Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Specials & Clash Lyrics
  • cfinnimore
    Free Member

Had a bit of an indulgence this week and have noted that everything I listen to by these two particularly excellent bands is still completely relevant.

I’ve had The Right Profile & Rat Race on alot.

kayak23

Relevant enough for a coffee table even…

meehaja
    Free Member

The trumpet solo on ghost town is one of my favourite pieces of music. Why would the youth fight against them selves’? Government leaving the yout on the shelf?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    jamj1974

Both bands are some of the best things to come from these shores IMHO.

cfinnimore
    Free Member

After a decade of skirting around “The Classics” of Punk n Ska by way of Rancid, NOFX & most stuff on 90s Epitaph I’ve only made myself pay attention to The Clash & Specials this year.

So after having had London Calling on repeat for a month I need to phone my Dad to apologise for all the Greenday I made him listen to in me yout…and that he was right all along.

Bit of an epiphany, listening to lyrics written decades ago that reflect the contemporary state of affairs precisely

BlindMelon
    Free Member

kayak is that table available to buy? if so where?

meehaja
    Free Member

I met a girl who was “into” punk. Took her to see a clash covers band. She said they sounded like green day but shit. But then she also thought rancid sounded a bit like mcfly, so y’know!

DezB
    Free Member

Took her to see a clash covers band. She said they sounded like green day but shit.

She was probably right. Punk tribute bands are the shittest thing ever.

About as far from punk as you can get, but a song from over 50 years ago that is still relevant now.
    (Give it time, it’s not what you expect at first)
    [video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=skCADm40EBE[/video]

cfinnimore
    Free Member

Lordy, just bought Joe Strummers solo catalogue.

True greats pass to soon, what excellent music!

This has been a good punk week.

emsz
    Free Member

I can just about stand Rudi can’t fail, but I never got the clash

RustySpanner

emsz – Member

I can just about stand Rudi can’t fail, but I never got the clash
    Posted 3 minutes ago # Report-Post

Go and stand in the corner and think about what you’ve said.

When your sorry, come back and apologise and we’ll see if we can rebuild things from there.

But it’s going to be difficult and I can’t promise anything.

‘Make a grown man cry like a girl
    To see the guns dying at sunset’

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pGv3DtW48DI[/video]

MSP

Thats actually pretty crap.

Kato

He don’t like his boring job no…

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yBt3_TuhuEw[/video]

meehaja
    Free Member

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eQavjs3TPNQ[/video]

Rebel truce, worth seeing. Sadly, being born in 82 means I missed punk the first few times round, and came in on the back of the So-cal epitaph/fat wreck/hellcat bands.

Remember, not getting the clash is like not getting maths. Its still right, even if you don’t understand it!

RustySpanner

MSP – Member

Thats actually pretty crap.

Adds name to ‘Gits’ list.
    Reserves place in Gulag.

kayak23

BlindMelon – Member
    kayak is that table available to buy? if so where?

Not sure really. I made it as a demo piece in marquetry for the students on the course I teach on. Took me a while… 😯

It did make me think about doing a whole series of classic album covers though… 🙂

emsz
    Free Member

I sort of lump them In with bands like Blur or Oasis, stuff my dad listens to, and one day if I run out of things to listen to, I might get round to a couple of tracks.

I would have to be very bored though 😆

DezB
    Free Member

I sort of lump them In with bands like Blur or Oasis

Foolish child

aka_Gilo
    Free Member

Have to say, though I still listen to a lot of late ’70s punk, I never really got the Clash. I love the first album, but after that it’s all good, very good actually, but I never really felt the love.

BlindMelon
    Free Member

Not sure really. I made it as a demo piece in marquetry for the students on the course I teach on. Took me a while…
    It did make me think about doing a whole series of classic album covers though…

You should. I think it looks fantastic. You could start production with Metallica’s Black album to ease you into it!

Shak47

The Clash’s Give them Enough Rope has been the album I keep going back to over the years.
    Safe European Home, Tommy Gun and Mick Jones’s Stay Free, cannae be beat time for some noise!

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

The Clash first album ranks in my top 5 and probably my fave 70’s punk album. Wasn’t a massive fan at the time (that was their only album I owned back then, but I loved it), I was a bit younger so more into early 80’s The Cramps/DK/Crass stuff. It’s the only album from that era which continued to get played years after and still gets played from time to time today.

john_drummer
    Free Member

I sort of lump them In with bands like Blur or Oasis, stuff my dad listens to, and one day if I run out of things to listen to, I might get round to a couple of tracks.

I would have to be very bored though

+1 Give Em Enough Rope. And it goes without saying, London Calling. On repeat.
    Sandinista’s a bit of a Curate’s Egg, while Combat Rock is much more commercial

try also The Damned (early-ish) – Machine Gun Etiquette, The Black Album, Strawberries; Siouxsie & The Banshees – JuJu or Kaleidoscope; Stiff Little Fingers – Inflammable Material*, Nobody’s Heroes or Go For It. that should get you going for starters. Then move onto New Model Army – Vengeance, just as punky attitude but a different way of doing it.

dannyh
    Free Member

Hmmmmm. I have always been a clash fan, but great lyrics? Really? Great attitude, great style, great energy. But not great lyrics. “Up and down the Westway, in and out the light. What a great traffic system, they’re so bright”.

Not exactly Paul Simon league!

I do agree that a lot of it is still relevant today, but then there are a lot of similarities in the situation teenagers in particular are in today.

Bad times = good music. Got something to sing about rather than bleating on about lurve all the time.

weare138
    Free Member

I had only heard the Specials singles but went to Aberywyth scooter rally in 88 and their first LP was on constant rotation in one pub. It left its mark. More Specials I can leave but the first one is great.
    I like The Clash first LP and Rope but can leave the rest. Paul Simenon is one cool guy.

instanthit
    Free Member

The Clash are the greatest rock’ n roll band ever. My second ever gig was the Clash supported by the Coventry automatics (soon to become the specials), now that was a night out.
    Have never got bored of listening to their stuff, and live they were awesome. There are a lot of excellent bootlegs out there which are worth a listen too.
    They were innovators but also influenced by some great artists, check out their reggae connections for starters..

dannyh
    Free Member

+1 for mentioning the reggae connection. Their version of Pressure Drop by Toots and the Maytals is the best example of punk/reggae crossover. See also White Man in Hammersmith Palais and Police and Thieves. That should get you quite neatly onto some Ska, then the world is your Oyster.

You should also check the original of I fought the law by Bobby Fuller. Very typical of Woody Mellor aka Joe Strummer and his influences.

billyblackheart
    Free Member

You could start production with Metallica’s Black album to ease you into it!

How dare you sully the name of a once great band by mentioning them on a thread about such musically illiterate low brow dull monotonous tripe as the clash.

CountZero

The Clash’s Give them Enough Rope has been the album I keep going back to over the years.
    Safe European Home, Tommy Gun and Mick Jones’s Stay Free, cannae be beat time for some noise!

Saw them on that tour, at Bath Pavilion. Great time for gigs there; The Jam, Girls School, Johnny Thunders and The Heartbreakers, (I was completely stoned out of my tiny mind for that one), Ian Dury and The Blockheads, The Human League, (original three-piece), Siouxsie and The Banshees, Spiz Energy, John Otway and Wild Willy Barratt, Elvis Costello…
    *sigh*, goes all misty-eyed… 🙂

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘Specials & Clash Lyrics’ is closed to new replies.