Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 111 total)
  • Speeding ticket, advice
  • DT78
    Free Member

I certainly wouldn’t wish the officer dead, I’d rather someone would have a word with him about how what he is up to might be seen (by some not all) of the public as not really cricket, and it probably doesnt do the public image much good.

About time the traffic laws were reviewed rather than used as another taxation for the unobservatant driver who drifts over speed limits put in place decades ago

nealglover
    Free Member

You don’t think there should be some sort of crackdown on “unobservant drivers” then ?

Seems like a sensible thing to be sorting out really.

scaredypants

orangeboy – Member
    Speedos don’t always over read.
    My golf is doing about 78 on GPS when car says 70

(assuming GPS is accurate), I’m pretty certain that’s illegal. Don’t think the MOT actually tests accuracy so not sure how they’d ever “catch” you

chewkw
    Free Member

nealglover – Member
    You aren’t doing anything to prove me wrong that’s for sure.

I am not trying to prove you wrong. You have your reasons which is fine with me.

But what I am trying to say is you lot are screwed!

D’oh! I live here too so I am screwed as well … dammit … tight space, crowed country and petty bureaucrats … I am truly screwed. 😯

nealglover
    Free Member

I am not trying to prove you wrong.

Fine. If you are happy being an idiot, then that’s ok.

At least you are aware of it.

thegreatape
    Free Member

Thing is, for everyone that objects to the police catching speeders there’s someone else who thinks they don’t do it enough.

If you don’t believe me just pop along to a community council meeting.

DT78
    Free Member

I would rather drivers were watching the road and driving to conditions than having to focus on watching their speedo religiously in case someone is hiding in the bushes with a radar gun.

They may as well be done with all this crap and just put limiters in cars and automatically control limits. It’s perfectly possible. No personal freedoms breached, and no possibility to breach speed limits. That’ll make all the roads safer. But, no money for the police coffers

nealglover
    Free Member

(assuming GPS is accurate), I’m pretty certain that’s illegal.

Why would that be illegal ?

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

What! It’s illegal to have an inaccurate GPS??

No wonder I got lost!

thegreatape
    Free Member

I would rather drivers were watching the road and driving to conditions

In principle I agree, but in reality, how many people do you trust to judge the ever changing conditions correctly and then drive accordingly? That’s why there are defined speed limits.

chewkw
    Free Member

nealglover – Member

I am not trying to prove you wrong.
    Fine. If you are happy being an idiot, then that’s ok.
    At least you are aware of it

I will give you one suggestion about speed.

If you truly care about speed then propose to change Mph to KM/h and I can assure you the speed will go down tremendously.

🙄

edit:

thegreatape – Member
    In principle I agree, but in reality, how many people do you trust to judge the ever changing conditions correctly and then drive accordingly? That’s why there are defined speed limits.

You need to ask yourself this question … in reality how many people died on an empty road without involving other people?

thegreatape – Member
    If you don’t believe me just pop along to a community council meeting.

I have a friend that is so petty about everything he wants to dictate his way of living on others. i.e. anyone that does not fit his view of living should not be out of the house at all … that bad.

thegreatape
    Free Member

You need to ask yourself this question … in reality how many people died on an empty road without involving other people

Two crashes, in 2014, that I’ve been to, that were fatal and involved only one vehicle. That’s just in one small sub-division though – there might have been more in the rest of the country?

I have a friend that is so petty about everything he wants to dictate his way of living on others. i.e. anyone that does not fit his view of living should not be out of the house at all … that bad.

An ideal community council candidate by the sound of it 🙂

Tracker1972
    Free Member

I am just a little confused by the bit where you had to overtake him at that annoying speed of 70 mph. Is it safe to assume that after a couple of leap frogs you were going to drop him this time?
    You think you were speeding, he thinks you were speeding, his machine agrees… I agree that prevention is much better than straight enforcement but you knew you were going to be speeding to get past.

nealglover
    Free Member

I will give you one suggestion about speed.
    If you truly care about speed then propose to change Mph to KM/h and I can assure you the speed will go down tremendously.

