• This topic has 15 replies, 13 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by DezB.
Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Spesh slaughter in the uk?
  • tom199
    Free Member

Quite a lot of reviews are from the US where I’m assuming they don’t share the joys of a UK ‘summer’
    I’m not one to change tyres for different conditions/ weather/ trails so like to go with a do it all reasonably well type tyre but do like the look of the faster rolling slaughter.
    So are they any good for our general riding conditions or are they a bit out of their depth once things get a bit wet and slippery?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

where I’m assuming they don’t share the joys of a UK ‘summer’

A bit like saying europes weather is all like the UK, it’s a big and varied place 🙂 Wet and slippery were indeed found on my last trip along with dusty dry (in the space of 1 ride)

For an alternative enjoying a 2.4 Ardent on the rear with minion up front for my everything riding and it’s not letting me down (if you accept the back will step out)

momo

I’ve had a couple of rides on mine (control version paired with a butcher control up front) I was impressed with the grip available, ended up riding a very wet and greasy Guisborough woods on one ride and the butcher was completely out of it’s depth, but I managed to keep the rear in a reasonable line. Didn’t notice it at Dalby a week later

poah
    Free Member

I got my 26 version from evans recently

proutster
    Free Member

Have had a Slaughter on the rear of my Anthem and a Rock Razor on the rear of my Reign for over 2 months now – once you’ve learned to brake properly and not rely on the rear then they’re all good 😀

SirHC

Semi slicks are ok in the dry and on rock (Afan in the rain on a minion SS is fine). If the trails you ride are steep and technical, I would sway towards an aggressor/dhf/dhr2, as they don’t offer a lot of braking.

From memory the Grid version uses a 60a centre and 50a shoulder, whilst the control version is 60a all over.

Northwind

IME the Minion SS has better allround grip… They both work way better than you’d think in the mud, basically when it’s soft the tyre cuts in and the side knobs get involved earlier. But the Slaughter IME struggles with wet rock, I pretty much lost my temper with it on a day at kirroughtree, spinning out on all the rock slab climbs.

tom199
    Free Member

I suppose with any tyre debate it’s a lot down to personal preference but would you say the trade off of reduced grip is made up by a noticeable increase in faster rolling?
    I’ve been running a butcher grid/ purg grid combo for a while with no real complaints other than you can feel the drag at the back on really long fireroads slogs. Just crossed my mind that a ss might help this but I’m reluctant to dramatically reduce grip and fun on the downs

Northwind

tom199 – Member

I suppose with any tyre debate it’s a lot down to personal preference but would you say the trade off of reduced grip is made up by a noticeable increase in faster rolling?

It Depends. If I’m on a “all sorts of riding” day then yes, absolutely. If I’m on a “grind up the hills, it’s all about the downhills” then not so much- it’s a compromise so it depends where you want to take the downsides.

For typical scottish enduro racing with lots of squelchy bits I don’t personally think it works out- I lose time in braking/having to control speed more carefully and some techy sections are very sketchy. I feel fast because I’m more on edge but I’m slower. The transitions are much easier but that’s not really that important. On a more mixed day that compromise changes.

For the same sort of riding but not on the clock, it’s a lot of fun and I think it works fine even though it slows me a little.

For trailcentre riding, XC on the big bike, drier conditions hard stuff, it’s very very good. Makes older fast tyres like the Ardent seem a bit rubbish imo.

Just depends where you want to make your compromise.

SirHC

Comparing a minion to a minion SS, the SS is definately faster rolling. But for steeper trails (Bucknell, Bringewood, Wrekin), the trade off with braking grip is too severe and you are relying more on the front for controlling your speed, which is less than ideal (and a recipe for losing the front). I’d soon run a few more PSI in my tyres.

hamishthecat
    Free Member

I have Slaughter grid on the back (650b) and unsurprisingly find it fast rolling but not great for much rear braking grip. I also find it doesn’t seem to give the rim so much protection. Think I’ll be going back to an Ardent. I found it cheapest at Hargroves.

RustySpanner

No idea why, but I’ve a strange compulsion to take my daughter to look at one.

tomaso
    Free Member

I’ve run one on both my Enduro 29er and my Reign for the last 18 months. I ride mostly in the Lakes so it is quite rocky and works well up down and along. However, any sloppy or wet grassy downhills that require any rear brake or aren’t a straight run breaks traction and brings the back end round.

I have had grid casings up until about 2 months ago when I ripped the casing of the grid version for the second time beyond repair. I run the downhill dual ply heavy jobbie now and although it has some extra weight it is very solid and reassuring.

I run it out back all year long in the Lakes. If I went home to the South Downs it would be rubbish in the muddy bottoms and woods but perfect on the chalky tops.

I am likely to change to a downhill High Roller for the Alps as it is suffering from the odd thunderstorm and the trails get pretty sloppy.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

No idea why, but I’ve a strange compulsion to take my daughter to look at one.

Chapeau!

mindmap3
    Free Member

I tend to run a semi slick in the summer – last two summers has been a Rock Razor which I had a love/hate relationship with.

This year I’m on a Minion SS and so far, I really like it. It’s bloody quick – I’m in for a nasty surprise when the DHR II goes back on! It’s done OK in summer mud / damp not sure I’d fancy it in full mud conditions. Braking is better than the Rock Razor, but not ace.

My Demo came with a Slaughter on the rear – not used it to be honest. Didn’t fancy the lack of grip on my DH bike.

DezB
    Free Member

In those heady days before tubeless tyres I used to switch to semi-slicks (Michelin Jets were soooo fast and fun) for the dry summer days.
    But now, I’d rather run more of an all-rounder so I don’t have to change em. Cos they are crap in the wet.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Spesh slaughter in the uk?’ is closed to new replies.