Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 57 total)
  • Spelin couldn care les.
  • therag
    Free Member

Do people really care if someone on here has misspelt something or used the wrong grammar.
    I keep seeing corrections on here and keep thinking “bet they got bullied in school”

molgrips
    Free Member

YES I DO! 🙂

therag
    Free Member

WHY

RustySpanner

Sometimes.

If someone’s being really arsey about something, I might pull them up just to point out the nature of human falibility.
    But I always try to include at least one grammatical or spelling mistake in my reply 🙂

Cougar

“Care” is probably the wrong word.

“Judge,” perhaps. This is an Internet forum rather than a writing competition sure, but nonetheless if a post appears which contains bad grammar / punctuation / spelling, then one of the following applies to the poster:

1) they’re dyslexic
    2) they’re using a clunky client which makes accurate typing difficult
    3) English isn’t their first language
    3) they’re a cretin
    4) they just don’t give a toss

If you fall into the first three then fair enough. If not then your semi-literate scrawling will have an impact on how I (we?) perceive you and how much credence is given to the point you’re trying to make.

Picking people up on typing as a means to winning an argument is lame, though. If that’s the best you can do, you’ve already lost.

IanMunro
    Free Member

wot cougar sez

therag
    Free Member

I’ve got 1&2 possibly 3b & 4 but sometimes go on a bike forum for bike advice or chat and keep seeing corrections, really grips my sh!t

finbar
    Free Member

Correcting mistakes that are obviously typos is daft, but more often it’s someone picking up on something properly stupid, like writing “breaks” instead of “brakes”.

antigee

Poor spelling is endemic, as is poor grammar. I will correct it when the poster seems to be going out of their way to make an especially specious and pompously pointless point.

bullied at school

yes but one tough MF now

spacemonkey

Edukator will be along shortly …

nealglover
    Free Member

I couldn’t give a monkeys normally, but for some reason one particular error seems to taunt me into pointing it out.
    (I can’t explain why, I’m normally quite relaxed about almost everything?)

“I went to the shop and brought some new wheels”

If they actually did, fair enough ?!

But then surely it would be “took” some new wheels (with me) ??

:mrgreen:

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

3) English isn’t their first language

3) they’re a cretin

seems to imply that english not being your first language and being a cretin are the same thing, which I would probably pick someone up on if I didn’t already have a bad case of 4)

therag
    Free Member

Do people really speak like this?
    Didn’t realise before coming on her how much some people think of themselves. 🙄

D0NK

If it makes a difference to the the meaning, your you’re etc and punctuation, then it matters, you are after all communicating in a written word only environment, can’t remember ever having pulled someone up about it tho, if you can’t spell necessary who cares – unless you are ranting about the state of education 🙂

Cougar

seems to imply that english not being your first language and being a cretin are the same thing, which I would probably pick someone up on if I didn’t already have a bad case of 4)

Bother.

TooTall
    Free Member

Some people don’t like being spoken to in yoof speak. Some people prefer the written medium to be something they can understand. All too often on forums the message is garbled or misunderstood because the author cannot clearly express what they mean. Spelling and punctuation are a big part of that, whether you like it or not. Different things are important to different people.

rossm
    Free Member

Spelling mistakes make me think that your stupid. 😉

antigee

Didn’t realise before coming on her…

at least that didn’t happy during a public presentation

therag
    Free Member

“stupid” sometimes.
    Can’t always spell or type perfectly, but good at maths, can build a house, make a decent wage and most importantly build & ride a bike. If someone can’t spell as good as you, they can usually do a lot of other things better

bikebouy
    Free Member

I think as long as it’s all in context then misspellings fine, in fact sometimes it adds to the contribution.

However, sometimes it’s just annoying when people (me included) can’t be bothered to spell check.

However 2, I often post from my mobile, that’s pretty damn annoying typing and reading the text, sometimes the darn thing just misspells for you!!

I mean, Elf wouldn’t be Elf if he spoke properslike would he (and I kinda like the way he types, and what he says)

therag
    Free Member

I only use my mobile. Not sure of it has spell check. It has text dictator but he’s thicker than me!