I’m not that bothered about speed really, not sure where I said I was.

I’m more bothered about people not paying attention to what’s going on around them, like not seeing a radar trap and not knowing how fast they are going.

Oh, and idiots banging on on about zombie maggots and wishing police officers dead just for doing their job, obviously.

slowoldman

that will learn him

…teach him.

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

I got zapped for doing a massive 84mph on the M4 in the powerhouse that is a 54hp Fabia 1.2, on an otherwise unblemished licence.

Given I usually ride a 150hp Yamaha R1 for fun I sucked it up.

chewkw
    Free Member

thegreatape – Member
    Two crashes, in 2014, that I have personally had involvement with, that were fatal and involved only one vehicle. That’s just in one small sub-division though – there might have been more in the rest of the country?

Well, to be honest the time is up for that driver (a common expression in other culture where self inflicted/accidental death happens) but on the positive note at least no others were involved. This is a none issue.

thegreatape – Member

An ideal community council candidate by the sound of it [/quote]

If we get similar people like my friend and you multiply that all over the country … we are screwed. Absolutely. 😯

nealglover – Member
    Oh, and idiots banging on on about zombie maggots and wishing police officers dead just for doing their job, obviously.

Is there a loss in pettiness of petty power? 🙄

thegreatape
    Free Member

Well, to be honest the time is up for that driver (a common expression in other culture where self inflicted/accidental death happens) but on the positive note at least no others were involved. This is a none issue.

I can add up the fatal crashes since January where people going too fast killed someone else, if you want?

molgrips
    Free Member

I would rather drivers were watching the road and driving to conditions than having to focus on watching their speedo religiously in case someone is hiding in the bushes with a radar gun.

Worthless argument. If you have no idea what speed you’re going at without religiously watching the speedo you’re a shit driver.

It’s really not hard, don’t pretend it is.

Drac

You need to ask yourself this question … in reality how many people died on an empty road without involving other people?

I can think of half a dozen off the top of my head I’ve been to, I’d easily at least double that given sometime.

chewkw
    Free Member

thegreatape – Member

I can add up the fatal crashes since January where people going too fast killed someone else, if you want?

Nahh … I will get flamed all over if I apply other cultural thoughts on death. 😀

edit: I am referring to death by the driver him/herself and no others are involved. I mean like suddenly driving into a brick wall or something like that.

Drac – Moderator

I can think of half a dozen off the top of my head I’ve been to, I’d easily at least double that given sometime.

Like I said if the death does not cause other death other than the driver him/herself than that is a none issue.
    Get it?

molgrips
    Free Member

Are you saying that if someone dies by their own hand it’s okay?

thegreatape
    Free Member

I’m a little confused then as to why I needed to consider how many people died on an empty road without involving other people?

Is it ok for the police to do speed checks on cars that are not all alone – I.e. when others might be at risk?

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

Like I said if the death does not cause other death than that is a none issue.

to you morally and philosphically, possibly. In our society, and even from a cold economic perspective, it is an issue.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-15975564

http://www.theguardian.com/uk/2007/feb/26/transport.world

matt_outandabout

Speeding ticket, advice

Suck it up, sweet cheeks.

chewkw
    Free Member

molgrips – Member

Are you saying that if someone dies by their own hand it’s okay?

You mean suicide?

Assuming you are. If a person is determined then s/he will eventually achieve his/her goal so nothing you can do about it. It is just a matter of how the person will commit his/her own suicide.

Ya, it is a none issue for me.

crashtestmonkey – Member
    to you morally and philosphically, possibly. In our society, and even from a cold economic perspective, it is an issue.

Yes, I notice that.

Hence, you have rules all over that slowly creep into your space. I accept rules but the danger of rules in a run away zombie society is that rules have become an end by themselves.

😯

molgrips
    Free Member

You mean suicide?

No I mean crashing into a brick wall say, accidentally.

