Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 110 total)
  • Spider eyes helmet light ( bonkers content )
  • trout
    Free Member

Bank holiday shed tinkering and experimenting
    I give you the spider eyes helmet light throws the furthest down trail I have ever seen .

Its rough and chewed from a lump of alumimium with 2 glass aspherical lenses on board

if used on full then around 2700 lumens leds on board are 2 XMLS and 2 XPGs

Now this is not for the weak of neck as weighs quite a bit
    it does mean that when the night riding season comes back that I will be able to annoy my mates from even further back .

beam shot on full but I need to find a longer bit of trail to do it justice and this one is nearly 200 metres long

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

At some point the “solar wind” will drive you backwards

Nicknoxx
    Free Member

Excellent, keep up the good work Troutie.

racefaceec90

ooh i’d like one of those (unfortunately do not have any cash/my neck muscles aren’t that great) do you plan on putting them into production trout?

trout
    Free Member

TJ as I am in the portly class if I point it backward I get extra thrust from the photon drive .

racefaceec90 this was just a messing about light but I may have tripped over a nice format using 1 of the lenses and a floody one so who knows what will hatch out .

Building a dive light for a mate which was what the aspheric lenses were for as he wants a narrow beam with no side spill so this light was just messing about to see what was possible .

racefaceec90

ah! i do vow on saving up for some of your lights sometime,if you still will be making them? (at present have a hope vision 2 led with the double battery).is a good light,but must admit to wanting (MORE POWER! 😯 😀 i reckon around christmas time i could buy some (am saving for a guitar/amp at present)

nickhart
    Free Member

does your helmet have a heat shield built in……..

trout
    Free Member

does your helmet have a heat shield built in

nope doesnt need one as only the registered blind need full power or a 50 mph downhill
    low and medium are excellent High is for when you want to read that road sign 500 metres down the road

though Hi does make a good hand warmer too

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

Hmm, what would happen if you made a really narrow beam (say 1cm or less) and aimed that a shed or something similar belonging to someone you don’t really like?

Xylene
    Free Member

I would like to see a head tube light designed to clamp around the tube. Two lights slightly angled to cover left and right of the tral and one centred on it.

I think it would work nicely.

yossarian
    Free Member

Great stuff.

Bike industry needs people like you IMO

stuey
    Free Member

Troutie – is there any mileage in a telescoping flood to throw mechanism like”low power deal extreme flood throw torch” ?

Or is it easier to just switch power / leds?

trout
    Free Member

Quirrel. the downside to mounting the light on the headtube is the dazzle from the cables flapping about in the beam

Stuey I have one of those torches getting reliable sealing for all weather use would be the main bug

Hairychested
    Free Member

You are totally irresponsible, sir! All you will achieve is bankrupting me even more, damn you and your genius!!!
    Now, an interest-free option – where do I sign?

convert

Looks good.

It would be cool to seperately connect the 2 smaller LEDs from the main light source to make a lower output level light for map reading etc without blind mates/ melting when stood still. Are they machined to angle light differently to the top two?

Boring technical questions – What model are those LEDs (and cheekily where do you source them – I’m presuming far east not Rapid/RS) and do you use a bought in PWM generator or make your own/ have your own made for you?

trout
    Free Member

Convert
    yes I did think about separating the leds for your very reason and also then the spider eyes beam would be a stealth beam with no spill sideways

that would require two drivers and a larger housing 2 switches also

Main leds are Cree XML T6 and the small ones are XPG R2
    all from http://www.cutter.com.au

I wish I had the ability to make my own drivers but no they come from http://www.taskled.com the driver in this light is the H6Flex
    not PWM constant current drivers

the xpgs have wide angled lenses so as to fill the near ground

tomaso
    Free Member

Nice style, overkill never looked so good!

convert

Thanks for the info – useful potential suppliers. I currently have an A level student’s own designed PWM driver circuitboard for a set of blended RGB backlights and main higher powered LED light for a desk lamp in front of me that is not playing nicely that I’ve promised to give a 2nd set of eyes a look over. As you can see I’m experiencing work avoidance issues!

CaptJon
    Free Member

nope doesnt need one as only the registered blind need full power or a 50 mph downhill
    low and medium are excellent High is for when you want to read that road sign 500 metres down the road on the moon

trout
    Free Member

Been out in the dark with the pooch and got some long distance beam shots to show
    low I am afraid didnt make it to the barn at 160 metres so only got medium and high

went out to 200 metres and the camers didnt get a good pic on low or medium so only hi

managed to get another 100 metres and still get a view of the barn on hi so this is at 300 metres

Pretty darn impressive and my new favourite light 😀

rOcKeTdOg

You really are afraid of the dark 🙂

molgrips
    Free Member

Not bad. I like the flood and spot idea. But both on at the same time.

Can I buy some of these if you can bar mount them?

trout
    Free Member

You really are afraid of the dark

Not any more RD but still dont want to get too close to the haunted barn

@ Molegrips am working on a less mental ( only 1800 lumens ) and lighter weight version which may become available in small numbers later on .

HermanShake
    Free Member

The picture of the internals looks like a robotic skull!

Have you ever thought about contacting Hope or someone like that? The machining looks very professional, what batteries do you use? I’m puzzled that more lighting systems don’t use the 3.7v Li batteries, I reckon it’s inevitable.

trout
    Free Member

grtdkad

I want one!

giantalkali
    Free Member

epic machining there, some very nice work.

trout
    Free Member

epic machining there, some very nice work.

Thanks Giantalkali
    about 25 hours of painstaking manual milling to get this proto this far .
    though well pleased with the result .

Probably take one of the new fangled cnc bods about 20 mins

theotherjonv

judging by the date stamp on your photos, you’ve burnt a hole in the time-space continuum and accidentally fallen through it.

Pauly

Awesome in every sense. WANT! My Hope twin LED’s have just given up the ghost too…

Mackem

Could you convert this into a death ray?

carlos
    Free Member

OMG, thats mental. It looks like the night sun on the copper chopper shining in that field.

Did it scorch the grass?? Not been round Swinley have you???

rc200f8
    Free Member

loving the look of the light & the beam, how about some comparison shots with the Liberator as a bench mark?

Handsomedog
    Free Member

Is it just me or…

The Trout Light

Splinter Cell

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

More stuff I want. My Hope Vision 4’s are feeling very puny and inadequate now 🙁

spacehopper

😯

awesome work as ever Mr Trout!

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Trout – I did sends yo an email about possible motorbike lights – there is a market for this I am sure having discussed it with a few folk

email me (in profile) if you want to carry this further

thepodge
    Free Member

TJ I was thinking exactly the same thing. my motorbike lights are shoddy and I’d love an upgrade to something like this.

tomaso
    Free Member

There is an Indian seller on ebay DIY24x7 or something that does bicycle and motorcycle LED lamps 1800 lumens but they do look a bit cheap, but then they are cheap…

hilldodger
    Free Member

thepodge – Member
    my motorbike lights are shoddy and I’d love an upgrade to something like this.

wouldn’t use on motor vehicles require some sort of certification or CE testing ?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 110 total)

The topic ‘Spider eyes helmet light ( bonkers content )’ is closed to new replies.