Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Speed Sight Seeing – Hong Kong
  • ac505
    Free Member

Upcoming business trip and I have an afternoon free up until around 8.30pm to check out Hong Kong. Never been before so appreciate any suggestions on what to do, places to see. Suggestions received so far are: go to the peak, have a stroll through SOHO and continue down to Lan Kwai Fong.

PlopNofear
    Free Member

Yep, SOHO and Central are good places to walk around. Tsim Sha Tsui water front is good, get to see that Hong Kong skyline. Could visit Sky100 the tallest building in HK, get a good view if the weather is nice.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I end up doing a few of these sort of things, my only general tips are pick 1 or 2 things close to each other and maybe something quirky/offbeat

enfht
    Free Member

Wan Chai titty bars.

perthmtb
    Free Member

You’re on a mountain biking forum, so forget the usual tourist treadmill (yes, including the titty bars in Wanchai) and GO MOUNTAIN BIKING!

Read this then ignore everything it says and get in touch with Steve at Cross Country HK who will sort you out with a ride. Best time of year to be doing it too!

Harry_the_Spider

I booked myself on a tour that lasted half a day. Victoria Peak, Aberdeen Typhoon Shelter, Stanley Market. It was good, until the food poisoning that I picked up in some god forsaken shithole 2 hours drive from Qingdao kicked in. I suspect that they had to encase the toilets at Victoria in a concrete sarcophagus after I’d paid them a visit.

stewartc
    Free Member

+1 for PerthMTB (incidentally, Perth this weekend, anywhere to MTB?)
    If Steve is not available I have a spare bike and am near the Airport.

If not riding try this compact trip suggestion:
    1. Catch the ferry across Victoria Harbor from TST to Central ferry Terminal
    2. Walk through Central to the Peak tram
    3. Get the Peak Tram up to top
    4. To to the top of the Peak and take some pics of HK below (classic shot)
    5. Walk down the morning trail into the mid-levels, have a beer or two
    6. If your near the Harbour at 8pm, go watch the light and laser show

The HK Express train at HK MTR Station should get you into the airport in 20 minutes.

That should keep you busy, if you want to see, do or eat anything specific let me know, HK local.

ac505
    Free Member

brilliant, thanks everybody. Although I’d love to, I’m travelling light, so no space for any biking stuff. Looking forward to it!

perthmtb
    Free Member

(incidentally, Perth this weekend, anywhere to MTB?)

Absolutely – get yourself up to the Kalamunda Circuit, about 45mins drive due east of the city, park at the Camel Farm (yes they really do have camels you can ride) rent a bike there and grab a trail map, and enjoy about 50k of great singletrack.

Would offer to show you round but I’m off the bike at the mo with an injury.

Enjoy!

stewartc
    Free Member

Cheers PerthMTB, unless my boss has a BBQ planned for Sunday I may well do that

AlexSimon

I’m in Hong Kong next week too, so I’ve just contacted Steve at Cross Country HK.
    I should have a couple of days free.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Nice suggestions here. Don’t miss Wan Chai though! Amazonia for ice cold beer and excellent rock music from the house band, Icebox. Plus, watching all the fools getting duped by the hookers!

A wander down from the Peak through Soho is lovely. Some great food too.

For last minute food before going to the airport, Isola or Red at the IFC are nice.

iain1775
    Free Member

If not riding try this compact trip suggestion:
    1. Catch the ferry across Victoria Harbor from TST to Central ferry Terminal
    2. Walk through Central to the Peak tram
    3. Get the Peak Tram up to top
    4. To to the top of the Peak and take some pics of HK below (classic shot)
    5. Walk down the morning trail into the mid-levels, have a beer or two
    6. If your near the Harbour at 8pm, go watch the light and laser show

The HK Express train at HK MTR Station should get you into the airport in 20 minutes.

pretty much this, but itf there is a queue for the tram up to Peak I’d give it a miss nip back to TST and go up Sky100 instead, definately worth doing the ferry ride though, great harbour views

Another massive +1 for Steve at Cross Country HK, lovely bloke, very knowledgeable and took me on a great ride round one of the country parks

AlexSimon

Booked for next Friday with Steve. A bit pricey for a 20k ride, but I’m sure it’ll be memorable. Lantau apparently.
    Fingers crossed for a smog-free day!

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Speed Sight Seeing – Hong Kong’ is closed to new replies.