Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 59 total)
  • Spoiled by Whistler
  • mikey74
    Free Member

… now I can’t really get enthused about riding here in the SE 😥

kayak23

Same after every holiday… It wears off.
    I’ve been trying to get over 3 weeks of European roadtrip bikepark goodness. Its tough, but meh….Start thinking about your next trip. It helps a lot 🙂

mikey74
    Free Member

Start thinking about your next trip. It helps a lot

This is true. It would help if I lived somewhere with decent DH tracks, but hey ho!!

mtbfix

Don’t go on holiday to places with better riding. Maybe try the north Norfolk coast next year? You’ll come back and realise how good you have it (assuming there are some hills with trails on near you).

_tom_
    Free Member

I’ve been the same since returning from spending my summer there last year 🙁 It doesn’t wear off, hasn’t for me anyway. I don’t like “UK style” riding (for lack of a better term) as much, it’s all about long runs full of proper jumps.

mikey74
    Free Member

I just need to find some new tracks to get me out again, I think. I might purchase a new full-face helmet to inspire as well 😆

michaelmcc
    Free Member

I have another 3 weeks here, hopefully my riding back home won’t seem completely dull when I return!

On the positive side, I am getting addicted to downhill, but I hear it’s like a different sport over here with so many trails. Ah well, there’s a few DH courses near me back home so shouldn’t be TOO bad.

mikey74
    Free Member

I hate you already 🙂

Where are you from in the UK?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

If you think coming back from a bike holiday is bad, just try the skiing downer!

After all we can all go and ride trails pretty easily, but let me tell you, the Hemel Alp isn’t the same as the Cucumelle! 🙂

mikey74
    Free Member

That is one of the reasons why I have never been too keen in taking up skiing, CFH.

michaelmcc
    Free Member

I hate you already

Where are you from in the UK?

Dublin so not the UK, I do the odd weekends riding over there though.

Hmmm hoping to give Freight Train a go before I leave, In Deep is probably my fav trail here so far.

mikey74
    Free Member

In Deep is my favourite as well, and maybe Duffman/No Duff/Duffman; oh, and Original Sin, and Schleyer… and Whistler Downhill… and Detroit Rock City etc etc

mrlebowski
    Free Member

Im in the process of applying for a visa to stay here..

Who wants to stay in the UK when youve got all this terrain to explore not to mention Vancouver, the rest of BC, Canada & the States on your doorstep?!

mikey74
    Free Member

What method are you applying for the visa through?

I’ve looked into this too: As far as I can see, I can either apply for permanent residency, or get someone to offer me a job and sponsor my work permit.

markgraylish
    Free Member

Can I be the first to say WBP bores me? 😈

I moved to Vancouver 5 years ago…rode WBP a couple of time a year for the first few years, didn’t ride it at all last year and have only ridden it once this year (and then only ‘cos I had a free sampler pass).

I much prefer the valley trails…or Squamish….or Pemberton…or the Sunshine Coast or the Shore or the Chilcotins, or the Kootenays, or, indeed, many many other places in BC, or Utah, or Colorado, or Washington…you get the drift? </gloat>

_tom_
    Free Member

Freight Train is one of my favourites. Really liked doing that into Dirt Merchant then Del Boca Vista then following the green that puts you onto til Hornet then finishing up with GLC 🙂 mr lebowski good luck! I had a visa but I just couldn’t get a job due to a lack of experience in the customer services areas that all the jobs are in 🙁 Would love to live in Canada, hoping I can try again in a year or so when I have enough experience in my field then look for a similar job over there. Would probably aim for Vancouver or something rather than Whistler next time though!

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I was spoiled by UK and Alpine riding.

Now i’m in Oz there is some good stuff but I miss the little 1 way arrows

_tom_
    Free Member

Oh and Mikey have you seen the new trail being built at Aston Hill? Loads of jumps/drops etc, looks really fun and probably the closest sort of thing I’ve seen to a “whistler-style” trail.

michaelmcc
    Free Member

Can I be the first to say WBP bores me?

I moved to Vancouver 5 years ago…rode WBP a couple of time a year for the first few years, didn’t ride it at all last year and have only ridden it once this year (and then only ‘cos I had a free sampler pass).

I much prefer the valley trails…or Squamish….or Pemberton…or the Sunshine Coast

I think you are the first person to say that! I’ve always been more of an XC rider so I enjoyed riding loads of free XC trails around the lakes and valleys. They are more all-mountain compared to stuff in the UK though! In particular stuff like kill me thrill me, comfortably numb and a river runs through it.

And the valley trails? They’re the paved paths going around the lakes 😕 .

michaelmcc
    Free Member

In Deep is my favourite as well, and maybe Duffman/No Duff/Duffman; oh, and Original Sin, and Schleyer… and Whistler Downhill… and Detroit Rock City etc etc

Ye In Deep is SOOOO much fun, love those rooty sections going in to the rocky steep gullys. Challenging to me but really fun!

