• This topic has 24 replies, 13 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by cb.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Spesh Command Post IRcc
  • cb

Its new bike day but the damn post is frustrating me. Do these things have to be adjusted to a certain rider height to start with? The seatpost was quite high when taking the bike out of the box and the travel of the post was at the full extent of its stroke. It seemed to work quite well when dropping the post though i.e. its stayed in the lower positions.

However, I had to fully insert the seatpost to get the saddle to a suitable height for me and the post seemed to have some resistance to going down. Once down, there seemed to be a lot of slack in the cable at the lever and the post wouldn’t stay down when compressed. With the height of the post changing I assume there is ‘extra’ cable that has to go somewhere – should this extra have been trimmed or something?

New bike and I can’t ride the damn thing…

Mail order purchase and tempted to just return the whole bike as they didn’t have anybody technical to talk with on the phone.

zerolight
    Free Member

Lift the seat post back up out the frame to remove all the slack and make sure it works properly when you press the Trigger to drop it. Once you are happy it’s actually working, pull the cable through at the bars as you lower the post into the frame, this will pull all the slack away. Long term you can trim it shorter for to get out riding, pulling a couple inches of cable through to the bars won’t cause any issues.

wiggles
    Free Member

You are just jamming the cable down into the frame… It needs to go somewhere so pull it out of wherever it exits the frame as you push the post down and it will work fine.

orangeboy
    Free Member

As you push the post down pull the cable out of the frame. Or for a neater look after sorting your saddle height trim the caseing for a nice short neat run at the bars.

the inner cable unclips from the bottom of the post with a solderless nipple so it can be shortened and making the post easy to remove.

Just pushing the post down will kink the cable and bigger it.

cb

Thanks guys – seems simple now!! Sorted! However, seems with the seatpost all the way in, the 125mm travel is too much for me anyway! I can’t get full extension of the dropper – appears I’ve bought the wrong size bike! This is just the dining room sitting test – might be fine riding but if I do that and its not then I won’t be able to return it.

Bugger.

orangeboy
    Free Member

Spesh make those posts in 100mm drop as well as 125mm.

cb

I could ask them to swap it over. Having sat on it again, it keeps collapsing from its middle position and the intermediate positions don’t work at all. The post is definately faulty.

jamj1974

It might be that now the cable is under some tension so is not reliably holding position.

davefarmer
    Free Member

All very simple fixes to a very easy post to work on.

All things that should be set up on pdi of the bike when it is collected. This is why Specialized and most brands want their bikes sold to a customer and handed over properly, not sold mail order.

Tracey

If the post works when it’s not fully inserted then it’s a tension problem with the cable when you slam the post fully into the frame. If you are having to do that then you may be right about the frame size.

The 100mm posts only come on the small frames

For a better idea what size frame have you got and how tall and inside leg are you

cb

Tracey – I’m 6ft but longer on body than legs, 31/32inch leg. I was pretty comfortable ordering the large as I’m bang in the middle of the size guide. I sat on an equivalent 2017 model in an lbs and it ‘seemed’ ok so something is amiss. Trouble with buying on price and mail order (this model is 1500 more in 2017 than the sale 2016) is that I can’t ride it to try.

I know you guys are Enduro experts! Can you tell me if these bikes came with tubeless tapes and valves in the box in 2016? All I got was the bike.

zerolight
    Free Member

Make sure you have not over tensioned the cable at the lever, assuming it’s adjustable. It sounds to me like the cable is always under tension. Slamming the post would have the opposite effect. So see if you can loosens it off. If there’s no adjustment then you might find its not installed right, and since you need to trim it for length anyway, you could do it right this time – just a bit more cable showing after the outer than maybe has been done.

However, if the bike is too big there’s nothing you can do. The seat post can’t extend longer than its default position (so it’s not broken and over extending) and they can’t be calibrated to make them shorter. If it’s a 125mm seat post then you need it’s neutral position to be right at the top of its length. If that, when bottomed out on your frame is too long then you need a smaller bike.

RamseyNeil
    Free Member

You would not have this problem if you had bought the bike from the LBS that you used to size yourself .

cb

Seriously Ramsey – p*ss off. The lbs is one of many that I went to to look at a variety of bikes from a variety of manufacturers. Spending this amount of money isn’t a regular occurance for me so go and be dull on your own thread.

Thanks everyone else.

cb

zerolight – do you mean ‘normal riding position’ by neutral? Measuring against my old bike, the saddle height is just about right with the seatpost down as far as it will go into the frame and the dropper element at full extension. With the command post I can then drop halfway down and supposedly small increments from there down to the lowest setting. This would be OK.

