Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Spesh Pitch sizing
  • st

What sizes are people riding?

I’m a bit over 6′ so would normally assume large would be best but I’ve been riding a Dialled Alpine 17/23 for the last few months which works out a little smaller than the medium Pitch.

General riding but also a fair bit of seat down mucking about too.

flamejob
    Free Member

I’m 5’10″/11 and I ride a small

I ordered a medium but swapped to a small when I rode it down the pavement.

Love it. Best Bike I have had in 20 years of riding.

I’m 5’11”, but with longish legs.

Both the ’06 and ’08 Enduro’s were too small for me in a medium

deertrackdoctor
    Free Member

im riding a large pitch
    im 6ft tall
    its great for tweed valley forest park descents with the seat deopped a bit .

if i wind down the pikes on the front its fine for xc trails in the hills

Spongebob
    Free Member

It depends on your body geometry! Long legs short body? Short legs? Proportionate legs to body? This all makes a difference, really!

I am 6ft 2″ and would be better off on an extra large. I currently have two large MTB frames. One feels bigger than the other, but they are from the same manufacturer. Measure the stem to seat post as this makes a significant difference to how big a frame feels.

MTB frames are sized smaller than a road bike and it makes a difference what sort of riding you intend to do.

Try a few bikes out and look up online information about frame sizing. Find a good shop that know what they are talking about.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

I’d go for a medium, the large looks huge. They also look like a shite bike for mucking about on, the wheelbase always looks massive in all the photos ive seen of them

st

For my height my upper body is a bit on the long size, inside leg is pretty average.

It’s been a bit weird getting used to the Alpine for normal riding, the 400mm seatpost has been about 10mm short of the limit mark but I now really like it.

I do a bit of downhill on our small local trails but I’m not big into massive drops and shite so a second full on DH bike is (not for the first time) just unueccessary.

We’ve just had news at work that we can get bike to work and the place they deal with has the Pitch Comp on offer which brings in in at under a grand so it seems like a feasible way of ditching 2 bikes (which I can’t really afford) and getting a cheap but decent alternative on the never never (well 12 months of payments)

So what I want is a bike I can dick about on with the seat right down but which will cope with general riding with the seat at full extension. Theoretically the medium Pitch sizes up on a par with my current bike (with notable differences, granted) and I have seen a few large Spesh bikes which do look gate like.

grumm
    Free Member

5’8 and on a medium here. Supposedly the geometry is slightly messed up on the larger ones. I tried a small and it was def too small though.

Oxboy
    Free Member

I’m 6ft tall with a 34” inside leg riding a medium pitch, plenty big enough.

st

Anyone got any pics?

grumm
    Free Member

😀

j-claw
    Free Member

Medium Stu… The large is a gate.

Or you could just keep the Dialled & stop being such a mincer!

deertrackdoctor
    Free Member

if your up seven stanes way your welcome to have a blast on my large pitch just to make sure 😉

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Keep the Alpine, much better bike for mucking about on

grumm
    Free Member

Based on the photos you’ve seen?

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

They also look like a shite bike for mucking about on, the wheelbase always looks massive in all the photos ive seen of them

Sorry, but that’s the most worthless statement I’ve read on STW for a long time

I’m 5’8″ an ride a medium Pitch. The cockpit feels quite short to me, but it’s a fantastic bike for ‘mucking about on’. Indeed, I’d say that’s exactly what it was designed for. It’s certainly NOT an XC bike though. It climbs fine yes, but it’s too slack and chunky to be sprightly going UP.
    Going DOWN, however, is a different story…. 😀

If you want a bike to plod steadily to the top of a mahoosive hill, then fling down the other side at breakneck speed, get a Pitch. If you want a bike to ride all day on Enduros, get something else.

forge197
    Free Member

I’ve got a small Pitch and a 15/22 Alpine.

Both are good for mucking about on but for smiles the Pitch is just ahead as I can carry more speed into the corners with it and it’s a little quicker on the downs, the Alpine climbs better even with 160mm up front (it is a hardtail after all).

