Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Speed trackers for cyclists
  • radtad16
    Free Member

Hey guys

So I have been looking on the market for a speed tracker. I know you can buy GPS devices to attach to your bike that indeed have speed trackers… but no really what I am after… plus devices such as Garmin are quite pricey to be fair….good if you want all the features and maps etc but I don’t. I am going to convert my geared raleigh to a single speed bike and really just want the speed tracker as I am curious as to how my speed performance will be as never really rode a single speed bike and anyways just adds to the fun! If any one has any good suggestions on speed trackers and even some experience of riding on single speed bikes, it would be great to hear from you! Thanks!

eskay

Would an app like Strava on your phone do what you want?

drofluf
    Free Member

Google for “cycle Computer” you’ll find something suitable for your budget.

Regarding singlespeeding. It will immediately make you, wittier, more charming and 5000% more attractive to your preferred sex.

And remember you actually have 4 speeds not 1: sit, stand, push and puke.

antigee

drofluf ….

And remember you actually have 4 speeds not 1: sit, stand, push and puke.

modestly you omitted a 5th: awesome

as to the OP in keeping with simplicity – move pebbles from one pocket to another guessing 10minute intervals using the sun plus count how many times you see the front valve (assuming have one) pass the forks and buy a slide rule = job done

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Simply write down the time you leave and the number of wheel revolutions then when you get back you can calculate your speed 😉
    Or strava on your phone

Muke
    Free Member

A cheap computer/wheel magnet set up will do what you want. Don’t judge Single speeding just by speed though, in some situations its faster in others it’s not. You tend to ride differently using SS. Momentum is your friend and so you tend to brake less to maintain speed and it will make you fitter as you will move about on the bike a lot more instead of just sitting there spinning away in an easy gear.
    Also if it’s your only bike I found that what works SS off road is not so good on the road so I have a bike for each.It’s not for everyone but unless you give it a go you’ll never Know.

radtad16
    Free Member

Oh some witty posts.hahaha …well joking aside ….

Strava sounds interesting… although my smart phone is on the brink… but something worth checking out it seems and the computer/wheel magnet… yeah i guess it is about momentum…

cheers!

epicyclo

Muke – Member
    …Also if it’s your only bike I found that what works SS off road is not so good on the road so I have a bike for each. It’s for everyone but unless you give it a go you’ll never Know.

That’s very true. I was going for a long road ride so I thought maybe the saddle from the bike I do 24 hour mtb rides on would be a good choice.

Agony after 50 miles and still another 90 to go. I’ll not forget that lesson in a hurry.

Offroad you don’t spend much time in the saddle while on road most of your time is spent spinning away.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

There was a time when this really was all you could get for tracking your training!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/152063900176

That or a map and a stopwatch.

£2.65, it’ll probably die pretty quickly, but it’ll do what you want. Or get one from cateye, sigma or another brand which will last a bit longer and still be <£10.

Just check the km/mile conversion in the instructions, I know my last one didn’t actually convert anything when you selected m/h rather than km/h, just changed the units on the display, made me think I was superman doing 25+mph road rides, when the reality was I was supposed to divide the wheel dimaeter by 1.6!

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

The Lidl in Shirley SO15 had a load of wireless odometers in stock yesterday, plus other cycling bits, for not more than literally a couple of squids or so.

radtad16
    Free Member

[/quote]There was a time when this really was all you could get for tracking your training!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/152063900176

That or a map and a stopwatch.

£2.65, it’ll probably die pretty quickly, but it’ll do what you want. Or get one from cateye, sigma or another brand which will last a bit longer and still be <£10.

Just check the km/mile conversion in the instructions, I know my last one didn’t actually convert anything when you selected m/h rather than km/h, just changed the units on the display, made me think I was superman doing 25+mph road rides, when the reality was I was supposed to divide the wheel dimaeter by 1.6!

Thanks for that… will check it out although doesnt seem that reliable if you had some issues with it .. but will check it out all the same!

radtad16
    Free Member

The Lidl in Shirley SO15 had a load of wireless odometers in stock yesterday, plus other cycling bits, for not more than literally a couple of squids or so.

Hey thanks for tip although no where near shirley! live in dublin! but can check in there… cheers

akira

You might be able to pick up second hand Garmin 200 for not huge amount of money. Cat eye do a GPS computer that’s bit cheaper than a Garmin.

radtad16
    Free Member

Hey guys

So I have been looking on the market for a speed tracker. I know you can buy GPS devices to attach to your bike that indeed have speed trackers… but no really what I am after… plus devices such as Garmin are quite pricey to be fair….good if you want all the features and maps etc but I don’t. I am going to convert my geared raleigh to a single speed bike and really just want the speed tracker as I am curious as to how my speed performance will be as never really rode a single speed bike and anyways just adds to the fun! If any one has any good suggestions on speed trackers and even some experience of riding on single speed bikes, it would be great to hear from you! Thanks!

Hey guys so I am at the end of my search for a speed tracker and I think I may have come out trumps ! haha! I have researched alot as come on technology is varied and vast and I thought there has to be some better options than some crashing apps on my crap phone and some 2.99 thing that wont last. Some peoples suggestions didnt give me much hope considering the speed didnt track accurately work with some. So upon my final search I came across a speed tracker called suunto ambit2 for sale it actually acts a GPS for runners too and tracks heart rate which I thought was cool, but also has a reliable speed tracker feature. I love this because you can wear it as watch and very handy and wont fall of a mount on bike etc. pricey but i like the features! best pic of device i found …

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Speed trackers for cyclists’ is closed to new replies.