Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Speedplay pedals users; advice please
  • Kiril
    Free Member

Ok so I’m about to spend an unjustifiably large amount on another road bike. At the moment I use candys on my road bikes and mallets on the mtb and I like them due to my knackered knees. My friends , bless them, reckon I should get proper road shoes and cleats. With my knees it would make sense to go speed play however how much difference would I notice? As I always thought the advantage of road pedals was the larger area but that’s not the case for speed play.

Thanks

spursn17
    Free Member

I got some Speedplay Zero’s when I had problems with knee pain, knees don’t hurt now.

Had them a few years and wouldn’t use any other road pedal. They take a bit of getting used to as there is so much float (with no resistance), persevere with them though as the clipping/unclipping is stiff at first but it does get better.

beinbhan

The speed play cleat that is mounted on the shoes gives a large support area I have been using them for a few years now and love the adjustability they are easy to maintain as well. If you do get them get cafe covers as well saves wear ant tear on the cleats and embarrassing cafe moments when you fall on your arse 😀

coatesy
    Free Member

Not used road version, but mtb jobbies have lots of rotational float, rather than the uncontrolled side to side slop of others. Using the grease-ports regularly is a good idea too.

Rorschach
    Free Member

You just have to think of speedplays as being the ‘wrong’ way round.Big metal cleat with the gubbins in and no moving parts on the small pedal.No issue with power transfer even on relatively flexible shoes.
    Best thing about them are being able to set up the amount and position of the float (which has no resistance to it) and being double sided.
    You do have to keep an eye on cleat wear as they start to develop a bit of ‘rocking’ play,which plays hell with my (already knackered) knees.

Kiril
    Free Member

Thanks that’s really helpful, it looks like speed play is the way to go.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Speedplay pedals users; advice please’ is closed to new replies.