• This topic has 20 replies, 19 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by Marge.
Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Speed bumps for cyclists
  • aracer
    Free Member

Kind of surprised nobody else seems to have spotted this article, linked from one there is already a thread on:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/6228208/Speed-bumps-for-cyclists-introduced.html

What a wonderful idea that is 🙄

Kahurangi

Must be because of all those children the speeding cyclists have killed.

3000 well spent pounds to irritate those EVIL LYCRA LOUTS 👿

Brilliant, they’ll have some kind of bunnyhop prevention device to spent money on soon too.

Northwind

Those look fun. Took me a while to learn to jump my road bike but it’s well worth the effort

user-removed
    Free Member

Okay, wait. There’s a perfectly good off road alternative running parallel to pensioners’ parkway?

The only alternative to travelling over the bumps in Douglas Road, Islington, is for cyclists to use a windy dark path next to a canal that runs parallel.

Old folk aren’t able to leap confusedly out of your Strava runway when you ring your bell / run your Hope freewheel backwards. Poor old souls can only shuffle.

Fair dos I’d say but yes – bunny hop alley.

deadkenny
    Free Member

Article is 5 years old. I wonder if they still exist. Still, great fun by the look of it 😀

“and one of my grandchildren even got knocked down by one.”

Hmm, yeah I bet. Probably twisted truth from “nearly got knocked down by one” or more likely “might get knocked down by one”.

That said, if the bumps got put in by the council they must have had an incident reported to them. Nice to see they spent the time and money on a waste like this than actually bother trying to solve bike thefts or prosecute drivers who run over cyclists.

spooky_b329

Wonder why they didn’t just install them across 50% of the path so cyclists didn’t ride close to the entrances but on the far side instead?!

Solo
    Free Member

😕

Stoner
    Free Member

I cant wait for some bilious pensioner to trip on them….

5 years ago?
    There must be a Strava segment there by now. Anyone got the link?

Stoner
    Free Member

anyway, looks like theyve taken the easy route and just banned cycling since that article. 🙁

Klunk
    Free Member

those google pics could have been taken 5 yrs ago 🙂

wwaswas

Google street view suggests they’ve gone.

ndthornton
    Free Member

That looks like a great place to tune the damping settings on my Fox 36

cookeaa

Meh…

so it’s a rat run down an alleyway not an actual road or official cycle lane then?
    TBH Given the location, safety for Pedestrian users should actually take precedence over cyclist saving a few seconds on their journey IMO…

FFS Whining about a few speed bumps being used to try and prevent Granny’s getting injured your as bad as the Tin box Brigade…

anyway, looks like theyve taken the easy route and just banned cycling since that article.

If that’s the case then it teaches them for complaining, they’ve lost their right of way altogether…

tomcanbefound
    Free Member

Free pump track? Yay!

JAG

I prefer this bit of entrepreneurship…

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/howaboutthat/5821953/German-brothel-offers-discounts-to-cyclists.html

…and only £70 for 45 minutes minus our discount 8)

whippersnapper
    Free Member

I can confirm the speed bumps have gone and cycling is not allowed there, I may or may not have cycled down it a few weeks ago. In a way some of prevention there was understandable, people’s front/back doors come out on to the alleyway and some people on bikes really don’t seem to think about where is good or not to go fast.

plumber
    Free Member

Its the age old problem of London bikers believing they have a right to be a knob

Same as London car drivers and London pedestrians and London taxi drivers etc

There seems to be a general consensus that however you are making your way around town it the only way to do it and **** everyone else

It happens all day every day and wont stop any time soon

I love it here actually, never a dull moment 🙂

igm

We have some by the millennium bridge in York.

Smooth ones good for practicing your pump technique a little.

Marge
    Free Member

[img]https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Bws–gaIYAA6wH_.jpg[/img]

We have the same thing in Belgium

They introduced rumble strips every couple of km’s alongside the Schelde towpath, to slow the ‘crazy cyclists’ down.
    Must have been effective as Alan Peiper reported the secret to the success of the BMC World Team Trial Team was training on this same stretch of asphalt. (their base is in my village)

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Speed bumps for cyclists’ is closed to new replies.