• This topic has 48 replies, 20 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by toons.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 49 total)
  • Spesh Levo Turbo range?
  • mitsumonkey
    Free Member

Hi, I think a couple of you have got these on here, what range are you getting out of the battery?
    I’ve recently bought one and had a few rides but the battery doesn’t seem right. Yesterday for instance I rode 7 miles over a relatively flat off road trail on eco (25%) and it used 28% of the battery putting it’s range at about 20 miles! About half what I was led to believe it would do. I’m about 14 1/2 stone so it’s not hauling mega heavy weight.
    What are your experiences?
    Cheers

jam-bo

was it cold.

battery performance degrades massively in cold conditions.

mitsumonkey
    Free Member

It wasn’t that cold, about 6° – 8° I’d say.
    The mission control app said the battery was warm. Diagnostics didn’t flag anything up either.
    Just wondering what other bikes are getting range wise?
    Edit: the guy at the shop did it didn’t sound right and try it again and see.

cnud
    Free Member

About 25 miles with 3000ft of climbing, prob a tad warmer though.

mitsumonkey
    Free Member

What power setting was it on cnud? How heavy are you?
    Cheers

rOcKeTdOg

off road a cube gets about 35 miles, i know it’s not a spesh but just giving you a comparison. how much range did the sales person lead you to believe you’d get?

cnud
    Free Member

About 13 1/2 stone ish post Christmas! Mix of eco at 20% and trail at 65%

legend
    Free Member

I’d imagine that ranges on these things should be treated like mpg figures for cars – with a hefty pinch of salt as the figure will be for “ideal conditions”

mitsumonkey
    Free Member

Mmmm he said about 35 – 40 rocketdog, with the Bosch going a bit further.
    I love the bike but I’m worried about the battery range.

Rob_S
    Free Member

I’ve done a couple of rides of around 27 miles with 1500 feet climbing, just on 20% battery left.
    I’m 17 1/2 stone, bike is Turbo Levo HT 29.
    Was in trail mode all the way which is set at 45%.

tomhoward

30% remaining after an hour of messing around at stainburn, with a 9 mile each way road ride to get there. 100% power for the road 50% off road.

That was on warm evenings though, and I weigh 12 stone. Mines the fsr expert model, with the 504Wh battery.

mitsumonkey
    Free Member

Seems as though you’re all getting way more range than me. Good job it’s got a guarantee!

chvck
    Free Member

My eco mode is only 10% and I reckon I could do a hilly 100k on it, just about. I can do a hilly 40k on a mix of 25/50 and use about 80% if I’m pushing on a bit, about 17k of that is road. I weigh between 65 and 70 kg. I also have my maximum current set to 75%.

tomhoward

Which model do you have? The comp models have a lower capacity than the expert and upwards models iirc

mitsumonkey
    Free Member

The s works battery has .3 amp hour more than the comp I have. It would make a difference but not a great deal.

mitsumonkey
    Free Member

Just a thought, does the battery take a few cycles to get up to full strength?

z1ppy

are you turning the unit off when gravity is assisting, are the other rider on this thread doing so? I demoed a Bosch that died after 20 miles (power assist on at all times), yet my friends (bosch) bikes regularly do 25 with battery power still showing, though most turn off the assist when going downhill.

martymac

Ive managed 34 miles on road, with 1400ft climbing, i weighed around 132kg, with at least (additional) 5kg in the panniers.
    Cube reaction hardtail, bosch motor, bosch power pack 400.
    I used around 60% of the battery.
    I have also, on a different day, managed to flatten the battery in 14 miles, that was all off road tho, so a lot harder on the battery.
    As noted ^^^^^ its like the mpg on a car, variable.

gmclapham
    Free Member

I got about 32 miles nearly all off-road using eco and trail settings mostly on a Cube Stereo SL with Bosch 500 battery , plenty of climbing involved , most 12 – 17 mile rides in the lakes I use up to about 60% of the battery , could do with a range that would comfortably do 40 miles though … maybe with technical progression this will come in the next year or two.

chvck
    Free Member

I have a comp model and don’t turn off when going downhill. However I did read in one of the manuals that tyre profile + pressure makes a big difference to range so it could be worth looking into that?

M1llh0use
    Free Member

Tried one at FlyUp417 a few weeks back, did the push(ride) up 4 times at max power and it used 30%
    Think we did 8 runs during the day.

Denis99
    Free Member

Bosch CX motor with a 400w battery on my Lebowske Fat Bike will give at least 30 miles off road, includes 3,000 feet of climbing.

90% of the assist is in eco mode, but the rolling resistance of the 4″ tyres is probably more than most on here.

