Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Specialized Tyres – which combo?
  • 1timmy1
    Free Member

I have a 2014 Whyte 901 and I have recently got some tubeless wheels (Pacenti TL28, 23mm internal width). I have managed to buckle the rear wheel (too much to re-true) which has prompted me to look at changing tyres. I am going to get the rear wheel rebuilt on a new Pacenti TL28 rim and have been running a 2.3 Purgatory Control on the front and 2.1 Ground Control on the rear.

I have been thinking about going wider on the rear to give me more comfort and changing to Grid casing to help now that I am running tubeless. I have been riding mainly red graded trails but want to start pushing myself a bit more.

So opinions on the following combo’s please:

2.3 Purgatory Grid front, 2.3 Ground Control Grid rear – a little more weight but very similar to current set up.

2.3 Purgatory Grid front & Rear – more weight and rolling resistance but more grip on the rear.

2.3 Butcher Control front, 2.3 Purgatory Grid rear – More grip front and rear but lots more weight and rolling resistance. The Butcher Grid weights too much for the riding I do I think as I need to cover some ground as well. Maybe this is a bit overkill?

Northwind

The Butcher’s not much slower rolling than the Purg ime and a shitload more grippy, it’s a good tradeoff. Can’t speak for the ground control though.

wiggles
    Free Member

Butcher control front slaughter grid rear

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Butcher/Slaughter.

Grippy front, schralpy rear.

Butcher Control front, Purgatory Control rear both 2.3 are what I use and they roll fine

Mine survive the rocky bits of BPW and the Peak just fine and I’m a rim dinger

colournoise

+1 Butcher/Slaughter here.

Switch to Butcher/Purgatory in the winter. Butcher/Storm if it’s really sloppy.

I use control versions and haven’t had too many sidewall issues (except bizarrely with the roots at Chicksands).

RicB

As above, unless you’re a xc whippet you’ll gain more from butcher/purg than you’ll lose, especially if you’re looking for comfort on the back and confidence to push yourself on techier trails

Butcher grid has a grippier (42a) compound than the standard control (50a I think) and that’ll improve confidence in the corners.

Purgatory control is fine unless you’re hitting very rocky trails, in which case the grid casing is worth the small weight penalty (think Antur and Helvellyn)

ime rolling resistance & weight on the front doesn’t have much of an impact. I rode Afan with a Butcher DH on the front (was going to BPW the day after and didn’t want to faff with tyres) and didn’t notice the extra weight on the climbs.

kayak23

Butcher front, purgatory rear, control. All year, all conditions. Can’t be arsed changing tyres all the time and they are spot on.
    I do have dh wheels with dh tyres (Butchers) for uplift days.

Tracey

Butcher Control front and Purgatory Control rear on all of ours, allyear round,

simondbarnes

I’m using the same as your current setup and they’ve been ace. However, I’ve done a few Lakes rides this year and holed 2 rears (both fixed easily enough with tubeless anchovies) so am probably going to put a 2.3 GC Grid on the rear when I get around to it. Thought about a butcher / purg or butcher / slaughter combo but I think my riding is a bit to jey for either or those.

1timmy1
    Free Member

Cheers everyone for all your posts. I’m not one for swapping tyres so might try out the Butcher \ Purg combo and keep them on all year round.

PJM1974
    Free Member

Butcher / Purgatory, both with Grid carcass.

jointhedotz
    Free Member

Why not just get the 2.3 GC for the rear if you were otherwise happy with the 2.1.

I’m liking my purg/GC 2.3 combo so far

trickydisco
    Free Member

Butcher Control front, Purgatory Control rear both 2.3 are what I use and they roll fine

Mine survive the rocky bits of BPW and the Peak just fine and I’m a rim dinger

+1

Been running this combo for ages and prefer them to the old maxxis tyres i ran before

legend
    Free Member

What compound is a Purgatory Grid? I’d like a Butcher Grid on the back but screw dragging around a 42a rear tyre all the time.

tenfoot

I’m not one for swapping tyres so might try out the Butcher \ Purg combo and keep them on all year round.

Works for me. Butcher front, Purg rear, all year round.

simondbarnes

What compound is a Purgatory Grid?

60a centre, 50a shoulders

chrismac

Always a butcher on the front. Either a purgatory or a slaughter on the back depending on the time of year

bone_idle
    Free Member

Butcher front and purgatory rear both control and all year round, best tire combo out there for all conditions no interest in other tires they are that good.

bowglie

My OH has Butcher front, 2.3 GC rear on her trail bike and really likes them – good balance of comfort, rolling resistance and grip for general pootling. I’ve borrowed the bike for a quick blast a few times when she hasn’t been looking and really liked the tyres (subjective stuff, but the butcher feels slightly less wooden than my usual magic Mary snakeskin). Have used 2.1 GC’s before and found the 2.3 much better.

smurfly13
    Free Member

Well based on this threat I have just ordered a Butcher Control and a Purg Control…. damn you all!

fr0sty125
    Free Member

Why not Slaughter front and rear, I imagine it will be really good as long as it’s not steep and you don’t need to brake.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Specialized Tyres – which combo?’ is closed to new replies.