Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Splitting a crown race
  • adam1330
    Free Member

Soon I will be needing to put a crown race on a new set of forks. The crown race I have to fit isn't split, and I was wondering if you can split one yourself using a junior hacksaw/Dremel, as my Hope headset that I have on another bike was a doddle to fit with the split cr.

Stoner
    Free Member

I think when this came up last time (a few years ago IIRC) the consensus was that since FSA do it and their design is not fundamentally different in any other way to accommodate the split then adding one yourself shouldnt be an issue (I think Brant may have said that?). Id add that if the bottom bearing set is a sealed cartridge there's even less of an issue to worry about.

epicyclo

I do just that and have had no problems.

I don't cut all the way through. If you leave a little metal it will still slip on ok.

jamesgarbett
    Free Member

Yep I do that and no probs

adam1330
    Free Member

Thanks, I shall give it a go. Epicyclo, I assume you cut from the inside out, leaving the bit of metal on the outside edge?

epicyclo

I don't think it matters.

I cut from the inside, and leave it so that the part that bears against the bearing os complete. I do that so there is no slot that allows crap to get inside.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Splitting a crown race’ is closed to new replies.