I’m surprised by the poor battery performance the OP is getting though.

tomhoward

Op, What tyre pressures are you running?

neon
    Free Member

hey, I have the Expert model and as it’s been said already you can draw a good comparison between mpg on a car. One thing I had to learn was that the range I got out of the bike changed a lot depending on how fit I was feeling. Obviously the more power I put in the more range I got on the bike. As someone else said above, tyre pressure, pack weight and tuning the motor had a massive effect. For what it’s worth I changed my accelaration response and turbo setting under advice from the shop and its made a big difference. On average my rides are around two hours, 20 miles and 2200 feet of climbing. I ride mainly on trail and eco and have 4 lights left at the end of my ride. A friend I ride with (whos much bigger than me) has a flashing red light at the end but he hasn’t changed his settings…

cnud
    Free Member

Hey neon, what did you change the acceleration response to?

I managed to do the Burma Road loop (Aviemore) plus the extra bit round Rothiemurcus and Ryvoan Bothy. Had it on 50% for the big climb then eco for the rest. 36 miles and it ran out of power with two miles of flat tarmac remaining. Happy with that although being at the Bothy with only two red lights remaining was an anxious time.

It goes from 5 lights to zero much faster than 10 to 5.

toons
    Free Member

Depends how much work you put in!

The most I’ve got is 20miles and 5200ft; that was running eco 25% and motor 25%.

Have you got your motor on 100%? I don’t think there’s much difference between 75% and 100%.

I did settle on eco25%/motor75% and eco50%motor75% for the hills; we’re getting around 3500ft

I’ve just started testing eco15% and 100% motor with trail30% 100%motor for the climbs.

My acceleration is normal; on the next setting up, the bike pulls too much in the tight twisty sections.

I’ve also just ordered the remote switch (to change modes).

I’ll be buying a second battery in the spring for more epic rides.

Btw there’s a battery firmware out FOC at your dealer.

toons
    Free Member

Has anybody tried using the app to set the distance?

i found it utterly rubbish! It gives you way to much power at the start of the ride; it should be the other way round.

10pmix
    Free Member

My regular Levo ride is 25% Eco for 26 miles 3000ft of climbing. That gets me home with 10% battery remaining. I’m 14 stone and ride with a light pack and 18-20psi. All other settings are factory.

I’ve put carbon bars and rims on it now so looking forward to big improvement 😉

toons
    Free Member

The most recent ride I did 17 miles, 2881ft of climbing and had 15% battery left.

i’m switching between eco20%trail30%turbo40% with the motor at 100% and acceleration normal

[/url]Turbo levo

tomhoward

I can confirm that having a flat (like, completely) tyre, increases battery life no end. Esp if you don’t have a repair kit/spare tube, as you don’t want the tyre to get shredded, you get off and push your commute, 3 miles to the nearest station…

boltonjon

Looking forward to seeing you guys with flat batteries on the trails trying to get these monsters home 🙂

tomhoward

Oh hai Jon! Wondered how long you’d be…

In response to your statement, I beat a mate up the last climb at gisburn before getting back to the car park, having disconnected the battery. They aren’t as heavy as you think. Mines 20kg, and I reckon I could pop a good couple of kg off that with the application of inclination and money. I’ve owned heavier normal bikes that were marketed as being a pedallable freeride bike, rather than a DH rig, that were made in the last 10years.

As ever, my invitation to you to come try mine is always open…

boltonjon

ha ha – you never know – i might take you up on that offer!! 🙂

M1llh0use
    Free Member

Inaugural ride on mine yesterday managed 22 miles with 3 1/2 thousand feet of climbing and ended up with two battery blobs left.

The whole ride was done on eco-setting set at 25% with 100% Motor current.

neon
    Free Member

CRUD, I changed mine to 50% so halfway doen the slide bar on the App. Most people seem to be changing their Turbo settings etc but the acceleration response and max motor current have the biggest effect on range.
    Max motor current only effects the peak loads, (MAX motor current) and helps with the off road performance. The acceleration response keeps the traction and performance for off-road but if you are using the Hybrid then the acceleration response being higher might be preferable. It will still drain the battery faster though, its like slaming your foot to the floor at every set of lights and every gear change in your car.

tomhoward

If anyone who doesn’t have one wants to try out a levo, the Harrogate concept store are doing a demo day at stainburn on 19th Feb. You need to register/book beforehand though.

tomhoward

http://specializedpromotions.co.uk/stainburn/

I know the ebikes aren’t mentioned but they will def be there

cnud
    Free Member

Neon, Thanks !

neon
    Free Member

Happy to help. I’ve found out there is a lot more to how these bikes perform than one first thinks.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 49 total)

The topic ‘Spesh Levo Turbo range?’ is closed to new replies.