Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • Spesh Stumpjumer EVO…
  • mikey74
    Free Member

… to replace my hardtail and Spesh SX Trail?

I need to slim my stable down, due to limited space, so I’m toying with the idea of replacing the above bikes with a do-it-all bike, to be used for xc and DH (including uplifts) riding.

Thoughts?

theroadwarrior
    Free Member

They look nice, my friend is thinking of swapping to one from a 100mm anthem to do more uplift days etc. I find the spec of specialized bikes a little strange but if it works for you then no worries. Also the Enduro to consider at 10mm more travel (that would be the bike id have, but again I wouldn’t spec it the way the BigS do)

Northwind

Brilliant bikes IMO… One of those you can just jump on and immediately feel at home. But wouldn’t be my choice for full-on DH, the performance/handling is certainly up to it but I’d be a wee bit wary of the build’s ability to do it longterm.

If I could have one mountain bike, I reckon it might well be one of these.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    thefallguy
    Free Member

I got one as a warranty replacement for my old 07 stumpjumper. It feels a lot more bike than my old one, very low bb and feels much slacker, gives me more confidence on the downs. Sucks up drop offs and rocky trails and still pedals like a trail bike-I’ve been surprised how well it climbs too. Only issues are the questionable life of the bb30, but what’s new!

idiotdogbrain
    Free Member

Pitch with coil and Lyriks could be an alternative? No BB30 or proprietary shock mount either, but only a 1 1/8″ steerer which might limit choice of forks.

Northwind

To be a do-it-all bike?

mikey74
    Free Member

Would the Pitch with a coil shock and Lyriks would be much different from my SX Trail.

Frankers
    Free Member

I have a 2011 model SJ Evo

Nice bike but don’t ride it that much as live in the Midlands, tend to save it for foreign holidays and some of the more rockier trail centres

Tend to ride my hardtail or 120mm travel FS more often

grum
    Free Member

I have a Pitch with coil shock and 36s as my do it all bike, though I never tend to ride longer than about 30k – mostly in the Lakes though so plenty of climbing. I love it.

Don’t think it would be that different to the SX trail though.

idiotdogbrain
    Free Member

Depends which SX Trail really, but if it’s for proper DH stuff I’d want something heavier duty than a SJ, even the Evo. DHX air and Solo air Lyriks would keep the weight off a bit.

grum
    Free Member

Yeah I would have thought an Enduro would be perfect.

Stevelol
    Free Member

I think if you are light and a smooth rider then you could get away with an Evo for light DH, the fact it’s hard to change the shock may annoy you though. As far as i know it has special mountings which was why I struck one off my list recently.

I would go for a Transition Bandit to be honest or a Covert if you’re heavy or doing bigger drops etc

mikey74
    Free Member

It’s a 2009 SX Trail.

This one

Although the frame is a different colour and a custom build.

It actually pedals really well, just heavy. I have some Rubber Queens that I use for when pedalling is involved, but it does have a coil shock and fork, which obviously adds to the weight.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

As per most specialized bikes, they look like they’d be decent.

It really depends on what sort of riding you do and where you ride.

If the majority of your riding is XC stuff then I’d just keep your hardtail and put up with getting battered on uplift days. Thats all I used to do.

I think alot of people tend to buy these “superbikes” with trips to the Alps in mind (of which they do once a year) but then realise they’re over biked for the rest of the riding they do. Give it a year and then go back to a suitable bike

Hence all these 29er and Cotic love in threads recently.

stevede
    Free Member

I use my 2011 enduro for the type of riding you describe, have a set of 721’s/pro2’s on dual ply der barons for dh and 521’s and more trail friendly tyres for everything else. Bit overkill for full on xc but I’m happy with mine. Sending my shock to tf for a tune tomorrow though as I feel it’s lacking in low speed compression for my weight when powering down. Should make a great bike even better. Ride dh on mine locally and up the road at gawton so it gets put through its paces with regards to harder riding too. The stumpy evo was on my potential list but the press fit bb put me off and having tried a five as a hard hitting all rounder and wrote it off in 7months from new I felt I should try something a bit sturdier!

sonofapitch
    Free Member

@grum what coil shock do you run on your pitch?
    Thinking of getting one for mine.

mikey74
    Free Member

As I said in my OP: A mix of XC and DH, but more DH than XC.

XC would be mainly around the Surrey Hills, and the DH could be Wales, Rogate, FOD, Triscombe, Aston Hill etc.

