Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Spesh Enduro 2010/11
  • fergal
    Free Member

Any opinons please on the stock bars stem (comp model), have you changed and found a big difference in the handling.

fergal
    Free Member

bump…It sounds like a daft question, but i know there was talk of the bike having a better attitude with more sorted stem, bars, i have just been to lazy to get it sorted till now, but don’t want to change them untill i have an idea of the right combo, anyone with suggestions.

GW
    Free Member

I’d suggest you ignore any suggestions on what bar/stem set-up to run and run the set-up which suits your size and riding style best. 🙄

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

What he said (but if you’re feeling sheep-esque, 70mm stem and 760mm flat bars).

jaffejoffer
    Free Member

I swapped the bar and stem before id even sat on it, ahem…

fergal
    Free Member

Always ridden hardtails before i got this, so don’t really know how it is supposed to feel, feels wiered on undulating twisty trails compared to the hardtail, but excels going down, horses for courses i guess, isn’t the stock stem 75mm?, flat bars might iron out the highish front end suppose?

mrblobby
    Free Member

The enduro is a very versatile bike so i reckon it depends on the sort of riding you do on it. On a similar AM bike I found 750/50 to be excellent on downhill tracks in the alps, but at most UK trail centres I would go for something like 700/70. I think it’s a pedalling thing. On tight twisty trails that are punctuated by frequent short uphills that require a good pedalling effort to keep the speed up I find it harder to hold a good line with very wide bars. Though my shoulders are not very broad and a bit weedy.

Definitely recommend trying different combinations for different types of riding.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

isn’t the stock stem 75mm?

Mines a pitch, if the enduro the same the medium it’s 75/720mm.

The enduro is a very versatile bike

I bought into that idea, it’s not, I won’t kid myself. The Pitch is a very single minded bike, it likes going downhill fast. Yes it climbs, but using it for XC is like taking a tank to a round of the WRC. Using it at trail centers it just feels like overkill and hardtails/shorter travel would be* faster. For places like the Peaks, Lakes or more ‘downhill’ orietated trail centers it’s great, more than capable enough for most people/trails but you can ride up the push up’s which means more of the fun stuff!

To put it in context, Pook looked quite offended at the bottom of Pindale when I remarked that it wasn’t really a challange, the Pitch just makes that kind of riding earier as well. What it thrives on is stuff that rocky/bumpy but twisty and singletrack width as well.

[edit]*Ok, not “be” faster, but they certainly feel faster, so when the clocks not ticking a hardtail would be more fun in this situration.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Definitely would agree with that. Took my mega to coed y brenin on the weekend. Was fun on a few of the sections but overall my 100mm xc bike would have been quicker and more enjoyable. Most of the down sections aren’t steep or long enough to get the bike properly up to speed and they are usually punctuated by frequent short steep rooty bits or tight turns which spoil the fun. Much better suited to, and more fun on, lighter short travel bikes IMO.

traildog
    Free Member

You almost certainly need flat bars and as wide as you can possibly reach. Try some stretching exercises to see if you can get your arms longer so you can run even wider bars. This will make the bike so much faster.. maybe.

fergal
    Free Member

You funny…. do you own an Enduro of this vintage, care to add something useful senor.

ps i hate buying bling for the bikes, that is why it has stayed stock for so long, maybe it is just fine with the cow bars.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Fergal, what you planning on using the enduro for and why are you thinking you might want to change?

sing1etrack

2010 Comp here.

Bars and stem swapped early doors for a slightly wider (710mm) and shorter (50mm) combo. I think it feels better, though that might just be because Dirt mag said it would! Also swapped the tyres for a Minion/Highroller, otherwise it’s as it was out of the shop. Tougher wheelset and a dropper post would be nice but not essential, but funds won’t allow just yet.

Awesome bike, I can’t understand why it’s not more popular.

fergal
    Free Member

Yep i think that is where i read that(dirt) it’s a great bike, but what do i know, it’s my first more capable bike.

Blobby , as to the riding, drops, trying to go bigger and stuff in the mountains,Lakes/Scotland – Ben Lomond etc, a general all round bike really that can handle big rocky descents, but also ride up within reason…. the change is because as i said on the the more undulating, tighter twisty stuff, i’m not sure it feels better than my hardtail, but i guess it would be different.

dirk_pumpa
    Free Member

It’ll have better handling if you shorten the stem for sure..

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Spesh Enduro 2010/11’ is closed to new replies.