I haven’t ridden Duff Man or No Duff yet, it’s on my list.

Original Sin is SUCH a fun trail too. And Facrobat, off In Deep. A bit crazier than In Deep but still major fun. Rode Schleyer and Rock City for the first time last week, a bit sketchy my first time down but found way more flow the second time! 😀

mrlebowski
    Free Member

Im going for a TRV (6-12 months) to start with & if I like what I find out here long-term, Ill go for the Investor/Business Visa. Fortunately I can afford to take the time off & not have to worry if Im not working.

And the valley trails? They’re the paved paths going around the lakes

No need to be pedantic, I think we all know what was being referred to….unless you were trying to prove a point somehow?

paulpalf
    Free Member

I’m with markgrayfish on this. Been in Vancouver coming on 10 years now, and hardly ever ride the park these days.
    #1 it is too expensive
    #2 it is a matter of time before you get seriously hurt
    #3 Whistler is full of ass-hats.

This year I sold my big DH bike. I ride my 29er on the shore, and much prefer the local pedal-up trails to the lift-served. If I do fancy some lift-served, I would rather go to silverstar, pay less, have the place practically to myself, and not have to deal with the attitude. I do my best never to ski whistler in the winter for much the same reasons.

A word of warning to all of you looking to emigrate here….compare your salary expectations to the house prices before you make any decisions, this is not a cheap place to live!

Paul

mrlebowski
    Free Member

Whistler is full of ass-hats

Never seen so much attitude as here..

Personally Im not big on the park either, yes its fun but there are so many other things to do here. The “dudes” can have their thrills in the park, Ill be somewhere else 😉

michaelmcc
    Free Member

No need to be pedantic, I think we all know what was being referred to

No I didn’t know if you meant the paved paths called the valley trails or the off-road XC trails around the lakes and valleys.

michaelmcc
    Free Member

paulpalf: It does have a few down sides like most things but you can’t argue that it’s one of the best ski and bike places in the world. I haven’t come across any attitude in the bike part yet, everyone seems pretty easy going and friendly to me.

jedi

i love riding the interior and the shore etc . whistler was just ok
    been to bc 5 times 🙂

michaelmcc
    Free Member

Jedi your making me feel not worthy now 🙁

😆

I’d like to ride more areas of BC like Silver-star but not having a car makes it hard. And I have a season pass for the bike park here so wanna make the most of the last few weeks!

jedi

sunshine coast is fun, van island, loops, kelowna. love it there but also love it at home at herts 😀

freeridenick
    Free Member

Everyone should ride the bikepark once in their life! nothing else like it on the planet…

I spent a year living in Vancouver and rode the park quite abit

But as others have said there is alot more to BC riding as well. My most memorable rides though are things like the shore, gargamel, chilcotins, interior around fernie, rossland etc

silverstar bikepark was awesome.

As paul says it aint cheap in vancouver, I am way better off back here in sunny UK!

rewski
    Free Member

may I recommend you don’t read the shore article in the latest privateer then.

freeridenick
    Free Member

why whats the article about?

mikey74
    Free Member

Yes, there are some “asshats”, but A) it’s a big park and B) Most “asshats” don’t seem to venture beyond A-Line.

TBH, at the moment, I can’t think of anywhere I’d rather be, especially when you consider the other trails in the Whistler, Squamish and Pemberton area.

rewski
    Free Member

great article about the history of riding in the North Shore area, great pics too – linky

GrahamS

In Deep is probably my fav trail here so far.

Fun in the winter too 😀

If you think coming back from a bike holiday is bad, just try the skiing downer!

+1

walleater

Yep, I survive by eating grass, wood and if I’m lucky some old fish pulled from a dumpster but I rode Cypress gnar on Sunday, Sunshine Coast on Monday, will be riding Squampton today and WBP probably on Sunday so am having a ‘living the dream’ week this week. The Park serves it’s purpose but none of my favourite trails are in it, innit, nor in Whistler come to think of it.

Valley Trails is just the generic name given to all the Whistler trails outside the Park.

markgraylish
    Free Member

Valley Trails is just the generic name given to all the Whistler trails outside the Park.

+1…that’s what I was referring to, not the paved Lost Lake trails nor the ‘commuter’ valley trail

michaelmcc
    Free Member

Everyone that I know here refers to the valley trail as the paved trails or pavements around the lakes. All the other free mountain bike trails are called cross country trails. Do I really have to go out and take a photo of the valley trail map?

mrlebowski
    Free Member

Everyone that I know here refers to the valley trail as the paved trails or pavements around the lakes. All the other free mountain bike trails are called cross country trails. Do I really have to go out and take a photo of the valley trail map?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Sounds a bit like Morzine then, great if it wasn’t for all the other people. Whens the quiet day?

michaelmcc
    Free Member

Its pretty dead in the park and pretty much everywhere these days and I imagine it will only get quieter until people start arriving for the winter season.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 59 total)

The topic ‘Spoiled by Whistler’ is closed to new replies.