Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Spesh Butcher Control on the front – what light fast tyre on the back?
  • rocketman
    Free Member

Following on from some STW advice earlier this year I have Butcher Controls on the front of two bikes and I love them.

One bike has an Ardent on the rear and the other has a CrossMark both of which are in need of replacement. I’ve no complaints about either of them but I rarely buy the same tyre twice.

What would be a light, fast rolling tyre to partner a Butcher?

(tubed 26″) cheers

andyrm
    Free Member

I use a Captain Control 2.2 – fast rolling, light but also has decent side knobs too. And cheap! 🙂

davewalsh
    Free Member

Racing Ralph?
    Personally I love ardents and would stick with one of them.

rocketman
    Free Member

Captain Control looks good

Cheers

PJM1974
    Free Member

The Captain tyres work very well on the rear, plus they’re a doddle to set up tubeless too. However, if you ride somewhere flinty be aware that they’re not exactly the most puncture proof choice and the sidewalls of the S-Works versions are especially weak.

For £30 you can’t really go wrong.

specializedneeds

Bonty XR2 Team Issue

rocketman
    Free Member

It’s mostly rubble and sand around Cannock just the occasional blackthorn puncture.

The S-Works versions are lighter?

PJM1974
    Free Member

S-Works versions of Spesh tyres are a fair bit lighter, but they’re fragile.

I ran an S-Works Storm (F) and Captain (R) on my xc bike, both of which quickly tore sidewalls. I replaced them with standard Control versions of the same and have had far fewer punctures since. The minimal saving in weight isn’t worth the hassle IMHO.

rocketman
    Free Member

OK PJM thanks for that

Northwind

S-works or ralphs on the back would suggst either a) butcher too much tyre for the front or b) you’re going to puncture like a porcupine in a balloon shop.

I’ve been using a kenda slant 6 on the back, which is a slick with acne… excellent until wet grass occurs, at which point things go wrong very quickly 😆 But give it mud, there’s bugger all grip, but the exact same amount of bugger all, all the time- totally predictable and usable, never clogs at all. Bit of an aquired taste mind.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Spesh Butcher Control on the front – what light fast tyre on the back?’ is closed to new replies.