Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • specialized tricross?? any good?
  • renton
    Free Member

I’ve been offered a used but in mint condition 2012 specialized tricross sport disc.

Are they any good?

I will be using it as a commuter bike so it’s either this or a Boardman hybrid.

It’s priced at 450 is that a good price?

Cheers

Steve

andypaul99
    Free Member

For that price Yes. At retail i would run a mile though, had one for about a week. Quite possibly the worst bike i ever owned.

MoreCashThanDash

Great all round bikes. That’s a good price if it’s really that good. A mate has had one as his commuter/bad weather/beast of burden bike and really rates it for what it us.

Earlier ones had fork failure issues iirc

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    mountainman

Agree with comments on forks with earlier models,mines a 2009 model,with canti brakes n resultant fork judder.
    But otherwise a fair ride for commute or general road use/touring as i’ve used mine for.

Speshpaul

fork issues were pre disc, so no worries. Don’t buy it thinkings its a cyclocross race bike, its a fun cross off road tourer type thing.
    enjoy 😀

renton
    Free Member

I”ve seen the pics a d it does look mint!

How do they size up r

renton
    Free Member

Andypaul can you tell me why it was the worst bike you owned??

Bregante

Renton,how tall are you? I’m 6’1 and ride a 58 tricross with room for adjustment either way.I commute on mine and it’s the only bike I’ve ever had twice (mines a single speed). Great bikes in my opinion.

renton
    Free Member

Bregante….. I to am 6 foot 1 and a bit and the one im looking at is a 58cm model so you have just put my mind at rest about the sizing. :mrgreen:

renton
    Free Member

Just bumping this to see if anyone else has an opinion on this bike as I’ve seen some mixed reviews online!!

andypaul99
    Free Member

Andypaul can you tell me why it was the worst bike you owned??

I just could’nt get on with it, the bike felt heavy, unresponsive and the stock gearing was awful no matter how many adjustments i made, which could only be put down to the internal cable routing i guess. I lost patience with the bike in the end as it had no redeeming factors to it.

As ive said here before, when i was riding it off road i wished for my MTB and on road i wished i was on my road bike, sorry just my honest john opinion, others may disagree!

timbur
    Free Member

Had a 58cm Tricross SS.
    Top draw ride offroad and a riot on the road in the winter as well.
    Only used for an off road commute and 1-1.5hr blasts but I look back fondly on it.

A friend has a geared version and really likes it. He uses it for road and CX. Older V brake version though.

Forks are pig ugly to look at but you don’t notice them so much when your actually on it :O)

leftyboy
    Free Member

I ran a Tricross SS for 3 years as a commuter and it was great. It was a little heavy but it never required much in the way of repairs other than a new front ring. Only stopped riding it when I got hit by a car and it was written off.

ton

I had a tricross for few months, once I had sorted a brakehanger to stop the judder it was fine.
    toured in the Pyrenees with it…..no problems at all.

renton
    Free Member

Ton I am gutted you can’t post that 29 er as I would be buying that instead!

samcheese
    Free Member

I’ve had a Tricross for about 5 years. I commute on it every day, and I’ve toured on it.

It’s a great workhorse and I’d have no hesitation in recommending one for the job the OP has in mind.

But it’s dull to ride – it’s not the kind of bike that’s going to put a smile on your face.

renton
    Free Member

Will it be any slower than a hybrid??

If I don’t get on with the drops is there anything stopping me putting a flat bar on it?

kcal

the mechanic at Stuarts in Forres has one, been using it a lot for commuting, can be a bit fiddly to set up (possibly the cable routing) but its served him well — so if it needs sorted should get some good experience in resolving problems!

Garry_Lager

Good bike – like samcheese above I’ve used mine for all sorts and it’s a fine jack-of-all-trades, but not a bike to really inspire IME. The boardman hybrid isn’t either, so at £450 the tricross looks a good call.

globalti
    Free Member

My winter bike is a Tricross disc fitted with mudguards. It’s slow-steering and sluggish and quite heavy but fantastically comfortable, seems to require no maintenenace at all; the gears (Sora or 105, can’t remember) keep shifting smoothly and easily no matter how criminally I neglect it, off road or on snow and ice it’s fantastically stable and it’s quicker up hills than a mountain bike. The gear ratios with 50/40/30 and 11-30 are excellent. Loaded up with panniers and a rack it’s super-stable and you don’t even really feel the extra mass. It makes an excellent all-purpose bike though you wouldn’t use it for genuine cyclocross racing. If I was going to use it for touring I’d fit a Charge Spoon saddle and some padded bar tape with gel inserts and it would be the ultimate long-haul go-anywhere bike.

Oh, and you can fit 23mm tyres, which makes it faster on tarmac but looks silly with the mudguards.

MoreCashThanDash

I’ve always wanted a Singlecross as a winter/commuter bike. Wonder if Spesh will ever reintroduce it with a disc brake?

renton
    Free Member

So from what I can gather its will be perfect for my 7 mile commute in north Scotland where the weather is likely to be rubbish and at 450 its a good buy providing it fits!

Would it look silly with flat bars?

Bregante

I’ve got a pic somewhere of mine with flat bars when its previous owner had it. Give us your email and I’ll try to find it.

Edit. Just found your email

renton
    Free Member

Send it through bid!!

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘specialized tricross?? any good?’ is closed to new replies.