• This topic has 18 replies, 12 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by ianv.
Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Spinal Injuries
  • crankinirish
    Free Member

Hey folks,

Dont usually post much on here but lurke enough to be familiar with most of the regulars and its looking like I’m going to be spending quite a bit of time at home so my post count will probably rise.

I fell while rock climbing on Saturday, decked from 30 feet, spent the last four days in the hospital. I’ve got three fractured vertebrae and other minor cuts and scrapes, been sent home with a full torso support thing (looks like a turtle shell) that I have to wear for three months, a zimmer frame and a mixture of some pretty hardcore narcotics.

I realise I’m lucky to be alive, not paralysed etc but was wondering if anybody has experience with similar injuries and how long it took to recover to a point where you could ride, run, hike etc again.

djflexure

You are indeed lucky. Perhaps 6 months? You should heal fine.

meehaja
    Free Member

My brother in law flipped a go cart, obviously different mechanics of injury but was left with similar injuries and had to wear the shell thing.

after the initial 3 months of rest etc he was able to move around almost as normal, though held back by achey knees from earlier accidents!

His doctor encouraged him to cycle and he is now a keen roadie, though spent a long time getting his position on the bike just right. As for Mountain bikes, he’s not really an off road type but thats not to say he can’t.

Hope you recover soon, don’t rush it, enjoy a summer of watching DVD’s and being bored out of your mind (get an Xbox and some long games)

crankinirish
    Free Member

“being bored out of your mind”

Expecting our first child in five weeks so should have plenty to keep me busy. Still really going to miss my outdoor fix though.

ianv
    Free Member

A friend of the family did something similar. it took about 6 months.

Expecting our first child in five weeks so should have plenty to keep me busy

I doubt if you will be much help with anything to do with the baby for a fair bit.

thegreatape
    Free Member

Nice timing!

Hope you get better soon. Where did you fall?

bullheart
    Free Member

On his back.

crankinirish
    Free Member

” Where did you fall? “

Eldorado Canyon.

Yeah the timing really sucks but my wife has been pretty cool about it. She is probably a lot more pissed off than she is letting on though.

wwaswas

Spinal Injuries

not a thread title you want to see 🙁

I’ve got no personal experience but I wish you luck and, tbh, even if you’re just around to hold the baby for the first few weeks it’ll be good. Without wishing to be pessimistic – I hope your partner doesn’t need a ceaserian – two immobile people will present problems.

crankinirish
    Free Member

“I hope your partner doesn’t need a ceaserian – two immobile people will present problems.”

Did’nt consider that scenario but a valid and scary point.

Stuart
    Free Member

I dislocated my c1 and c2 vertabrae playing rugby when I was younger. I don’t have any long term effects. In a nut shell – walking out of a spinal unit = result.
    Stu

bullheart
    Free Member

Mrs Bullheart broke her back in two places in October falling off of a horse. With effective physio and plenty of rest you’ll probably be fine to continue with your activities, although I’d probably think about knocking climbing on the head for a bit.

Good luck fella!

coffeeking
    Free Member

Some people will do anything to get out of the first few months of getting up and feeding/dealing with a baby 😆

Good luck with the recovery!

crankinirish
    Free Member

“although I’d probably think about knocking climbing on the head for a bit.”

Thinking about knocking it on the head for good. I’ve had a good run over the last 13 years, no serious injuries or accidents although I have seen a lot of others get badly hurt or worse.

New family, new responsibilities.

Should probably sell my rack and build up a new bike.

bullheart
    Free Member

Fella, think of the fun you’ll have teaching lil’ irish to hoone it round on their microbike!

highclimber
    Free Member

Unlucky buddy, hope you heal quickly.

Cougar

As a climber I have to ask,

Why did you deck?

billysugger
    Free Member

(Un)lucky fella. Sounds like you did a proper job of it.

Good luck with the healing.

ianv
    Free Member

“Thinking about knocking it on the head for good. I’ve had a good run over the last 13 years, no serious injuries or accidents although I have seen a lot of others get badly hurt or worse”

Climbing does not always have to involve the potential to kill yourself. Sport and bouldering were always my preferences and there is both not far from Boulder.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Spinal Injuries’ is closed to new replies.