Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 55 total)
  • Speed awareness course tomorrow
  • rascal
    Free Member

What can I expect…other than to feel like a very naughty boy?

whitestone
    Free Member

You aren’t made to feel like a naughty boy, at least on the one I went on. Go in with an open mind and you should learn techniques to avoid getting caught again.

jsync

They are actually quite informative, my experience is educational rather than judgemental.

Jamie
    Free Member

Mine had fancy sparkling water and all the mint humbugs I could fit in my pockets.

kayla1
    Free Member

They’re very good but be prepared to be utterly dismayed by the sheer stupidity and closed-mindedness of 50% of the other people there… 😯

slackboy

Go willing to learn something and you’ll find it really useful. I did one years ago when it was a full day and the 2nd half was practical/driving coaching. Shame they don’t do that anymore because it really reinforced the messages and techniques from the classroom session.

80% of the people there will be in denial that they have done anything wrong.

philxx1975
    Free Member

Just don’t fall for any of that bobbins they will try to preach to you about going fast won’t get you there quicker

This is a law of physics , no matter what they try and tell you.

Jamie
    Free Member

As an aside, a fun game to play while you’re waiting to go in, is to see if you can guess the nob who will argue….

Every. Single. Point.

…with the course leader.

simmy
    Free Member

Slight hijack but I’m just wondering how long it takes from sending back the Notice of Intended Prosecution to being offered a course ?

Asking for a friend, seriously, who got a NIP 2 weeks ago and returned it immediately,

cynic-al
    Free Member

be prepared to be utterly dismayed by the sheer stupidity and closed-mindedness of 50% of the other people there

Go in with an open mind and you should learn techniques to avoid getting caught again.

And

Just don’t fall for any of that bobbins they will try to preach to you about going fast won’t get you there quicker

himupstairs

Go in with an open mind and you should learn techniques to avoid getting caught again.

I can think of a very obvious one…

nwill1
    Free Member

Very interesting…I enjoyed mine and still think back to it often.

About 18 months ago.

To be fair the guy delivering the course had a hostile audience initially but did a good job of winning the room around.

slowoldman

sheer stupidity and closed-mindedness of 50% of the other people there…

It’s that magic 50% figure again!

CountZero

Very interesting…I enjoyed mine and still think back to it often.

Oddly enough, I only think of mine when the subject comes up, like now.
    One thing I did learn, was why they put a speed camera on a dual carriageway before it was even open, and why said dual carriageway had a 50 limit instead of 70.

aracer
    Free Member

Are you going to tell us then?

sbob
    Free Member

slackboy – Member

80% of the people there will be in denial that they have done anything wrong.

What did you do wrong?

pondo

I sped to get mine, unfamiliar road and never saw the camera, missed the signs and flashed at 37 in a 30. Went in with an open mind and enjoyed it, I even think I might be a slightly less dangerous driver as a result.

Big percentage of people in the room with me were idiots.

Wookster

You know what, it’s not that bad, you’ll learn ( or re-learn ) some stuff, realise the consequences of what can happen if you do have a speed related accident.

There will defo be more than one person who’s been “wronged” by the system for sure!! It was a bit of an eye opener from the exec bloke to the church going Hyasyenth Bucket type who was full of Venom for getting a ticket!!

Me, well I wasn’t concentrating on my speed and drive too fast so fair cop, I deserved to be pulled up!

Xylene
    Free Member

During the coffee break at my one, war stories were being shared, most people were arguing that they had been caught unfairly, in fact all of them were if I recall correctly.

As they turned to me to hear my speeding story I said “Like the rest of you I was driving like a …… ” and went back to wait for the thing to start. Oddly enough, nobody spoke to me again after that, no lasting friendships were made.

I will admit the actual thing was shit, but that was more the presenters than anything else. I have friends and family who have attended ones which they felt were very good, because of the quality of the presenters.

batfink
    Free Member

I will admit the actual thing was shit, but that was more the presenters than anything else. I have friends and family who have attended ones which they felt were very good, because of the quality of the presenters.

This was my experience too….. the presenter was about 70, and couldn’t be more condescending if she tried. She was unable to explain even basic concepts clearly – and threatened to “expel” anyone that appeared to disagree with her (ie: by asking a question).

I sat at the back an said nothing for the whole 4 hours, which dragged like an eternity – in that respect, it was an excellent punishment.

kerley
    Free Member

I enjoyed mine. 2 very good instructors who added a good level of humour.

Why did I need to go? Drove happily towards a camera van that I knew was there driving at 35 as I thought the road was a 40 not a 30 ! So I learnt something about repeaters signs, lamp post spacing etc,….

jekkyl

you will be able to view a large variety of neck tattoos.

robbo167
    Free Member

It might make you think about what led you to being caught…in my case I realised the delivery van I was driving was now being loaded to the vans wieght limit rather than what was doable in the allocated hours..told the boss that I was going to get caught again and/or have an accident..neither which I felt was responsible or sustainable…he didn’t agree and I walked…kept in contact with other drivers and routes/drops have now got even bigger!

Sandwich

Don’t forget they have to make it simple for the hard of thinking segment who are there because they did nothing wrong.

Jamie
    Free Member

you will be able to view a large variety of neck tattoos

My course had a very disparate make up of people. More elderly biddies than anything.

