Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • speed camera markings
  • jag61

Mrs G managed to set off a camera last night. seems to be my fault as I mentioned that as there were no road markings at that set due to surface dressing they could not enforce camera for the unmarked period. Is this my fault for talking blx or is she going to get a letter soon? These markings have to be installed by certificated firms locally( wakefield) so hoping for best.anyone know for sure?

bikebouy
    Free Member

No idea, but for sure there are a lot of cameras WITHOUT these line markers around these days..

molgrips
    Free Member

Wait, she deliberately sped because she thought she wasn’t going to get caught?

bearnecessities

anyone know for sure

No, but my opinion as an experienced bureaucratic zombie maggot, is that if was a gatso or such-like that uses road markings (therefore would set off a visible flash), nowt will happen.

Cougar

Is this my fault for talking blx

No. You were talking bollocks (the lines are a visual aid / deterrent and unnecessary for securing a conviction), but it’s her fault for driving too fast.

jag61

@Moly NO NO NO how very dare you mrs g didnt/wouldnt do that or so im told, she is just really p….d off for doing it and apologises to all of the baby robins just wait and see i guess 🙄 FWIW these sets used to have the full set of 100mm lines can still see shadow under new surface.am amazed shes not been caught out before now 👿

bearnecessities

Oh, I’ll bite, but why do you have to post on every driving thread about how awesome not only your driving is, but your encyclopedic knowledge on driving?!

You do also post some funny stuff. (-:

the lines are a visual aid / deterrent

Are you totally sure on that, ‘cos it sounds like blx to me!

EDIT: Whilst not the regs, a quick google suggests:

It is a legal requirement to have a secondary measurement for speed. This is why at every Gatso speed camera location there are white lines painted on the road.

Cougar

Got the link for that?

I’m not totally sure, no. To the best of my knowledge, the lines are there to back up the reading by the camera on a photograph. I answered based on what I knew (or thought I knew, perhaps) rather than Google. Happy to be proved wrong.

why do you have to post on every driving thread about how awesome not only your driving is, but your encyclopedic knowledge on driving?!

I’ve never professed to be awesome or encyclopedic. I’ll claim to be above average, but that’s because ‘average’ is bloody awful.

johnnywhitesox
    Free Member

i think the Gatso uses the markers because it takes two pics at a set time interval (hence the two flashes) and therefore could by comparing the two pics and distance travelled across the markers to calibrate accurately the speed travelled. therefore no markers no speed can be accurately measured. That’s why they sometimes put them on both carriageways so that you don’t cheat and swerve over to the other side of the road to a avoid the markers.
    I think the Truvelo with the red lenses that point at you work differently and don’t need the White markers.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

But not all cameras are gatso’s, handheld radar guns or vans for example?

They all use some sort of distance measure to get your speed, the pbotos are just the proof.

aracer
    Free Member

Though there’s a catch. If the markings were there before then they already have a reference pic with the markings on. That can be superimposed on any pics after the markings have been covered over and used to calibrate in exactly the same way as if the markings were still there.

IIRC in some cases markings were only put down temporarily in order to obtain reference photos.

ChubbyBlokeInLycra
    Free Member

IANAL but I believe that the markings were a requirement to prove your speed when radar calculations were less reliable than now. Today’s machines are more reliable so markings not required where more up to date weaponry is used. I think most road markings are there now because there used to be an older camera there.

rickmeister

Set them off with gay abandon and no fear of prosecution.

Drive towards one that’s facing you and set it off. (Making sure it’s the grey box gatso)
    It will take a picture, but by the time it takes the second one, your past it.

One picture, no speed can be calculated, no prosecution.

Drac

Gatso use lines Truvelo use road sensors both only go off if you’re over the limit.

I see Chubby has edited his post about the calibration part. 😆

slowoldgit
    Free Member

So how long do we have to wait to hear if Mrs G got done and hubby is in the doghouse?

aracer
    Free Member

14 days normally

johnnywhitesox
    Free Member

They have just finished upgrading the M6 at Walsall and all have rear pointing gatso cameras and all lanes are marked. Cameras flash twice.