However, if that ‘normal riding position’ were to be just a little too high in practice then I wouldn’t have that fine adjustment available to make it fit as the post is already as far down as it goes. A Reverb would give me that adjustability I guess?

akira

They are quite sensitive to cable tension I’ve found so downtimes it does take a bit of fettling. Obviously if it’s too high at full height it’s not that useful.

sprinter2139
    Free Member

I’ve found that on the Command Post on my Stumpy you need to make sure you tension the cable with the seat post at it’s highest position.

The cable gets slightly tighter the higher the seat goes, so if you tension it in the lowest position, as it rises it could have enough pull on the actuator to let the seat drop when it’s in the top or maybe even middle position.

Also, if it’s not already then grease the knuckle in the top of the seat post, as I found that mine was sticking down and causing the lever to go slack until it popped back into its default position.

Tracey

All ours have come with rims already taped and the Roval valves in the spares box.

We all ride mediums but the set up is the same. Inside leg measurement on Abigale is the same as yours and on the medium the marks on the back of the post reads the 7 for her if that makes sense.
    If it was me I would pull the post out to ensure the outer cable is fitted right in to the bottom of the post. If it is and you are happy with that as you put the post back in keep pulling on the cable where it comes out of the frame to ensure you don’t kink it as it’s going back down the seat post. Forget how much cable you have at the front at this time as you are trying to ensure that there are no twists or kinks in it when you lower it . If that works but it’s still not holding then see if you can detension it a bit on the lever where the cable goes in and try that.
    Where are you based

idiotdogbrain
    Free Member

What’s your BB centre to top of saddle position on your old bike? I’m 6′ like you, and shorter in the leg, and mine is just over 29″. In practice, this meant on a Large Bird Aeris (470mm ST), I had a 150mm Reverb about 5mm out of the frame to fit properly, so I can’t see how a 125mm Command Post doesn’t fit you on a large Enduro (463mm ST)?

Hopk1ns
    Free Member

When you say the post is too long when at full height even if the post is inserted fully do you mean….
    You can’t reach the pedals without over stretching the leg or you can’t reach the floor?

I’m 6ft with 32 inch leg, spec Enduro large, seapost is about 1-1.5 inches above full insert. Seated with heal on pedal my leg is straight, once ball of foot is on the pedal in riding position, leg is slightly bent. The frame is is prefect. As your 6ft 31-32 inches I’m surprised you can’t extend the seat post fully and reach the pedals correctly? I had the same sized stumpy aswell, same set up.

cb

Thanks again for the replies – I’m not doing myself any favours trying to sort this without inserting pedals or riding the thing (in case I have to return it).

Will speak with the shop and see if they are happy for me to have an ‘up and down the road’ test.

Idiot db – thanks, will try thsoe measurements. Thanks also hopk1ns.

Tracey – Cheshire based. I had nothing in the box so it seems I’m short pedals (basic I know) and vales at the bare minimum.

RamseyNeil
    Free Member

Ok I’ll try a helpful post this time . The 2016 Enduro doesn’t come with pedals . The rims will already be taped with Specialized tubeless tape – 2Bliss it will say on it if you have a look . You should also have got a booklet for the bike along with 2 tubeless valves . I am the same height as you are but with slightly longer legs and can easily get on a large Enduro , in fact I have a riding buddy who is 6 foot but with shorter legs than upper body and he has an Enduro size large and is fine on it . The dropper post is almost certainly needing setting up correctly They are sensitive to cable routing and tension adjustment and if you can’t get it to work yourself then you could ask the shop where you got it from if they will pay for you to have it set up at the nearest Specialized dealer , they might say yes to save losing a sale and the cost and hassle of having a bike sent back , alternatively do you have any mates who are handy at that sort of thing .

pictonroad

how do you know it’s long if you haven’t put any pedals on it? The pedal to saddle distance will get slightly shorter as the suspension compresses.

idiotdogbrain
    Free Member

The pedal to saddle distance will get slightly shorter as the suspension compresses.

Err.. on a URT, yes. On an Enduro, or pretty much any other current FS bike, nope!

cb

Thanks again everybody, I’m over my panic I think. The measurements above have helped. Not being able to put the pedals on has caused doubt – I’m not used to 29ers or indeed any modern bike! Pedals are going on tomorrow, and tbf the shop has said it will pay to get the post sorted locally (30 minutes drive away unfortunately).

Seems I need to get them to send the handbook, valves and pedals. This model stated resin flats do come with it (will be rubbish I know but useful for the kids bikes).

Ramsey – thanks for the info!

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Spesh Command Post IRcc’ is closed to new replies.