They may have had neck tats. Couldn’t see due to scarves.

matt_outandabout

sheer stupidity and closed-mindedness of 50% of the other people there..

Sadly, that won’t include the absolute tool in the silver peugeot who was using the 30mph zones in villages yesterday as the opportunity to overtake the massive, continual line of traffic on bank holiday yesterday. 👿

gobuchul
    Free Member

I did one a few years ago.

The instructor was completely anti cyclist, almost to the point of “they don’t pay any road tax”. Plenty of agreement from the within the group as well.

Bellends the lot of them.

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

The only time I ever got caught speeding was when I was a copper …. and in an unmarked car! They offered me a driver awareness course I took the points. There is lots of positive feedback about the course however, I just was unwilling to pay the extra £20 when I was already aware of the dangers of speeding and I’d just had a stupid day!

footflaps

you will be able to view a large variety of neck tattoos

Most people in my gym have tattoos everywhere, it just seems to be an ‘under 30’ thing now….

Jakester
    Free Member

I’ve been on one, found it very useful in a sort of “oh, hadn’t thought of that” type of way. “Third gear hold” was a technique I hadn’t really appreciated (stay in 3rd in a modern car in a 30mph zone as it’s very easy to creep up if you shift to 4th).

Though I did have a row with the convenor – when asked for reasons why people were speeding, I said “because I wanted to get there quickly”. She said that it’s a fallacy, I pointed out it’s physics – if I drive to the same spot faster than another car, I will get there more quickly.

Still, saved me the points… 😆

wordnumb
    Free Member

it just seems to be an ‘under 30’ thing now….

Not unlike many of our roads.

Cougar

Never ceases to amaze me how many people “learn loads” from these things. If you’re learning loads you shouldn’t have been on the roads in the first place, book some lessons.

“Third gear hold” was a technique I hadn’t really appreciated (stay in 3rd in a modern car in a 30mph zone as it’s very easy to creep up if you shift to 4th).

You can achieve much the same effect by throwing five pound notes out of the window.

footflaps

“Third gear hold” was a technique I hadn’t really appreciated (stay in 3rd in a modern car in a 30mph zone as it’s very easy to creep up if you shift to 4th).

I used to use 6th in my V6 Golf, it was the only gear where the slightest tap on the accelerator wouldn’t launch the thing forward like a rocket….

bensales
    Free Member

Jakester – Member

I remember being taught that when I learnt to drive in 1994. 1st up to 10, 2nd to 20, 3rd to 30, hold. Fine for a 1litre Metro, but not convinced otherwise or sure how it translates to my modern 8 speed automatic which is likely in 8th at 30mph.

Cougar

I remember being taught that when I learnt to drive in 1994. 1st up to 10, 2nd to 20, 3rd to 30, hold.

30, into fourth, I was taught (a couple of years prior to that).

Sounds like bad advice to me. It’s a lot easier (and more economical, so better for environment and wallet) to hold a speed in a less responsive gear.

nedrapier

Open road, fair enough, but that doesn’t happen that often.

How often do people complain on here about pointless overtakes from cars in traffic? “You just get to the next red light quicker.”

One thing I found useful from my course was the maths of allowing more space in front – most people concertina into less than a second spacing, because they say people will cut into a 2 second gap. Chappy invited us to consider an hour on the motorway, every minute someone cuts in front into your 2 second gap, and you drop back to open up a new 2 second gap to new car in front.

This will destroy your journey time to the tune of 60 seconds. Cue a wave of realisation across the room that the penalty for calm driving is negligible, the rewards for aggressive, entitled, wound-up driving are so slender.

More of this kind of understanding would be great: traffic happens, allow enough time for your journey, get there relaxed and safe. Fewer accidents, fewer deaths, fewer fights, fewer road-rage threads on here, less bandwidth on youtube…

aracer
    Free Member

I’ve heard of that one without having to go on a course. I use 4th gear in a 30 in order to save fuel and decrease pollution, and rely on a light right foot and paying attention.

whitestone
    Free Member

You can achieve much the same effect by throwing five pound notes out of the window.

Actually, there’s sod all difference (at least in our car), maybe 0.1mpg worse. 30mph happens to be about the speed that moving into fourth gear “feels right” in our car. It’s a useful technique as is having the window open so you get more environmental feedback – if you live in Yorkshire this does mean that the interior of your car is soaked from the horizontal rain 😆

sbob
    Free Member

Cougar – Moderator

It’s a lot easier (and more economical, so better for environment and wallet) to hold a speed in a less responsive gear.

Not down a hill it’s not.

Horses for courses.

aracer
    Free Member

Happens often enough for me to have been caught speeding twice on one! I’ve seen similar comments a lot on here – which simply suggests that those making them live somewhere different to me and/or drive at different times. Yes I do plenty of driving on congested roads, but also plenty on roads which are empty enough that the time it takes to get somewhere has an inverse relationship with the speed you drive at (the first time I was caught was doing 85 in a 70 limit – driving at that speed got me to my destination 20 minutes earlier). A significant proportion of my driving at the moment is on a trip where about half the time I’m limited by other vehicles, but half the time if I’m so inclined I can get there significantly quicker by driving faster and making use of overtaking spots (I’m normally chilled and have plenty of time so drive slower to save fuel, but it is a nice road to drive when not in a queue of traffic).

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 55 total)

The topic ‘Speed awareness course tomorrow’ is closed to new replies.