Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Spicy maybe too much
  • ritchic
    Free Member

Just after some input really.
    Just built a lapierre spicy 516 09 I think. It’s 160 travel and I’m now wandering if its to much for what I do. As in i dont know if maybe 140-150 mm would be a better bike for me.

So
    1. Would this frame fetch much (enough for a smaller travel frame)

2. Would I notice the difference between 160- 150

3. Should I just man up an ride

Cheers in advance

ritchic
    Free Member

Forgot to say I’ve been riding hard tail previously and got offered this frame at a good price that’s why I’ve built it without knowing what they are like.

yorkshire89
    Free Member

The spicy is more suited to downhill/freeride. You could maybe sell the frame/forks and get a zesty if you want something that will go uphill a bit better.

Depends what you are using it for i suppose, is this your ‘do it all’ bike or are you keeping the hardtail?

honourablegeorge

I rode a Spicy for three years, they’re a great bike, go uphill brilliantly considering how capable they are.

fasthaggis

1. Would this frame fetch much (enough for a smaller travel frame)
    Woah there cowboy,give it a chance.

2. Would I notice the difference between 160- 150

NO… if you stay indoors and never ride it ,cause you are worrying about the fork travel.

YES ..if you ride the life out of two identical bikes with different travel for a long long time on the same trails

3. Should I just man up an ride .

See,you had the answer all the time.

HTH 🙂

robhughes
    Free Member

Built mine burly to use as mentioned above. 🙂
    You can use it as a do it all but mine was not built for that purpose.They are superb bikes…Go out and enjoy…
    Now sporting a Ti spring and dropper.
    There not xc frames.Got a trance x and the hardtail for that kind of riding.

ritchic
    Free Member

No I’m not goin to be keepin hard tail so yes “do it all”. Yeah I suppose I should give it a chance. But since I got it I’ve been thinking it maybe too much it was hard to say no at price though. I suppose going for a better fork maybe be first stop as got basic domains so not much adjustment

thestabiliser
    Free Member

it’s a terrible bike, you’ll hate it and the floor has fallen out of their resale value. I’ll give you a tenner and I’m cutting my own throat here. Honest.

10mm will make fek all difference, get on with it.

patriotpro
    Free Member

Advertise on the classifieds as swap, chances are you will get a Zesty owner wanting a Spicy.

tmb467
    Free Member

what fasthaggis says +1

get out and ride it…nowt wrong with a big bike, especially if its the only one you have

ritchic
    Free Member

And I basically ride local trails( Kinver or wyre forest) or Cannock. So mainly single track and I do prefer fast descents compared to climbing

ritchic
    Free Member

That’s a choice the finding a swap.

thestabiliser- what makes it a terrible bike in your eyes

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

He was being sarcastic mate

jim25

Touch of sarcasim I think!

ritchic
    Free Member

I did think that but then the market value bit threw me. As most people you tell you have a lapierre they pull a face at it

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Everything,

my offer has dropped to £9.

Seriously though you could probably drop a fair bit of weight by going down to a 140/150 bike (particulalry ditching the domains) but why don’t you have a few runs out before you decide? Agree with the above, frame and fork swap could be the best route if you’re not happy after that.

ritchic
    Free Member

Ha ha. How long will the £9 offer be on the table. Yes I think I will keep at it see how it goes. Any ideas on how much frame would be worth including shock. Frame in ok condition no play in anything

yorkshire89
    Free Member

As most people you tell you have a lapierre they pull a face at it

People can be a bit weird with bikes. From the short time I have spent here it if you don’t ride a steel single speed your a middle aged bimbler with an expensive fashion accessory 😛

Just ride it and enjoy!

Northwind

If you can pull off a swap, it might work out really well… You can go down to a Zesty or similiar without losing an awful lot of capability, these bikes are superb these days…

The Spicy’s quite an unashamedly big bike, which I reckon is the only sensible way to do 160mm these days now that 140/150 bikes are so capable, no sense putting any more travel on anything but a gnarpoon (*). But still it’s one of the big bikes that doesn’t feel ridiculous on easier stuff- it’s just maybe not the ideal tool.

(* c Thebikechain)

beicmynydd
    Free Member

Depends on where and how you ride, I have have used my 09 spicy in the alps and uplift days. Took it round the MBR last weekend could have gone up the hills a bit quicker on my 120mm ex8 but the spicy is a lot more fun on the downs.
    Ride it first before you decide

chrisw333
    Free Member

Spicy is a hell of a lot of bike for Kinver and the Wyre. Far too much really as the uphills can be very steep. I would have thought a 120mm bike would be more than enough. Trance, EX8 etc.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Spicy maybe too much’ is closed to new replies.