Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Spiders at 70mph
  • mattrgee
    Free Member

I chopped down a small bush this weekend and took it to the tip in the car. Fast forward to Monday morning and I’m doing 70mph down the M60 when a big spider lowers itself from the ceiling of the car inches from my face, before vanishing into the footwell. Not good.

Any bright ideas for killing any remaining spiders that could be in the car? I’m thinking of some sort of aerosol that I can spray under the seats and in the footwells. Or is there something that will lure them out?

kayak23

Get a lizard.

MadPierre

Stop being a big jesse! They aren’t poisonus or owt!

Taff
    Free Member

My mate crashed a car when that happened to him . I told him to man up next time.

retro83
    Free Member

It’s the spiders car now; make alternative travel arrangements.

CHB

I thought ALL spiders were poisonous? Just to varying degrees.

There was an old woman who swallowed a bird,
    How absurd! to swallow a bird,
    She swallowed the bird to catch the spider,
    That wriggled and jiggled and tickled inside her,
    She swallowed the spider to catch the fly,
    I don’t know why she swallowed the fly,
    Perhaps she’ll die.

http://www.poppyfields.net/poppy/songs/oldwoman.html

wwaswas

They get very protective of their cars, I think.

IanMunro
    Free Member

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IX8ZTIiMapA&t=4m30s[/video]

GrahamS

Fast forward to Monday morning and I’m doing 70mph down the M60 when a big spider lowers itself from the ceiling of the car inches from my face

That happened to the missus, when we were in Australia, and the spider in question was a Huntsman!

No idea how she managed to avoid throwing herself from the moving van!

(Especially since at that time we had no idea if it was poisonous or not. It’s not.)

DezB
    Free Member

Holy crap! I wouldn’t crash if that huntsman was in my car… just die of a heart attack!

(to the OP – fly spray kills spiders.) [edit]so I’ve been told 😉

zokes
    Free Member

Despite not being poisonous, the Huntsman is probably responsible for more deaths in Australia than all the other spiders combined. The reason:

They particularly like hiding above the sun visor, so just as you get distracted by the sun in your eyes and reach for the visor, you get a hairy eight-legged friend for company on your lap. This apparently isn’t particularly helpful for retaining full control of your vehicle…

EDIT: I have no idea about the fatality statistics for Huntsmen themselves in this situation. I suspect they just toddle off out of the smashed up windows after the resultant pile-up.

GrahamS

(to the OP – fly spray kills spiders.)

To the OP: just man up you big blouse.

Spraying toxic chemicals around in an enclosed space will do far more harm than the spiders ever will.

the Huntsman is probably responsible for more deaths in Australia than all the other spiders combined

Yep! This one lowered itself from the visor and ended up sat on the dashboard “just staring at me the whole way home”. 😆

njee20
    Free Member

It’s the spiders car now; make alternative travel arrangements.

😆

+1

DezB
    Free Member

Spraying toxic chemicals around in an enclosed space

SSSHHHHH!

I knew there was a good reason I’d not emigrated to Oz yet.

Ah, there we go, that’s it, right there ^^^^^^

dan1980
    Free Member

I thought ALL spiders were poisonous? Just to varying degrees.

[pedant]Technically, spiders aren’t poisonous (i.e. you can eat them), they’re venomous.
    [/pedant]

All spiders have venom, but can give a dry bite if they feel threatened. The other issue is that the smaller ones may not have fangs large enough to puncture human skin. Your common house spider if large enough can give you a slightly unpleasant nip.

giant_scum
    Free Member

Wish I had a spider in my car, keeps the flies in check! We used to have a large spider in a works Transit that would throw out the empty fly carcasses once it was done with them and it would occasionally drop down when you were driving, very unsettling!

Mrs STR got bitten twice on the leg by a rather large house spider that decided to snuggle up in bed with us – FACT

Gave her quite a nasty nip by all accounts.

coffeeking
    Free Member

Wish I had a spider in my car, keeps the flies in check!

You need to find a place to bury the body soon.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Did you get a good look at his face and was he smiling as he dropped in your lap?

😯

rogerthecat
    Free Member

Spider + chemicals = it’s never going to end well!!

titusrider
    Free Member

oh…….. wrong thread 😛

toby1

I had a very similar problem after clearing a bush from the back garden, so I opened all the windows to blow stuff out, then I got a facefull of bush dirt as the wind was whipping around the car!

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

oh…….. wrong thread

too late, I need a change of pants now

RustySpanner

Vacuum cleaner.
    Traditional rolled up newspaper.
    I’d do the sunvisors first.

D0NK

Graham and zokes have we had this story/follow up before? I’m getting serious deja vu here

Northwind

kayak23 – Member
    Get a lizard.

Fast forward 30 days-

mattrgee – Member

Any bright ideas for killing the lizard that’s in the car? I’m thinking of some sort of aerosol that I can spray under the seats and in the footwells. Or is there something that will lure it out?

and then

kayak23 – Member
    Lure it out with a spider

easygroove
    Free Member

I have battled a huntsman w vacuum cleaner….they move sooo fast, especially when you are chasing at 6am, having woken up to find one in the bedroom!

Its the funnel webs and red backs that you have to watch out for though – they will give a damn nasty bite and trip to the hospital!

zokes
    Free Member

D0NK – Member

Graham and zokes have we had this story/follow up before? I’m getting serious deja vu here

Quite possibly, but it is quite common over here. Plus, most non-aussies (and a lot of aussies) are scared crapless of the spiders here. The biggest, hairiest (and also most benign) of them landing on your lap at 110kms probably isn’t the best method of maintaining full control of your vehicle…

Its the funnel webs and red backs that you have to watch out for though – they will give a damn nasty bite and trip to the hospital!

Not to mention those white-tails, which rot your flesh 😉

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘Spiders at 70mph’ is closed to new replies.