Viewing 19 posts - 41 through 59 (of 59 total)
  • Spoiled by Whistler
  • _tom_
    Free Member

End of September/start of October was a bit depressing last year, there were only a few of us left riding up until closing weekend when it was a bit busier again!

Mugboo

I got stuck In Deep on my snowboard, turns out it wasn’t deep enough 🙁

Coyote
    Free Member

Love Whistler, been 4 times. Last time was August 11. Can’t say I noticed any attitude or “asshats”. There’s always been a general good feel about the place in my view.

Also love the other places in the area, particularly Squamish and North Shore. Unfortunately I was never lucky enough to ride the interior.

Fully understand what the OP is saying though. The first time I got back from Whistler in ’04 I got really depressed. Not too bad on subsequent occasions but still get a tug on the heart strings for BC.

mikey74
    Free Member

Erm, play nice folks. My original intention for this thread was that I was kinda hoping that people would enthuse me about riding in the UK again: C’mon folks!! :mrgreen:

brakes
    Free Member

the best thing for Whistler blues is to get out and ride, but not to try and think about replicating what you rode in Whistler, especially in the SE. It’s 4 years since I last went there and I’m almost over my depression.

GrahamS

I got stuck In Deep on my snowboard, turns out it wasn’t deep enough 🙁

It was up to my waist when I tried it. Sketchy as. Had to swim out!

frepster
    Free Member

As someone mentioned earlier, to get over Whistler just check out the house price average in Vancouver/Whistler, general cost of living. Price of beer, food especially anything resembling cheese. the thing i could never get over is jobs offering 10days holiday a year.
    I am a permanent resident there but chose to come back to the UK.
    I was in Whistler this summer too, didnt ride the WBP once, Done over 80 days in my time there but the quality and variety of trails in the Valley was too much to spend over $100/day on a lift ticket.

mikey74
    Free Member

$100/day on a lift ticket? You’ve got to be kidding: $47/day, more like.

frepster
    Free Member

yes you are right, ski day passes are over a ton not summer ones.

walleater

Everyone that I know here refers to the valley trail as the paved trails or pavements around the lakes. All the other free mountain bike trails are called cross country trails. Do I really have to go out and take a photo of the valley trail map?

Well, I could only be bothered to flick through a couple of pages, but plenty of reference to the Valley Trails referring to the trails that drop into the valley below, including by people who built them. As to what the sidewalks and the like are called, I neither know nor care.

http://bb.nsmb.com/showthread.php?t=147764

walleater

PS…..

http://www.trailforks.com/sites/default/files/maps/whistelr%20valley%20trail%20map.pdf

PS again, I guided on them for a season and have lived here since 2007 so I think I know what they are called 😉

michaelmcc
    Free Member

walleater you obviously care enough to reply lol! I’ll take a pic of the valley trail map when I’m back there tomorrow.

mrlebowski
    Free Member

FFS you 2 get a room..

Macavity
    Free Member

walleater

walleater you obviously care enough to reply lol! I’ll take a pic of the valley trail map when I’m back there tomorrow.

Heh heh. Go for it. Then you might finally notice that there is a difference between ‘Valley Trails’ and ‘Valley Trail’ 😉 They are two separate entities….

eshershore
    Free Member

Erm, play nice folks. My original intention for this thread was that I was kinda hoping that people would enthuse me about riding in the UK again: C’mon folks!!

@mikey74

best advice I can offer after several vacations (typically 3-4 weeks involving WBP, North Vancouver and the Interior) is to put the ‘big bike’ away and get some trail riding (we have excellent trails in the UK) or get some BMX riding / racing (again, we have excellent BMX facilities in the UK), or if not into the BMX, then some dirt jump and pump tracks

nothing more depressing (we have a term~: PWD = post Whistler Depression) than taking a ‘big bike’ to your local spots and realising how damn short and flat the hills are i.e. basically crap, compared to the sheer vertical madness of descending Garbanzo into the bike park at WBP 🙁

mikey74
    Free Member

Very true. Good advice ES.

walleater

Yep. The last time I rode in the UK was some loops of the Long Mynd on a borrowed old GT Zaskar with 80mm travel forks. A far cry from riding Goats Gully or Gargamel, but it was probably my favourite ride of the year! It was so good to be away from all the damn trees over here and rip down some fast easy trails on a short travel bike.

BearBack
    Free Member

To help clarify:

The ‘Valley Trail’ is the paved trail that connects all of Whistler subdivisions to the village.

The Valley Trail Network every trail in the valley from Brandywine to Wedge.. including the paved ‘Valley Trail’

Yes the Valley Trail network is also the cross country network.

Not really worth arguing about except that if you didn’t ride any of the XC trails, you missed out!

In regards to the OP, thats why we have such a high percentage of returning guests.. we (and the riding in Whistler) seem to end up spoiling the riding everywhere else.
    I do think however that our guides do enough to develop peoples riding that they can go back to riding their usual trails but with a new level of confidence and open mindedness that hopefully means they can attack their home trails with a new attitude and still have fun.. so.. hopefully you can manage to find a new approach to your old routes and enjoy your old loops still!

Viewing 19 posts - 41 through 59 (of 59 total)

The topic ‘Spoiled by Whistler’ is closed to new replies.