Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Spiers House, North York Moors
  • ThePinkster

I was wandering around the North York Moors a couple of weeks ago and stumbled across Spiers House, a FC site that has camping, log cabins etc, and also a couple of trails running out of it.

Does anyone out there in STWland have any idea what the 16 mile trail from there is like? Is it a family stile pootle, something as bit more challenging, or just not worth the effort?

Cheers

djglover
    Free Member

If there had been a massive trail centre development I think we’d have heard about it, its not far from dalby though.

I’ve stayed there on many occasion over the years and I suspect this will be the old way marked trails on… you guessed it fire roads and forestry tracks…

ThePinkster

Cheers.

I know it’s not a new trail centre development but there is a big signpost in the car park pointing out a 16 mile MTB route so was wondering if anyone had any experience of what it involved.

fatboyslo
    Free Member

I seem to recall it being used as the base for a Polaris challenge way back when ( probably a summer one )

Midge central as it is surrounded by trees and there was very little breeze at all to keep the sods away

Access to a whole load of bridleways, forest tracks, open moorland routes and not that far from Dalby if centers are your thing

Singlespeed_Shep
    Free Member

Its not to far from me, I’ve ridden most of the trails round there and into Cropton forest, There are some nice bits.

What are you looking for? Natural trail riding or trail center gnarr following signs?

ThePinkster

TBH I was just wondering what the route was like and if it was worth going for a pootle down it next time I was in the area. I’m guessing it’d be pretty natural but was hoping it might be signposted due to the length,

Not there very often, but have some friends in the area and was thinking of perhaps taking my bike next time.

Singlespeed_Shep
    Free Member

This may help

Clicky

I do enjoy riding round there, Its very similar to any other natural trails locally with a few man made bits in it.

honeybadgerx

As an alternative I can recommend the campsite at rosedale abbey, nice place to be and good showers etc. loads of good natural moorland riding around there, the lion inn up on Blakey for post ride grub/beer and dale head farm tea garden for topping up your arteries during a ride with cream scones.

llama

Stayed in the area last year.

Bought this:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/North-York-Moors-Mountain-Biking/dp/1906148082

It’s got Shep’s route in it plus a fair bit more in that area.

ThePinkster

Cheers guys.

honeybadgerx – Member
    As an alternative I can recommend the campsite at rosedale abbey, nice place to be and good showers etc. loads of good natural moorland riding around there, the lion inn up on Blakey for post ride grub/beer and dale head farm tea garden for topping up your arteries during a ride with cream scones.

Coincidentally I was stopping in Rosedale, at the Caravan site next to the camp site. Got some friends in Kirby Moorside who pointed us in the direction of the Lion Inn. The White Horse Farm Inn on Chimney Bank Road in Rosedale is also very good, with decent beer & food. They even let the pooch in when we were eating!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Spiers House, North York Moors’ is closed to new replies.