Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Spline ex1501 freehub sticking
  • nickdavies

Just rebuilt my big bike ready for Italy next weekend.. had the wheels serviced by the lbs and the freehub is bloody sticking so it’s not dis engaging under no pedalling.

It’s the star ratchet, just pulled the freehub off and everything looks fine in there.. any ideas anyone?

Obviously I’ll call the lbs tomorrow but I won’t be able to get back in business hours before I leave…

hatter

Sounds like the shop didn’t put the axle spacer back in when they reassembled it.

Pull the freehub off, if there’s not a spacer sitting on the axle (part no.7 on the diagram below)…. then there’s your problem.

orangeboy
    Free Member

If you stop the pedal turning does the hub body work as it should or does the chain sag jam fall off etc

b45her
    Free Member

part no 6 hasn’t been seated properly, remove parts 7,8,9 slide the freehub body onto the axle shaft and give it a thump, this should seat the seal(6) properly and the freehub will spin normally once re-assembled.

nickdavies

Axle spacer present and correct. It’s binding under load, I’ve got it spinning better off the bike but as soon as you put pressure on the end cap the thing seizes. Chain just falls of as you stop turning. Will try bashing it as per basher!

nickdavies

Ah, think I’ve found the issue. Part 4 the shim ring has a lump in it. Obviously something is lodged underneath it. Good luck getting that obscure part before the weekend…. hopefully it can be rectified with a hammer!

jimw
    Free Member

I had something very similar happen on a 1501 hub. It Turned out to be a bent axle. Very subtle, but enough to have exactly the same symptoms. That was just after someone had tried to undo the ring nut

hatter

Madison have the shim rings in stock, code HBDT822

orangeboy
    Free Member

I’d guess the washer part 4 is just bent rather than somthing under it.
    If you have the ring drive tool it’s mostly simple to remove part 4 flatten it and refit it.

Just make sure it’s stays central , and that the ring drive is the right way round.

Dt Swiss web site has good photo guides on how to service the hubs

BearBack
    Free Member

4 shouldn’t interfere with the freehub as its inboard of the splines unless its stopped the spline ring being driven home. Did they replace that bearing? Not sure I’ve ever seen that one fail.
    Could also be a mushroomed #7 or a bearing taking too much preload or even springs in the wrong way round getting stuck in the bearing seal?

b45her
    Free Member

trust me its the seal (6) it will seem to work fine of the bike but once the whole assembly is compressed when fitted to the bike it will drag.

benpinnick

Im with b45sher – seen that a few times. Its quite hard to set that seal properly.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Spline ex1501 freehub sticking’ is closed to new replies.