Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • speed difference between a 28 road tyre and a 32 touring one ?
  • iainc

just getting the Jake the Snake into winter mode and tucking up the good road bike. Most of my winter rides will be poorish country lanes and a few decent road sections and up to around 30 miles. Current setup has Spesh Borough 32’s which are good for riding round the windfarm with the kids, touring etc, however I do have a pair of 28c Gatorskins that I could stick on – wondering how much it would speed up/ease the road sections. tempted to stick with the Boroughs as ‘fit and forget’ right enough…

drofluf
    Free Member

Don’t know either tyre but any speed differences are more likely to be due to tread pattern, rubber compound and pressure than width. And of course as Gatorskins are known to be vulnerable to punctures (lights blue touch paper and runs away :)) if they have a speed gain it will be lost by time spent fixing flats 😀

scaredypants

at a guess…
    aerodynamically, virtually nothing unless you’re averaging 25mph or so

rolling-wise, maybe the bigger ones will actually be better if your roads are shit (I bet they’d be better than a 23, but 28 is already quite big)

iainc

Thanks. Think will stick with the Boroughs then. Cheers

mugsys_m8

4mm 😆

mugsys_m8

d’oh ok he said ‘speed difference’. Now I look pedantic AND stupid…

iainc

Lol @ mugsys 🙂

lazybike
    Free Member

I rode a club TT on my caadx with 28c 4 seasons, and was 15secs slower than my road bike… 🙂

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘speed difference between a 28 road tyre and a 32 touring one ?’ is closed to new replies.