Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Speyside Distillery tours
  • rOcKeTdOg

can anyone recommend a good one?

mt
    Free Member

Cardhu, small and good.

mcmoonter
    Free Member

Ride along the Speyside way from Ballindalloch towards Aberlour and there is one every few miles.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

About ten years ago we did a MTB route which took in Tomnavoulin, tomintoul and Glenlivet. They all had visitor facilities I think, with a couple of free drams at each. As said above, there are loads. I had heard that the Tomnavoulin had been 'moth balled' for many years, so it might not even exist anymore.

the_lecht_rocks

Glen Grant, Rothes – Excellent to the max 😀

shortbread_fanylion
    Free Member

If you're on a budget Glenfiddich is free! There's some great biking nearby as well – maybe ask on the Moray Mountain Bike forum if you want route ideas or a guide.

Nick

Glenfiddich was good, free and included a dram, can't really argue with that.

zokes
    Free Member

Aberlour was absolutely excellent, and even converted a staunch Islay drinker to but a bottle or two of speyside. Bit pricey, but you get about 6 doubles at the end of the tour!

Also pop into the whiskey shop in Dufftown for a great place to try some different ones you may not have come across before

Vader
    Free Member

worth checking if they are open on a sunday if thats when your visiting – a lot of em won't be, especially outside the main tourist season.

Quite enjoyed Tomatin last time i went, very enjoyable. The whisky shop in Tomintoul is quite amusing. Great riding thereabouts too

Yes, something has happed to tamnavulin but i cant remember. Great whisky though, i have a bottle beside me. Something about them closing and reopening maybe.

mcmoonter
    Free Member

Try Cragganmore, Glenfarclas and Glenlivet. All near Ballindalloch. Aberlour in Aberlour. I'd also visit Walker's factory shop for a huge bag of shortbread. I think they make Duchy Originals too.

miketually
    Free Member

The Glenfiddich tour was good when we went last year. Doesn't feel as corporate as I thought it would.

Glen Moray in Elgin was very good the previous year. There was only us (me, wife, 2 little kids) and another couple on the tour. I think the guide was trying to avoid going back to work in the cafe, as he kept opening more and more bottles for us, including a new bottle of Ardberg (they're owned by the same people) and one of their £75 bottles of American Oak whisky, which uses new barrels that are very heavily burned and really good.

thesurfbus
    Free Member

I must really go to Cragganmore Ditillery next week, as we have a holiday house 500m along the road, and we are heading up for 9 nights.

Doug

rOcKeTdOg

thanks all, went to abalour in the end, fantastic time and the tastic session at the end was excellent
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/rocketdog/3766132153/
    six different whiskys
    1 pure from the copper 67%
    2 bourbon cask 64%
    3 sherry cask 54%
    4 10 year old single malt
    5 15 year old single malt
    6 a'bunadh 64%

my fav was the 10 year old, very smooth with a clean finish
    the shop safe held a bottle from 1964, current price £1000

oddly, now back and drinking beer, all i can taste is malt and not the usual taste of cobra! 🙂

zokes
    Free Member

Great call RD! I ended up with a bottle of their sherry cask @59.7%. The a'bunadh was weaker last year (55ish), but I'm sure the liquor from the still was about 80ish! It was a great place – only 6 of us on the tour, and the gf drove too 😀

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Speyside Distillery tours’ is closed to new replies.