Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Specs..
  • sargey

Hi all,I’ve been using reading glasses for a while now but after my latest visit to the opticians I now need varifocals for day to day use.
    Do any of you use normal single vision glasses for trail riding or have you got prescription safety lenses.

Cheers dave.

chipster

I just use my varifocals.

slowoldman

My varifocals are plastic lenses anyway. However they cost a small fortune so it’s the previous prescription that get pressed into service more biking.

I have some single vision inserts in Adidas sport glasses but they don’t work well with my helmet – foul the shell and jiggle about.

I may have some cheap (maybe!) single vision specs made up if I can get my old frames reglazed but that then gives me problems map reading.

uphillcursing
    Free Member

I use a pair of normal “seeing” glasses for riding. Once tried riding in my varifocals and it was not a successful venture.

leffeboy

Just use normal specs as the ‘glass’ is plastic and the frames usually give way first

sargey

Cheers, will try glasses tonight.

deadkenny
    Free Member

For riding – contacts and non prescription Bolle safety specs. £7 a pop. Buy loads and replace as they get scratched or smashed up. Way cheaper than my original experience of smashing up prescription glasses.

I’m short sighted so have need correction for distance, hence contacts, but have no need for close up when riding. Only slight issue if I need to fiddle with small bolts on the trail but unlikely and can make do.

I have regular reading glasses as an option for use with contacts, though don’t really use them much. Other places I wear contacts are at work using computer and distance is fine for that, or going out in an evening and have little need to read stuff. At home, I just wear prescription glasses and take them off to read close up.

stevemtb
    Free Member

Had trouble with this for years, didn’t ride with glasses which wasn’t too bad unless it was a technical trail. Enduro routes became an absolute nightmare.

Can’t cope with contacts for longer than a few hours even with drops as my eyes are really dry.

Ordered two pairs of glasses in my most recent prescription for £37 delivered, cheap glasses and on buy one get one free. One pair are slightly too small but that means they’ve never moved out on the bike yet. Website I used was Goggles4u. Never used them before but would again. Very plastic frames but they do come in different colours so look very different from my day to day rimless glasses.

Had previously looked at cheap glasses from the optician (still over £100), clear inserts for my Jawbones (£215), inserts for goggles (means always wearing goggles).

Happy enough with my cheap plastic numbers. Now leave my old glasses in the van in case I lose/break the cheapies out on the trail.

iainc

have a -6.75 prescription and astigmatism and wear my regular varifocals (Oakley Wingbacks) on the bike. They took a while to adjust to but are fine now and feel totally normal. It was a revelation being able to see my Garmin 🙂

reluctantwrinkly
    Free Member

Amazon do some ace safety glasses with a small reading prescription area at the bottom of the lens if for those who only need a reading lens.they are made by voltx and are around a tenner a pair available in clear, smoked or yellow. All 3 pairs for 25 quid when available.

hairylegs
    Free Member

Contacts all the way. Even if (like me) you’re long sighted and need a varifocals you can get a contact lenses prescription to do the same job by having one eye prescribed for distance and one for close up.

Sounds a bit wierd, but your brain will compensate.

Have a word with you optician.

wl
    Free Member

Just sent some old sunglasses frames to Ciliary Blue to have single vision, clear prescription lenses fitted. They did a great job, very quickly, for £70.

johndoh
    Free Member

I guess it would depend on the varifocal set-up too.

I have ones that are for close/mid work and I swap over to normal single vision ones for driving/cycling etc.

I assume you can also get long/mid as well as the traditional long/mid/close ones.

I found that talking to my optician about my lifestyle helped them advise me on what was best for me.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Specs..’ is closed to new replies.