The Alpine is easier to Manual (not that I can for more than 1ft) than the Pitch.

Both go down hill and through twisties in a way to generate a smile.

I muck about on both just depends how I feel depends which I choose to ride that day.

snakebite
    Free Member

Get a medium, there’s a guy at work looking to get one in June…. 😆

mikewsmith
    Free Member

There are loads of spesh demo centres around and most will take the price of a days hire test off purchase

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Based on the photos you’ve seen?

Nah, Ive got one, there well good

flamejob
    Free Member

Well that’s as clear as mud eh?!

Best suck it and see 🙂

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

i found the large one a complete gate (6ft, short legs long torso)

the medium didnt feel much better, i just didnt feel like i was in the right place on the bike, like i was hanging on with my arms straight and all my weight out back??

scruff
    Free Member

😛

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Sorry, but that’s the most worthless statement I’ve read on STW for a long time

I’m 5’8″ an ride a medium Pitch. The cockpit feels quite short to me, but it’s a fantastic bike for ‘mucking about on’. Indeed, I’d say that’s exactly what it was designed for. It’s certainly NOT an XC bike though. It climbs fine yes, but it’s too slack and chunky to be sprightly going UP.
    Going DOWN, however, is a different story…. [:D]

If you want a bike to plod steadily to the top of a mahoosive hill, then fling down the other side at breakneck speed, get a Pitch. If you want a bike to ride all day on Enduros, get something else

Yes, it probably was a worthless statement since Ive never ridden one, but I guess it depends on your definition of ‘mucking about’

I would say bmx tracks, jumps, short downhills and maybe some 2 hour xc rides is general mucking about sort of stuff. In which case a slack, long 6inch travel full sus isnt going to help you at all. But as you say, if you want to ride downhill fast then Im sure the pitch is very good

forge197
    Free Member

davidtaylforth – as an owner of both the Pitch and Alpine I have to disagree with that statement.

The Pitch on paper looks like it should be a handfull on a XC ride, jumps, short downhills (I leave out BMX tracks because I never ridden one) as much as it pains me to say (as a big Dialled fan) the Pitch is better in most areas, it’s an incredibly nimble bike to ride and your right at 6″ travel it ought not to be, but it is.

Historically 6″ is Patriot territory and potentially heavy and harder work riding XC on, but the Pitch is a relatively lightweight 6″, mine weighs the same as my Alpine, it’s a 30lb 6″ travel bike.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I would say bmx tracks, jumps, short downhills and maybe some 2 hour xc rides is general mucking about sort of stuff.

Oh yeah, it’ll do that sort of riding no problem, and probably better than some other bikes. But at that you’re not even scratching the surface of what it can do, and if that’s all you do do then it’s the wrong bike for you. It’s a versitile bike for sure, but point it down a big/rocky/steep/gnarly/rooty/bermy/jumpy and it comes alive. It’s astonishing.
    It’s the only bike I’ve ever ridden that lives up to the hype, TBH. I sold a Yeti 575 to get my Pitch and I’ve not regretted it for one second.
    😀

rod5
    Free Member

I used my pitch for a 2.5 hour night ride round woburn last night – awesome bike, fantastic on the downhills and no problem on the rest. My other bike is a whyte 19 which I normally use at woburn, and last night had me thinking about selling the whyte.

It really reminds me of the 2004 4″ travel stumpjumper – I always regretted selling that bike and never liked the 5″ stumpy or last years Enduro as much.

5’10 and medium BTW

grumm
    Free Member

I sold a Yeti 575

Is that the bike you used for the Trans Wales? 😛

I have used my Pitch on longish XC rides, sometimes doing a bit of carrying, eg Hellvellyn and High Street so it’s fine for XC.

As said though, what it excels at, is ragging it dh as fast as you dare, jumping off everything in sight, grinning like a loon.

forge197
    Free Member

PeterPoddy, rod5, grumm – it’s not just me then 🙂

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘Spesh Pitch sizing’ is closed to new replies.