Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • speeding..what points and fine?
  • oldgit
    Free Member

Guess doing 50 in a 40. Totally screwed up, got hassled by two boy racers whilst trying to find my off the Leeds ring road to York. So going to get a ticket.

PiknMix
    Free Member

You won’t get anymore than 3 points for that, I don’t know what the fine is these days though.

chip
    Free Member

Was three points and a £60 fine when i got flashed, was a long time ago though.

stumpy01

Might be a speed awareness course if you have no previous.

When I did my speed awareness course, there was someone there who’d got caught doing 38 in a 30.

jam-bo

I got a speed awareness course for 42 in a 30 so if you’ve not been on the course in the last three years they will probably offer it. £80 I think and half a day off work…

TheFlyingOx

It’s probably better just to pay the fine rather than losing half a day’s pay and £80 just to be preached at. I think you get the points either way. I’ve had 2 speeding fines in 18 years of driving, and neither time were my insurers bothered when I told them. I guess if you have more than one on your license at a time they might start paying attention.

oldgit
    Free Member

That sort of points and fine I’ll take it. Haven’t driven for weeks and rarely drive in other cities I don’t know. Kicking myself for being bullied. Assume the two cars were stolen the speed they went through.

jimmy748

3 points and £100 fine or if your lucky driver awareness course £80-£110 dependent on area

oldgit
    Free Member

No points for thirty years, so no way am I going on a course.

stumpy01

If you take the course you don’t get the points.

And when I did mine there were plenty of times to choose from including the one I chose that started at 5 or 6pm (can’t remember), so I didn’t have to take any time off work.

mrhoppy

The course is cheaper, you don’t get points and it doesn’t count as an endorsement for insurance. I was able to choose a range of days and times, did my course on a weekend so no time off work.

brooess
    Free Member

If you take the course you don’t get the points.

I still have no points after 20 years – cos I took the course when I was flashed 3 years ago.

I figured I already knew what I’d done wrong – 35 in a 30 limit but I learnt loads- some stuff I’d forgotten and some stuff I’d never known. tbh it’s well worth it. I’d quite like to see it as compulsory every 2 years rather than a re-test (maybe with a few facts about cyclists’ rights and needs thrown in for good measure!)

One tip I well remember is someone who’s tailgating ‘is just lonely, pity them’ or ‘aggressive drivers are just angry people who got out of bed angry and are taking out on you just at that moment. You can’t change them so best thing to do is just pull over and let them go’

Makes driving around idiots a lot less hassle

TheFlyingOx

Ah well. I stand corrected. Take the course then, and enjoy a points-free license.

anagallis_arvensis

Death by stw lynch mob hanging. No points.

rene59
    Free Member

3 points and the fixed penalty fine went up last year from £60 to £100.

mindmap3
    Free Member

This can’t be STW, surely it should have descended into comments about Audi drivers making progress and killing cats, small children and bring about the apocalypse?

On a serious note, the course isn’t too bad the guts who did mine weren’t too preachy and no one was a tool arguing with them. Part of me wishes I’d just taken the points because as company car driver it would have been cheaper.

MartynS

3 points and £100 or a course as has been said.
    I think the course is £80
    You are eligible for a course as long as you haven’t done one in the last 2 years.

How do you know you were done?? Flashed, or did you see a van somewhere?

MartynS

The course is cheaper, you don’t get points and it doesn’t count as an endorsement for insurance. I was able to choose a range of days and times, did my course on a weekend so no time off work.

Not true about endorsement for insurance. Some companies ask you if you’ve done a course. I think direct line is one

Harry_the_Spider

Too fast for a course I suspect (I should know, I’ve done a couple 😳 ). Points and a fine.

Admiral tried to bump my premium because [i]THEY[/i][/u] class it as an endorsement even though the law doesn’t. Told them they could stick their renewal up their arse… and they offered me a discount straight away.

iainc

The course trainers give you a suitable answer re direct line question

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

Scared you might learn something new?

mindmap3
    Free Member

Too fast for a course I suspect (I should know, I’ve done a couple ). Points and a fine.

He’ll be fine….I got done for 40 in a 30 and was just eligible.

Mine wasn’t in a built up area before the pitchforks come out but through average speed cameras through roadworks on the A453 out of Nottingham.

jota180
    Free Member

Up to 43 in a 30 and you’ll get the option of a course

I’ve recently had a letter 🙂

simmy
    Free Member

Pitchforks at the ready for Me as I’ve just applied to be a Trainer on these Speed Awareness courses.

Nonsense
    Free Member

You’re not an ex rat are you simmy? :-S

simmy
    Free Member

Nah, I’m a Driving Instructor who used to be a Boy Racer 😉

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Same here except 37 clean years! A moment of madness after I’d just robbed a bank & was doing 36 in a 30 at 06.45 on a Sunday morning. Insurance premium went down on my next renewal.
    BTW, It’s a £100 fine + 3 points or nil points a fee of about £90 (depending on area) if you do the course. So my stepson says as he’s just done one.

bamboo
    Free Member

I got to take the course when I was caught doing 57 in a 30 in my Audi s line

Jamie
    Free Member

OP, you are history’s greatest monster.

oliverd1981
    Free Member

You are eligible for a course as long as you haven’t done one in the last 2 years

And possibly even if you have done one in the last two years – just not in that jurisdiction…

chip
    Free Member

OP, you are history’s greatest monster.

Knocking vlad the impaler off the top spot to a close second.

I would take the course, as unless you are playing your cards right points don’t mean prizes.

jonnouk
    Free Member

The price of the course varies for the area. I can’t find the letter but it’s a 3year window for eligibility i thought.

Yeah, yeah. Flame away. 36 in a 30 early on a Saturday morning on an quiet a-road.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

[quoteNo points for thirty years, so no way am I going on a course.

Scared you might learn something new?
    [/quote]

My thoughts exactly. Everyone I’ve heard says the courses are well worth doing. I’m doing one soon. Should be good. ]

chunkymonkey
    Free Member

£100 fine now, the Mrs got caught in West Yorkshire (Queensbury near Bradford) and the course cost £75 at Wakefield.

Cougar

Eligibility is dependent on your local plod, they set the criteria as to what speeds qualify for the course.

Pretty sure it’s three years not two before you can do another, though I don’t know offhand if that’s also a local decision or nationwide policy.

molgrips
    Free Member

My course is booked for next weekend.

Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)

The topic ‘speeding..what points and fine?’ is closed to new replies.