Cougar

Gatso does not “use” lines. BN was probably right about it being a requirement though, guess I was conflating the two.

Here. http://www.speedcamerasuk.com/gatso.htm

mrchrispy

lol – she sets of a camera and it’d your fault

are we married to the same woman?

rickmeister

Jag61….

Do the right thing and offer to take any points awarded for her….

cloudnine
    Free Member

How much were you talking before the camera?.. She should be able to go on the bollocks awareness course..

Drac

Gatso does not “use” lines. BN was probably right about it being a requirement though, guess I was conflating the two.

Yes that’s right. They use the white lines as the secondary measure where as Travel use road sensors.

globalti
    Free Member

i think the Gatso uses the markers because it takes two pics at a set time interval (hence the two flashes) and therefore could by comparing the two pics and distance travelled across the markers to calibrate accurately the speed travelled. therefore no markers no speed can be accurately measured. That’s why they sometimes put them on both carriageways so that you don’t cheat and swerve over to the other side of the road to a avoid the markers.

This is right. Without that calibration lines they won’t bother prosecuting, even assuming the camera is working, which most aren’t nowadays because the deterrent works pretty well and the operators can eat more doughnuts and not bother going out to do the maintenance.

ANPR is doing all the Policing now.

Drac

They self calibrate.

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

Drive towards one that’s facing you and set it off. (Making sure it’s the grey box gatso)
    It will take a picture, but by the time it takes the second one, your past it.

Office geeks calculated you’d need to be doing around 150 + to be going fast enough not to be caught with the second picture.

crankboy
    Free Member

I am not going to do the necessary research to answer this accurately unless you pay me but the lines are not to measure speed for the purposes of prosecution the camera does that by the radar sensor the lines and the two images are to double check the speed if you dispute the sensor reading . So you need to establish whether or not this is a legal requirement (such as colour and spacing of yellow lines) or a favour such as the policy of not prosecuting marginal speeding’s or opls.
    Pretty sure the actual functioning/operating calibration is independent of the lines too.

Gut reaction is that the successful prosecution is not dependent on the lines.(no liability accepted for this advise)

Solo
    Free Member

jag61 – Member Mrs G
    And
    seems to be my fault 

Is all you need to know.

(BTW, Shouldn’t that be Mrs ‘J’ ?)

Solo
    Free Member

I’m bemused at speculation regarding conventional Gatso operation. The camera only has to control the time between 1st and 2nd photo. Road markings record distance travelled during the period of time between 1st and 2nd photo. Simple enough, usually, to be reliable and repeatable.

OP, do not take the points,if any are awarded, for her. That would land you in a lot more trouble.

crankboy
    Free Member

“Gatso speed cameras use radar technology to measure how fast a vehicle is traveling.” The second photo and road marking provide a visual confirmation of the radar measured speed ,the issue is whether the absence of that second confirmation is fatal to a prosecution.

rickmeister

Office geeks calculated you’d need to be doing around 150 + to be going fast enough not to be caught with the second picture.

Correct if your going in the same direction so that it would photograph your rear plate.

However, drive toward it, as into the lens / flash, not in the same direction its pointing and you will have passed it before it takes picture number 2

cheekyboy
    Free Member

If you set off a gatso you can try reversing back past the camera faster than you went past it going forward, this will erase the first two pictures.

aracer
    Free Member

If you’re driving towards it you won’t set it off. They’re not quite that stupid.

chrissyboy
    Free Member

rickmeister » However, drive toward it, as into the lens / flash, not in the same direction its pointing and you will have passed it before it takes picture number 2
    If you’re driving towards it you won’t set it off. They’re not quite that stupid.

I’ve set a few off driving towards them on the A68/A1 up towards Scotlandshire. It seems they really are that stupid. You don’t even need to be on the ‘wrong’ side of the road, although it helps. And no, didn’t get a ticket off them.

Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)

The topic ‘speed camera markings’ is closed to new replies.