• This topic has 83 replies, 51 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by akira.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 84 total)
  • Speed with Guy Martin
  • Harry_the_Spider

I’m liking Ron.

Shaping up to be a good one.

singlespeedstu

First time I’ve seen him without Fivetens on.

letmetalktomark

630kg leg press 😯

Harry_the_Spider

That prototype looks fantastically shed-built.

bigdean

Tea (bag) anyone?

bikebouy
    Free Member

Ahh, Ben and his foils.

Don’t really care if Guy does it, we’ve just had Ben on TV.

TheDTs
    Free Member

Thats quite some setup BAR have int it..

bikebouy
    Free Member

And they’ve just shown my Club with the foiling Moths.

Yay!!!

taxi25
    Free Member

Propeller !!! Way to much drag,how did anyone think that would work 🙁

bigdean

So at university you think you can transfer 1kw through 6mm of aluminium? You shear 8mm steel bolts clamping things to a milling bed (if your a testosterone fueled monkey with something to prove to your class mates).
    I’ve missed something Shirley.

zippykona

Never knew those little hydrofoil yachts existed. I want one.

bikebouy
    Free Member

We’ve got 32 at the club..

bikebouy
    Free Member

And now my old sailing club at Carsington Water…

Bloody hell.

wrightyson
    Free Member

Up in God’s country now!
    How many **** adverts btw!

allthepies
    Free Member

5 mins to go, he ain’t going to do it is he!

bigdaddy

That was a it lame in the end!

zippykona

Would they have been better cutting the hydro foils off?

Spin
    Free Member

Am I being thick or were they really 16mph short?

Harry_the_Spider

90 minutes later…

bikebouy
    Free Member

Next weeks looks good, 400mph on a motorbike.

Should let those nutters up in Rivington know eh Hora.

PrinceJohn

The last couple have been abject failures – both drawn out, would be better tv wrapped up in an hour. Next weeks looks good… fingers crossed.

MoreCashThanDash

Tonights was good, and not just because it finished up at Carsington, which is just down the road from the Pudding Room.

Last weeks was dire. Next weeks looks like a proper job again.

yetidave
    Free Member

both systems had way too much drag. I did think that a variable pitch prop may have worked better on the cat rather than that fan thing, which was great at moving air, but rubbish in the water. Moths are ace, if your very good.

reformedfatty
    Free Member

I just couldn’t fathom that at all. I don’t believe the lack of any CofG calculations pre prototype (hey guy, how much do you weigh, find a student who weighs about that).. equally, don’t believe about the oh my knees don’t fit, or the prop never having been tried in water.. or some maths to determine required power output.

zippykona

Are those moths the e bikes of yachting?

bikebouy
    Free Member

The beauty of foiling moths is that they are a development class, which means whilst it must fit in a virtual box, most everything else is free to develop. They get foiling in about 8knts if you are good and light, 10-12 for most others.
    If anyone remembers Moths of old, they were still a development class but like most boats based on displacement. Over the years the hulls became thinner and lighter, it was only a matter to time before foils came along and changed the class for good.
    Foils have been used in International 14’s for about 10-12 years, restricted to the rudder the main purpose is to keep the bow down and increase waterline length. Very successful in that too.

But the worlds changed now, for good or bad, it’s all about foiling.

Here’s a paddleboard foiling downwind, and some windsurfing too..

[video]https://youtu.be/9QfFRvd7H6I[/video]

[video]https://youtu.be/rfZGpC6UbBI[/video]

Plenty of coverage on YouTube..

yetidave
    Free Member

Are those moths the e bikes of yachting?

no, those Moths are the unicycles on drugs of yachting. 😀

yetidave
    Free Member

that first vid is awesome.

reformedfatty
    Free Member

In other rants, I know Guy is rarely seen without 5 tens on, but it was getting verrry product placement yesterday e.g. shots of just his cast off 5 tens after he changed into SPDs, similarly the shots of hope bits..

tthew

How the hell did they ever think he’d balance it on those two central foils, even if he did get it out of the water?

Everything in this series just seems a bit of a rush job, without the development/scientific effort really put in. I reckon the soap-box or sledge team might have got it to work.

The BAR America’s Cup yacht and that section was awesome though. Some serious sponsorship money going on there!

BobaFatt
    Free Member

In other rants, I know Guy is rarely seen without 5 tens on, but it was getting verrry product placement yesterday e.g. shots of just his cast off 5 tens after he changed into SPDs, similarly the shots of hope bits..

Is it really a bad thing? or should he take a diet coke break instead??

mrhoppy

They do need to put speed in inverted commas this series. And this series just feels lacking in information, they used to show more of the construction and training, this feels a bit empty. Guy turns up and here’s one we worked on earlier, tea … boss … tea … boss, hope, 5:10, heads home, repeat and fail. I don’t know whether it’s that the challenges are less interesting or whether it’s that Guys profile has increased and he has less time but this struggles to hold attention.

ScottChegg
    Free Member

It’s called ‘Speed’ and he did 5mph.

How fast would a top class kayaker manage? Or a Steve Redgrave? He was quiet nippy on the water.

DezB
    Free Member

It’s called ‘Speed’ and he did 5mph.
    (Stolen from another thread)

thenorthwind –
    .. if you’re being pedantic, is a speed, just not a very high one.

Yak

A bit disappointing. The annoying thing about this one is that you’d feel fairly certain that the BAR lot could knock one up that would work in an afternoon. I know that’s not the sprit of the programme, but we get introduced to them, Guy goes out in Ben’s awesome boat, we see some Moths going at bonkers speed, and then…….. disappointment.

sharkbait
    Free Member

The annoying thing about this one is that you’d feel fairly certain that the BAR lot could knock one up that would work in an afternoon.

Unfortunately the hulls that BAR are using are pretty much one-design and made in New Zealand IIRC – they’ll not be doing much building themselves.

stilltortoise
    Free Member

Did anyone else think they could have gone faster in a pedalo? 😆

Entertaining, but that seemed like a lot of effort for only 5mph.

wwaswas

he does give a good quote, doesn’t he.

mrhoppy

How fast would a top class kayaker manage?

I’m far from a top class kayaker and could hold an average of 5mph for a good while in my sea boat. I use 3.5mph as my average over whole days including looking in caves, playing round rocks, etc.

Liam heath did the 200m in Rio in 35.2s which is approx 12.5-13mph. Seb Brendel won 1km in under 3.57.

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

I remember a Tomorrows World or Record Breakers or something yyyearrs ago with a pedal powered hydrofoil

iirc the only way they could get the drag v power ratio correct was to use a tandem arrangement with two people back-to-back, incredibly narrow smooth hull with one minimalist foil (not all that metal stuff dragging in the water!), streamlined prop in the water not the air, and a tiny rudder.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 84 total)

The topic ‘Speed with Guy Martin’ is closed to new replies.