Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Speed limit for tyres ? Genuine question
  • simmy
    Free Member

I will probably get ripped apart for this but genuine question do Bike Tyres have a Speed or Load rating like Car tyres.

I’ve heard of pros getting upto 70 mph, the fastest I’ve been is 43 mph on the MTB so just wondered ?

bencooper
    Free Member

Not officially, as they don’t have to have Type Approval – I got into a big argument with an idiot at the DfT about electric bikes because he thought they all had to have type-approved tyres like mopeds.

bland

I had a specialized one delaminate at over 50 coming down from windy hill and it kept catching on the forks on the road bike, cacked myself

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    ampthill

My hunch would be that bike tyres don’t build up heat in the same way at speed

jimthelad
    Free Member

I once read about the guys doing drafted speed records on the salt flats, hitting 150+mph. They had to use tyres that had been made specially for high speed solar cars IIRC. This was due to normal bikes tyres de-laminating.

johnners
    Free Member

I got into a big argument with an idiot at the DfT about electric bikes because he thought they all had to have type-approved tyres like mopeds

Why would it be so idiotic if they did?

Edric64
    Free Member

Because lecy bikes are only made to do 15mph ,ie half sloped speed

johnners
    Free Member

Oh, I thought they were quicker than that. Not that an old lady’s ever overtaken me on one, no sir, definitely not!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Speed limit for tyres ? Genuine question’ is closed to new replies.