Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Spesh Control tyres in that Alps?
  • godzilla
    Free Member

Ive always used Maxxis dual ply on holiday but I’m running Butcher perg”s tubeless and wondered if anyone has tried this combo abroad, off to stay with white room again in a few weeks and i don’t remember it been too rocky.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

I used a purg control on rear for a while, first trip to the lakes and the thing was trashed, grid casing sorted the problem. I wouldn’t risk it, it’s always in the back of my mind that if I have tyre problems on a bike holiday, it’s affecting everyone else’s fun.

Butcher control was okay up front, just the rear that took a battering.

Northwind

There were 2 guys in my group using controls last year- butchers and purgs. Wouldn’t be my choice tbh, stickier and tougher for me but they got on fine I think, with a wee bit less aggro approach. (I use control butchers on the back at home, great tyre). White Rooms routes usually aren’t especially hard on tyres but still, it’s enough descending unfamiliar trails at speed that they get knocked around.

I was on ust highrollers last time and that was pretty much perfect. Tough, sticky, not too draggy, great in the dust. Used SX butchers another year, which were also pretty good though not as good in the really dry crumbly stuff.

Tracey

We run that combo on our bikes, Abigale did five weeks in the Alps last year with hers. Four weeks in Verbier and the last week with the White Room. They have done eighteen months on her Enduro riding throughout the Peak in the winter and also the last three PMBA Enduros. We fitted her some carbon wheels last week so her Rovals will be going as spares, still shod with the same tyres for our Alps trip next week. New tyres are the same combo.

godzilla
    Free Member

Ive run the combo in the Lakes dales ect on my trail bike, even uplift days without issue and that was tubed, I’m just being a bit paranoid about being under tyre’d, i may take a grid as a spare.

lardman
    Free Member

I ran butcher SX’s last year front and back. Staying with the white room.
    Held up fine for my vast weight, but would not run the control versions: way too thin walled.

paul123
    Free Member

Didn’t think you could get a butcher SX our are they the same as grids?

lornholio
    Free Member

I live in “The Alps”. Currently Butcher Control front & Butcher Grid rear with no problems.

Control is a bit thinner all over than Schwalbe Snakeskin and Grid feels the same or a little thicker all over compared to a Maxxis EXO.

Northwind

paul123 – Member

Didn’t think you could get a butcher SX our are they the same as grids?

Hard to find but yep, there is an SX- comes on some bikes and Freeborn I think had them for a while. Pretty comparable to a maxxis ust- not dualply construction but almost dualply tough, and a little lighter. And stickier rubber too. Very good tyre imo

paul123
    Free Member

Cheers Northwind.i have a clutch sx which seems to be a great compromise between weight and stiffness/durability. I’ll try Freeborn. Is there much between a brief and an sx on terms of casing?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Spesh Control tyres in that Alps?’ is closed to new replies.