Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • speedplay shoes
  • verticalclimber
    Free Member

has anyone tried speedplay specific road shoes and found they were better for not getting hotspots? have some new spesh carbon shoes and getting terrible hotspot 1 foot only. have the extender plate on as well. thinking it might be pedals tried some keo’s today and same problem after a while so am presuming it is shoes so was thinking of trying specific ones. yes i know they aint cheap but will have to go back to mtb cleats otherwise i think

cheers in advance

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Try some different insoles? It’ll be a bit cheaper!

verticalclimber
    Free Member

have tried different insoles as well

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    fasthaggis

Have you tried it with the shoes not tightened right up?

verticalclimber
    Free Member

yep to point where feet go up and down in shoe as i push pull etc

zilog6128

I bought some speedplay-specific shoes (Lake CX331) along with my first proper road bike a month ago. I got the speedplay ones because there is less faff mounting the cleats (although I did read one web page where a guy was arguing that NON speedplay soles were better with speedplay cleats – something to do with greater adjustability maybe?). It took me a while to adjust the cleat position (I ended up having it almost as forward as it can go) and mould the carbon heel part but now they are very comfortable with no hotspots.

The only slight issue is that although the fit on my left foot is perfect my right foot is slightly bigger so maybe I could do with a size up on that foot. I’m not going to buy another pair of shoes though, so I just don’t do that one up as tight! I may try removing or getting a thinner insole though.

The shoes have a BOA closure which IMO you have to be careful with as it is easy to do them up too tight which then crushes the foot. Once you have moulded the shoe though you don’t have to do them up as much though as they retain the heel very well so it’s not an issue.

Of course shoes are like saddles in that what works for one person won’t necessarily work for another!

FuzzyWuzzy

Hmm can’t see really that speedplay drilling would help with hotspots, if anything it might be worse as the adapter plate spreads the pressure over a bigger area. What model shoe have you got? The cheaper Spesh ones give up a bit of stiffness in the sole but I would have thought all the carbon ones would still be stiff enough to avoid hotspots (I’ve only used the s-works ones myself though). I take it you’re already using the Spesh insoles which have the metatarsal button in them? If so not really sure what to suggest as you’ve also tried them whilst loose. Are they the first pair of shoes you’ve had that you’ve suffered with hotspots? Although I do like the s-works shoes the toe box is pretty narrow so can still squeeze the foot even with the boa’s undone – might be worth looking at shoes with wider toe boxes like Lake (some) or Bont.

traildog
    Free Member

As above, I really cannot see how a speedplay specificly drill shoe is going to help. The only way maybe is that it’s a different shoe and your current ones aren’t fitting you correctly.

I imagine the problem is due restricting bloodflow in some way, as people above mention. You mention pulling up when pedalling – perhaps this is the problem? Doing so will put pressure on the top of the foot where the bloodflow is and which isn’t really designed to take pressure. You should unweight your pedal, not pull up which is often falsely written as a clipless benefit.

MSP

Spesh shoes have a 1.5 degree tilt to them, meant to be good for most, but I really don’t get on with them. You can get some wedges to cancel it out (or increase the tilt).

Another option are sole footbeds, they are heat moldable. I would suggest either the signature DK response or the thin sport depending on how much room you have in your shoes. I put them in all my cycling shoes now, they really are excellent, but a little expensive.

http://www.yoursole.com/uk/footbeds/

verticalclimber
    Free Member

I too have problem where 1 foot is nearly half size bigger then other and its the bigger one thats the problem yet normally if my feet start to hurt after long ride its the right one but thats prob because i’m right footed so prob pushing bit harder with that unintentionally.
    have a set of 2012 pro road which are not the BOA ones but full fact carbon sole very stiff. yes to spesh inserts.
    when i say pulling up mean pedalling in circles so yes sort of pulling up but my ankling is quite good according to guy who did my bike fit last year so quite smooth.
    have plenty of room in shoe and not had hotspots for 10 years or more (mtb though).

think i’ll be phoning cadence performance today to see if they can help. didnt even know they were there and only live 6 miles away

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘speedplay shoes’ is closed to new replies.