it must be a pretty lonely existence being an individual sportman in the media spotlight.

molgrips
    Free Member

He knocked England once live on TV, very much distancing himself from England.

So, the English dish it out but can't take it, it seems. English people are very frequently to be seen taking the piss out of the Scottish and Welsh.. but cue major upset when a Scot does it…

Can we just let it go and talk about the tennis? That's what he does after all.

HeatherBash
    Free Member

I'm actualy more interested in him knocking the smug Swissman off his perch 😉

gusamc
    Free Member

can somebody find out where he pays tax – then use that.

zaskar
    Free Member

Win or lose who cares about the boring bloke!

trailmonkey

He's British until he loses, then I hope those nasty English brutes remove him and his poor family from his croft as punishment and give the entire nation a reason for the comfort eating of unhealthy food and excessive alchohol abuse to negate their collective suffering.

duckman

keep hearing from (i suspect Scots Nationalists) that they don't consider themselves to be British which is a strange idea unless Scotland can be physically seperated from the rest of the island.

And what a sweet,sweet day that would be.

I see you have all forgiven him from the "anybody but Murray" thread a couple of years ago.His remarks about your football team should make it pretty clear where he is from.

AndyP
    Free Member

I don't have a football team.

uplink
    Free Member

Can anyone come up with any links that the 'British when he wins, Scottish when he loses' journalism actually exists?

I can

Same paper, same journo

Plucky Brit wins

Englishman loses

Oh hang on a minute I don't think that quite fits the accusation 😀

AndyP
    Free Member

unless Scotland can be physically seperated from the rest of the island.

And what a sweet,sweet day that would be.

+1,000,000

Drac

And what a sweet,sweet day that would be

Damn right +38,000,000

tails
    Free Member

And what a sweet,sweet day that would be

I like the shape of the UK and Ireland together, not quiet as good as Italy's boot but close, which is as good as reason as any to stay together.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

There's absolutely no chance he's English – we're sh1t at tennis.

scaredypants

I don't know but I suspect that he was coached during his formative years in some warm climated foreign land, by a non-british coach

So, as a tennis player I'm not certain he should really be claimed by either

kevonakona
    Free Member

Ipersonally don't care. I'm a Scot who is British.

Somewhere up the thread there is an indication that as we are all in the same land mass we are all and always will be the same nationality. Does that make all teh people who live in China French then?

Candodavid
    Free Member

TW4T

algarvebairn
    Free Member

I still dont know how we have a scottish tennis player. I have never, never, seen anybody playing tennis in Scotland. Except in wimbledon week when somebody chalks out a court on the road and use a washing line instead of a net. And swingball.

AndyP
    Free Member

Never mind, the scotch can still claim Angus Podgorny as their own.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 89 total)

The topic ‘SPOILER -Andy Murray British or Scottish?’ is closed to new replies.