EDIT Gaaah.. what am I doing.. do not argue with chewkw..

chewkw
    Free Member

molgrips – Member

You mean suicide?

No I mean crashing into a brick wall say, accidentally.

Nahhh … shit happens so none issue.

Well, it actually happened to me I kid you not. I drove straight into my parents’ house/wall. I was supposed to brake but instead I stepped on the throttle. I was driving my uncle’s Mazda 323 in those days … well, the car was damage but not severely. The wall is still intact until today. 😯

Edit:

molgrips – Member

EDIT Gaaah.. what am I doing.. do not argue with chewkw..

Nahhh … don’t be silly who’s arguing? 😯

thegreatape
    Free Member

Did you bump your head, perchance?

chewkw
    Free Member

thegreatape – Member

Did you bump your head, perchance?

I got a scar on my head if that helps not from car but from a road/push bike if that helps. I fell and hit my head on a sharp metal bbq drum edge. Blood all over. Several stitches later back on the bike chased by dogs … 😆

Nope. Still compute. The processor is still functioning fine.

thegreatape
    Free Member

Sounds like there’s a good story there!

danrandon
    Free Member

I once got a ticket for doing 95 in a 40. Contested it as I was driving up hill my mums 1 litre metro. Rolling road proved max speed of car was only 80. Paid for the test to be done at MIRA to confirm the top speed.

So funny in court when it was thrown out, was only doing just over 40 according to the speedo

mikewsmith
    Free Member

having just re read the OP and skipped through cheekyw’s ramblings

So I’ll hold my had up and do the course, no point in disputing it. But the main thing that annoys me is the sneaky underhandedness of it. He would have had to put himself and others at risk to get in that spot running across 2 lanes to hide himself behind the barrier.

Anyone bothered to write a letter of complaint about this sort of behaviour?
    WTF! Complain about people doing their job? I must admit I have not seen the signs around the bank saying “Police catching bank robbers today” but I reckon if you pop in with a sawn-off and a balaclava they might pop round.

Drac

Like I said if the death does not cause other death other than the driver him/herself than that is a none issue. Get it?

Who said it didn’t?

Ermm! Got it?

hammyuk
    Free Member

Shit happens – what isn’t on is how the officer went about getting the readin.
    Your only “out” is how he took the measurement.
    Forget about calibration, etc because they WILL have that covered.
    You need to look at if he had it on a tripod – if he didn’t then legally the reading is VOID.
    It MUST be secured to prevent movement.
    They can ONLY use a tripod outside of a vehicle or the support that uses the door/windowframe inside the vehicle.
    They bend the rules massively on placement of camera vans, etc but the type approval for their use is very strict and is where the expensive lawyers get the tickets squashed.

Lifer
    Free Member

hammyuk – Member
    You need to look at if he had it on a tripod – if he didn’t then legally the reading is VOID.

Hmmmmmm, sounds like BS to me.

sbob
    Free Member

nealglover – Member

Why would that be illegal ?

C&U Regs.

thegreatape
    Free Member

They can ONLY use a tripod outside of a vehicle or the support that uses the door/windowframe inside the vehicle.
    They bend the rules massively on placement of camera vans, etc but the type approval for their use is very strict and is where the expensive lawyers get the tickets squashed.

Have you muddled up the rules/operating instructions for camera van equipment, which is very heavy, with those for hand held speed guns, which aren’t?

hammyuk
    Free Member

No – regulations and type approval are VERY clear on how the devices MUST be set up and used.
    Information is directly from several serving traffic officers who are also bikers.
    They do something similar here in Hants at one particular site and you will always see the device on a tripod after a solicitor caused a huge court case to do with correct signage, usage, etc. There were hundreds of prosecutions quashed and fines returned!
    It’s one of those areas where because the public are generally ignorant to the fine print they can pretty much do as they please until someone with either the right knowledge or access to the information questions it.

thegreatape
    Free Member

What’s the case that found they must be on a mount of some sort? I’d be interest to read it.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 111 total)

The topic ‘Speeding ticket, advice’ is closed to new replies.