Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Spesh butcher V Minion DHF
  • sonofapitch
    Free Member

Love the 2.5 minion on the Front but have just ordered 2x 2.3 Purgatorys for when they land on the 25th
    Just thinking Purg rear butcher front both control
    Any thoughts?
    Or will purgatory front and back be fine

sonofapitch
    Free Member

Must be shite! Think I’m gonna get a panaracer.

Northwind

They’re pretty similiar, as you’d expect since the R&D for the Butcher definately included “Nip out and buy some Minions”. 2.3 Butcher is pretty much the same size as the 2.5 Minion. Compound/grip feels a little less sticky than supertacky, but stickier than maxxpro, and when they do let go they do so better. Haven’t done any orrible mud yet so not sure about clogging/grip.

Oh, and they’re lighter without obvious drawbacks, tubeless ready, and roll about the same as a Maxxpro I reckon.

Now, try and buy one 😉

eshershore
    Free Member

considering the Butcher and Minion are manufactured by the same company (Cheng Shin) there is not as much difference as perhaps assumed

something I would say for Specialized tires, they always come up much larger width and volume than the “given” size

Specialized 2.3″ is as large, if not actually larger in ‘volume’ than Maxxis in 2.5″

chiefgrooveguru

something I would say for Specialized tires, they always come up much larger width and volume than the “given” size

They come up correct, unlike older Maxxis designs which are well undersized.

Northwind

esher shore – Member

Nah… Just measured a Butcher Control 2.3, it’s 2.27 corner to corner. Eskar, 2.25. Both on Roval Traversee rims so a tad narrow, on my Flows they’d be a fraction wider. And my Clutch SX on the DH bike is 2.28 on a Flow.

Yeah I know, I’m a nerd 😐 Specialized are pretty consistent and close to accurate with their tyres, they just seem wide compared with undersized alternatives.

It’s like trying to park a car using penis inches this.

sonofapitch
    Free Member

Cheers guys think ill change my order.
    1x purgatory control
    1x butcher control
    🙂

squaremonkey
    Free Member

Anyone know where you can get hold of the Butcher Control tyres?

Fancy trying them as my Hans Dampf’s rub the chainstays on my Devinci Dixon if I corner hard……..

JCL
    Free Member

Depends what kind of riding you’re doing but a Butcher SX up front is the way to go if you prioritise descending.

Northwind

Freeborn is doing £54 for a pair, everyone else seems to have them “in stock as of christmas”. Specialized do weird things with some of their imports.

FWIW the Butcher SX and Control have the same compound and handle much the same- only difference is the carcass construction, SX is tougher. Possibly a little stiffer though it’s not obvious to me when riding if it is- noticable in the hands though.

squaremonkey
    Free Member

I was thinking Purgatory control rear and Butcher control front as the bike needs to go up as much as down.

Is there much of a weight penalty with the SX over the control? where can you buy the SX currently?

I spoke to Freeborn and they wont have the Butcher control until after Christmas.

Northwind

I can’t remember the difference just now but it’s around 200g.

I had to stick a Butcher on the back the other week as I was having rear tyre/wheel rock issues… I was expecting draggy misery, and obviously it’s not a fast tyre but it’s not terrible. I won’t be making a habit of it.

JCL
    Free Member

Controls are nice but you have to run them hard. With SX’s you can run lower pressures as the sidewall has more support.

Northwind

Yeah, that makes sense- I run 30psi in both but if you’re chasing low pressures I reckon the Control could get wobbly before the SX

(oh yeah- the SX isn’t officially tubeless ready, but it seems just as good at it as the Control)

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Spesh butcher V Minion DHF’ is closed to new replies.