Swalsey
    Free Member

I’ve had the EVO for 6 months, I think you will be very happy with it for your chosen purposes – they are awesome all-rounders, almost as quick up hill as XC rapid downhill. Do it.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

nice looking black and gold one on ebay at the mo, medium in Swansea

uselesshippy
    Free Member

Mine gets used for 25/30 mile xc rides around the surrey hills, been to rogate on it, and rode dh tracks in the alps on it. One of my mates did the trans provence on his.
    They really are amazing do it all bikes. It gets bounced about a bit in really massive rock gardens, but it’s a sub 30lb bike.

mikey74
    Free Member

nice looking black and gold one on ebay at the mo, medium in Swansea

Just had a look: That one is an Epic.

Ebay Linky

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

😳

grum
    Free Member

@grum what coil shock do you run on your pitch?
    Thinking of getting one for mine.

I bought a second hand DXH5 off here. It feels miles, miles better than the air shock IMO. Obviously there is a weight penalty but I can do 30k/1000m of climbing in the Lakes on it without too much bother.

Dilwyn
    Free Member

Been riding bringewood Dh on my carbon stumpy (not evo) this morning. I’d still use my Dh bike for uplifts every time but the stumpy handles it fine. The wheel base is longer than my old intense m3.

The shock as stock is useless for Dh though. An air volume reducer kit will sort that out though and if I remember rightly the rebound was way too fast too.

I use the stumpy for everything, mainly local Xc but when I’m only able to take one bike abroad I’ll always take the stump jumper. It’s done all portes du soleil, German bike parks, Italy, Spain and never missed a beat.

It has also made the mega A final a couple of times and a couple of solo 24 hr Xc races. It’s definitely the rider holding the bike back and not vice versa.

The only bad thing (once the shock is sorted) is the rear end flex although this might not be as noticeable if you have an Ali frame not carbon as the front will flex a little more.

Frankers
    Free Member

davidtaylforth – Member
    As per most specialized bikes, they look like they’d be decent.
    If the majority of your riding is XC stuff then I’d just keep your hardtail and put up with getting battered on uplift days. Thats all I used to do.
    I think alot of people tend to buy these “superbikes” with trips to the Alps in mind (of which they do once a year) but then realise they’re over biked for the rest of the riding they do. Give it a year and then go back to a suitable bike
    Hence all these 29er and Cotic love in threads recently.

Yep pretty much agree with this

MussEd
    Free Member

Not that many people on here will give him or his opinions much credit but Steve Jones of dirt mag thinks they’re the one of the best production bikes ever…

steven jones (@jonesdirt)
    10/21/12 6:25 PM
    Sorry but it needs saying. One the best production trail bikes ever. Stumpjumper Evo. @BlackBox_JC @iamspecialized pic.twitter.com/5fxn0COr

jim76
    Free Member

Mikey, If you prefer, or shall I say appreciate the ride of a longer travel bike then you’ll love the Evo. If it’s any help you are welcome to do a ride on mine. It’s a 2012 Evo Expert Carbon in size Large. Just drop me a line.

Cheers
    Jim

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

I came so close to getting one of the 2013 Carbon bikes. If they offered it as a frame only option in the UK, i’d have been all over it (assuming it wasn’t sky high pricing).

I couldn’t spent that sort of £ on a bike with a spec I didn’t want. Annoying.

dekadanse
    Free Member

SJ Evo – as others say, a brilliant do-everything bike.

renton
    Free Member

ive bought a 2011 normal 140mm stumpy but have got 150mm fox forks on it !! rides really nice and i dont have the issue of the bb30 to replace every two minutes!!

for your riding I would consider an 09 enduro with 150mm each end as it will be slighty stiffer and less flexy than a stumpy.

you can also fit a different shock to them to as they mount normally to the frame !

mikey74
    Free Member

I think you misunderstand what I want to use it for. That scenario is not me at all.

JCL
    Free Member

For how you describe you riding preferences you want a 13 Enduro with a Lyrik/36. Basically the same weight as the Stumpy, steeper SA so climbs really well and it monsters the downs. In carbon form at sub 27lbs it’s a game changer and makes the Stumpy more or less obsolete.

JCL
    Free Member

Double post.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

A 140/150mm full sus is hardly a “Super Bike” more a trail munching machine.

140mm would be perfect for UK (North) mountian riding enough travel but light enough to get around on.

I would suggest keeping some tougher wheels from the SX (if compatible) to swap out for DH days.

The prices on Spec normally make up for the slightly strange mix of gear. If you get it maybe swap over some stuff.

The Enduro may take more of the hits but might be more than you want day to day.

Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)

The topic ‘Spesh Stumpjumer EVO…’ is closed to new replies.