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Cougar – Member
    “Care” is probably the wrong word.

At least he spelled it proppli.

TooTall
    Free Member

but good at maths, can build a house, make a decent wage and most importantly build & ride a bike

None of which help one bit if you are posting on STW and get grumpy at other people and their standards.

donsimon
    Free Member

I find it difficult to take seriously people who can’t spell or grammarise correctly.

therag
    Free Member

Tootall it was a reply to previous comment

donsimon
    Free Member

Tootall it was a reply to a previous comment.

🙄

Hopk1ns
    Free Member

It helps people who need to feel better about themselves…. feel better.

philconsequence
    Free Member

i can type properly… but this being a forum for avoiding work, why would i want to?

its like having a big penis, being happy with your life, being intelligent etc… if you know you’ve got the right stuff in the bag, you dont feel you need to boast about it all the time. its the people who lack something that tend to criticise others the most 🙂

some people are just grumpy of course!

did i mention i have a big penis?

aracer
    Free Member

If someone can’t spell as good as you, they can usually do a lot of other things better

Unfortunately, more often than not that’s not the case – and I certainly wouldn’t see inability to spell as any evidence of competence in other areas.

donsimon
    Free Member

did i mention i have a big penis?

I think this is really what you meant to say, isn’t it?

philconsequence
    Free Member

*looks down at tiny biro*

😥

(must stop getting my pens from argos)

stevewhyte
    Free Member

Depends on the situation

On a Forum like this, irrelevant unless some ‘female sex organ’ wants to pull their spelling punctuation police card out like anyone gives a toss.

In a job application then yes because it make you look like you have not checked your application or take the time to ensure spelling is correct, not because of the actual poor spelling.

As long as the people you are communicating to understand then all it dandy.

As a teacher I do pick up on spelling but then that’s my job aint it!!!!! 😆

Junkyard
    Free Member

I find it difficult to take seriously people who can’t spell or grammarise correctly.

Waves

It all just depends, my typos are almost always due to rushing – typing something fast due to having to do some actual work or just not caring. The former usually during daytime and the later at night.
    I do occasionally hit the touch pad on th elap top and generate gibberish though

Re the issue , i t depends sometimes it shows lack of understanding sometime it says nothing much about anything.
    if you can understand their argument and the point they are trying to make then just respond to it with out being a smug, supercilious male hen IMHO
    I find grammar nazi and pedants to be sad, sad people, who should get out more.
    If it did not upset them I would probably actually try to remove my errors..then again I would post have as much
    MLEH

MrSalmon
    Free Member

On a Forum like this, irrelevant unless some ‘female sex organ’ wants to pull their spelling punctuation police card out like anyone gives a toss.

It’s not really irrelevant though. As Cougar says, people do judge on presentation/impressions, and on here there’s not much else to go on but what people say and how they say it. Rightly or wrongly, it has an impact on how receptive people are to what you have to say.

That’s no reason to go all grammar Nazi, but I don’t mind saying if people can’t be bothered to express themselves properly I often can’t be bothered to pay any attention to them.

donsimon
    Free Member

Waves

Wvaes ba ck.
    😀
    PS. Junky- watch the press today or tomorrow for an update… 😐

pitduck
    Free Member

It helps people who need to feel better about themselves…. feel better. +1

therag
    Free Member

Agree ^^^

stevewhyte
    Free Member

MrSalmon – Member

It’s not really irrelevant though.

Thank you for reinforcing my point.

soobalias
    Free Member

sorry, therag, please confirm that when you typed “^^^” you meant that you agreed with the post, three above yours, that of MrSalmon.

GrahamS

Odd typos are acceptable, but forming a coherent sentence is a simple matter of respect. Galiring errors imply that you just can’t be bothered expressing yourself clearly to the ohter preson.

Possibly because you think they are a bit fo a occk.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 57 total)

The topic ‘Spelin couldn care les.’ is closed to new replies.