Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Split tyre
  • docgeoffyjones

Split my Maxxis high roller tyre on the final descent of the Pendam trail. It is in the tread area and about 5mm long. I have ordered a new one but does anyone have any tips for a quick/temporary repair i can do to keep me going over the weekend?

Hoff

Sew it up with some dental floss & glue a patch on top. Patch on the inside with some gaffer tape on top.

chvck
    Free Member

What wheelsize? If you’re still in the aber area I have a 26″ high roller that you could have if you come collect it. I’m assuming by pendam you mean at nant-yr-arian.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    oliverracing

Sew it up with some dental floss & glue a patch on top.

Done this many times when bikepacking, touring or even when they tyre is just too new to bin.

Just retired a vittoria Barzo that cut 15mm in the sidewall on it’s second ride and is now down to no tread in the center and still holding air!

docgeoffyjones

What wheelsize? If you’re still in the aber area I have a 26″ high roller that you could have if you come collect it. I’m assuming by pendam you mean at nant-yr-arian.

I live on Hereford so it is a bit of a mission. but thank you

Sew it up with some dental floss & glue a patch on top. Patch on the inside with some gaffer tape on top.

Why dental floss? can i use normal thread? also will it still work with tubeless or do i need to put a tube in?

chvck
    Free Member

I’ve done it with fishing line and glued on a load of patches inside before, it went up tubeless but didn’t stay that way long. My cut was almost down the entire sidewall though. Worked with a tube OK but the tyre had a wobble in it so was bin bound anyway.

ajantom

Why dental floss? can i use normal thread? also will it still work with tubeless or do i need to put a tube in?

It’s very strong, has multiple strands, made of plastic so won’t degrade, and slippy, so pulls tight easily.
    Normal thread will probably snap and would defo be too weak.

Fishing line might work, but the profile of floss tends to be flat rather than round, so it’s less likely to tear/rip the tyre as you pull it tight.

Hoff

Never used normal thread so couldn’t comment. I always carry a reel of floss & needle (try & get a curved needle) with me my other tools/spares & it doesn’t cost much more than a £1

I’ve been running sewn up tyre with a 10mm split for about 6-months on my CX bike. I think the glue on patches & gaffer tape on the inside would hold up to running tubeless but I haven’t tried & run a tube in it.

Esme
    Free Member

To carry on the dental theme . . . I carry a square, cut from a toothpaste tube (wrapped around a pump). The idea is to wrap it round the inner tube, followed by duck-tape.

Thanks to Lady Gresley for this idea!

docgeoffyjones

What size curved needle do you use?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Split tyre’ is closed to new replies.