Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Specialized tyres – help me out
  • honourablegeorge

Looking for an all rounder set of AM tyres, something equivalent to Hans Dampf, so

2.35ish
    Reasonably light (800g ballpark)
    Grippy
    Decent on roots, cope in mud
    Tubeless ready

Looking at the CLutch SX,don’t think it comes in tubeless, does it?

alfabus
    Free Member

how about hans dampfs?

Clobber
    Free Member

butcher?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    honourablegeorge

Anyone using the butcher? How do they rate?

alfabus
    Free Member

how about hans dampfs?

Let me rephrase… why do you want specialized in particular? If you want ‘something equivalent to Hans Dampf’, why not just use hans dampfs?

Dave

tinman66
    Free Member

I’ve got a 2.3 Butcher on the front of mine and after one relatively short afternoon’s riding I’m impressed. Nice and grippy but also roll pretty quickly.

Although haven’t tried them in muddier conditions yet.

honourablegeorge

alfabus – Member
    how about hans dampfs?
    Let me rephrase… why do you want specialized in particular? If you want ‘something equivalent to Hans Dampf’, why not just use hans dampfs?

Dave

Already on them – just investigating alternatives, seeing if there’s something better out there.

(I don’t want to write “because I’m a tart” but I will if I have to)

renton
    Free Member

how about the new purgatory 2.3 !!

alfabus
    Free Member

(I don’t want to write “because I’m a tart” but I will if I have to)

😆

I’d have rated Schwalbe higher up the ‘tart’ tree than Spesh though.

Dave

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

Butcher Control 2Bliss? Should be available properly any time now (rather than random odd sets not officially available in the UK, hence sporadic supply).

Minion EXO? Similar rolling resistance to an HD, yet noticably better grip?

Not tubeless ready but mine have gone up on Flows, Arch EX’s & Haven rims with a liberal use of soapy water & a crap Park track pump.

honourablegeorge

Aren’t the Minions more biased towards dry conditions, HN?

Am on Crossmax SX, not sure about non-tubless tyres run tubeless on UST rims

Northwind

I haven’t used the Hans Dampf, but the Butcher Control’s the best front tyre I’ve used for ages. Not fast rolling, but then it’s the size of a 2.5 minion. Grippier than a maxxpro, slippier than a supertacky, clears better and grips better in mud and slides nicer when it slides. Doesn’t seem quite as good on hardpack, but not far off it.

The SX tyres aren’t officially tubeless but they act like they should be. Clutch isn’t as standout a tyre IMO, it’s decent but it doesn’t shine, and tbh the Butcher is better than it in most conditions bar the dry.

honourablegeorge

Sounds good then. I dunno what dry is, have heard of it, but not seen it.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I’ve got an Eskar on the front of my Pitch and it’s great, I suspect it’s probably for dryer conditions than the Hans Dampf which looks more like the Purgatory.

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

The Butcher is a slightly lower profile version of the Minion but very, very similar, so ride like a Minion, perhaps with a little less drag on hard ground.

Minion was originally used for that, but a lot of people use them for everything (me included). Only time I tend not to is in deep, thick mud. Otherwise they work well for me.

I’ve tried some HD’s and they were pretty good also, just lacked the outright grip of a Minion, more noticeable when leaning the bike over or on off camber sections – the side lugs on the Minion seem better.

Non tubeless tyres work on UST rims – as ever it depends on the combination to a certain degree. These Minions went up as easily as the 2Bliss Spec’s I have as well on an Easton UST rim.

godzilla
    Free Member

Purgatory 2.3 front Eskar rear at the moment.
    New Purgatory is geat in slime.

Northwind

Eskar’s a fairly hard-feeling tyre, I quite like it on the rear (as it’s knobbly and big, but fast) but it’s not what I’d choose for this. Good though.

Re Butcher vs Minion… I’ve not had them side by side to compare but it doesn’t seem lower profile. The main difference is the knobs are more spaced out and regular, which I reckon is what makes them better in mud.

And yup, most Maxxises tubeless up absolutely fine- quite a lot of rubber in them which makes for good sealing, and the carcasses are good quality. Only ever had one that wouldn’t IIRC.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Specialized tyres – help me out’ is closed to new replies.