Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • spesh purg/butcher still a good combo
  • carlphillips
    Free Member

My hans dampfs are goosed, looking at replacing with the above for general titting about in the woods riding…

any thoughts on bettererer combo’s

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Good combo, Purg Grid is slightly heavier but has far sturdier sidewalls, a better bet IMO.

rocketman
    Free Member

Err yeah good combo also works well with a Captain on the back

Am currently experimenting with an HRII on the front instead of the Butcher. The Butcher was most excellent until it started to wear out the shoulder lugs could do with a bit more support.

neil853
    Free Member

Its my set up and has been for a while. I have a purg grid on the back just for peace of mind. They’re a decent weight, seal tubeless perfectly and don’t cost the earth. I have a captain too which I stick on the back for summer duties, just adds a bit of speed.

carlphillips
    Free Member

hmm purg grid will google that…have used captains before and rated them as a summer tyre, will get some purgs/butchers in and see how i go then…

cheers.

Northwind

I’ve ended up mostly just using 2 Butchers, the Purg’s not that much faster ime but gives away quite a lot of grip. Captain for speed, Butcher for everything else (worn down butcher for intermediate!)

Still wish there was a supertacky Butcher control though.

medoramas
    Free Member

Butcher front, Purg back – this is my 29er combo for when the weather gets the “made in the UK” label 😉 Maybe a bit overkill for my skill-less XC riding, but they grip everything everywhere.

Tracey

It our combo on most of the bikes. Abigale did five weeks in the Alps with hers, no punctures or damage to the side walls and still plenty of grip left on them. They were a bargain when Specialized were doing the trade in earlier in the year so managed to stock up on a few.

stevede
    Free Member

Sidewalls aren’t strong enough for me, cut both of the control casings I had, if you’re just using em in the woods then 2 butchers would work well but if you plan on throwing in some rocks I’d personally avoid. Exo maxxis work far better for me. Wtb vigilante is also a pretty good alternative option, bit like a magic mary but cheaper.

carlphillips
    Free Member

@steve I doubt anything is strong enough for your riding!!!

Northwind

stevede – Member

Sidewalls aren’t strong enough for me, cut both of the control casings I had, if you’re just using em in the woods then 2 butchers would work well but if you plan on throwing in some rocks I’d personally avoid.

For whatever it’s worth, I’ve had no trouble with rocks, including fort william and antur stiniog uplifts and kinlochleven enduros (where everything is made of rocks). But I’m not hard on tyres for whatever reason.

bigjim

as has been said, great combo, only problem I’ve had is the sidewall on my purg wearing out so the threads are visible, leading to tubeless leakage.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘spesh purg/butcher still a good combo’ is closed to new replies.